Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cleveland Indians will remove Chief Wahoo logo from their uniforms
(01-29-2018, 08:51 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: The mascot for the Celtics and Notre Dame are leprechauns, which are mythical creatures. The rest of those aren't ethnic groups nor are any of them anywhere close to being a Chief Wahoo level over the top caricature of an ethnic group. Notice how no one gives a shit about the chiefs, just the Redskins and Indians. You can make the argument against the Celtics and the Fighting Irish, though the Fighting Irish got their name because the original team that called themselves that was made up of Irish players. 

Any time someone mentions that the Chiefs exist, I point out that it's a rank or title, not a mislabeled ethnicity or skin color.  Seems pretty simple to me.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(01-30-2018, 12:41 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Living in NC, I've come to know and like a few tribesman in my day.  In fact, one is my strength coach.  His only complaint about Chief Wahoo is that most natives don't have the big, bright teeth depicted in the caricature..

I doubt they had an actual Indian model for the chief wahoo artwork. It’s nothjng more than a fun cartoon that kids will enjoy.
(01-30-2018, 01:30 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I doubt they had an actual Indian model for the chief wahoo artwork.  It’s nothjng more than a fun cartoon that kids will enjoy.

Actually it's just latest, least offensive version.

http://beltmag.com/secret-history-chief-wahoo/
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(01-30-2018, 10:24 AM)GMDino Wrote: Actually it's just latest, least offensive version.

http://beltmag.com/secret-history-chief-wahoo/

From your link.

Quote:Indians owner Bill Veeck hired a kid named Walter Goldbach, 17, who designed the caricature. Goldbach, who worked for a local ad agency

A kid made a caricature.

As for the other stuff...: seems like the Cleveland plain dealer did the little Indian and of everything that was probably the most offensive of all the stuff. Although I found it funny. And it seems like it was well received by the people of Cleveland
(01-30-2018, 10:59 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: From your link.  

A kid made a caricature.

As for the other stuff...: seems like the Cleveland plain dealer did the little Indian and of everything that was probably the most offensive of all the stuff.   Although I found it funny.  And it seems like it was well received by the people of Cleveland

Right...and now people don't like it because it seems a bit racist.

[Image: photo-3.jpg]

Well, some people like it.  Maybe because it seems a bit racist?
(01-30-2018, 11:10 AM)GMDino Wrote: Right...and now people don't like it because it seems a bit racist.

Na I like it because it’s fun. He makes me smile.
(01-30-2018, 11:12 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Na I like it because it’s fun.  He makes me smile.

I'm stunned it makes you smile.  Mellow
(01-30-2018, 11:13 AM)GMDino Wrote: I'm stunned it makes you smile.  Mellow

You do realize what a caricature is right? We just went to a local seafood festival here last weekend and there was a caricature artist there doing them. Shocking to no one, my wife’s came out making her slanted a bit towards Natasha Fatale.

Should she be offended or just take it in stride because of the nature of the artwork?
(01-30-2018, 11:19 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: You do realize what a caricature is right?   We just went to a local seafood festival here last weekend and there was a caricature artist there doing them.   Shocking to no one, my wife’s came out making her slanted a bit towards Natasha Fatale.

Should she be offended or just take it in stride because of the nature of the artwork?

You should not be offended if you went and asked for what you got.

If someone just took a photo of your wife and started passing around stereotype caricatures of her that offended you without your permission that should offend you.
Personally, can we just get rid of team names with ethnic/racial implications behind them and move on? I don't care whether or not anyone finds them offensive, it just seems in poor taste. That being said, I went to schools that were the Knights, the Blue Streaks, and the Dukes. So take it wouldn't really impact me.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(01-30-2018, 11:25 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Personally, can we just get rid of team names with ethnic/racial implications behind them and move on? I don't care whether or not anyone finds them offensive, it just seems in poor taste. That being said, I went to schools that were the Knights, the Blue Streaks, and the Dukes. So take it wouldn't really impact me.

No. Lol

People can choose to not support a team if they find it in poor taste. There are a lot of names that could be In poor taste but none of the current names or logos are any that fit this description.
(01-30-2018, 11:25 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Personally, can we just get rid of team names with ethnic/racial implications behind them and move on? I don't care whether or not anyone finds them offensive, it just seems in poor taste. That being said, I went to schools that were the Knights, the Blue Streaks, and the Dukes. So take it wouldn't really impact me.

It's only a matter of time. Some institutions have been more proactive about it, and some will be stubborn and hold out.

As long as it's still making old white men smile though, you'll have regressives fighting it.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

(01-30-2018, 11:10 AM)GMDino Wrote: Right...and now people don't like it because it seems a bit racist.

The first part is correct.

The second part is partially correct.  There are people that will hold on to this because it represents racism, but I think that they're legitimately frightened by change, especially when it's a change due to a sensitivity issue.  They actually enjoy the insensitive aspect of it because of the reaction from others.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

(01-30-2018, 11:38 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: No.  Lol

People can choose to not support a team if they find it in poor taste.  There are a lot of names that could be In poor taste but none of the current names or logos are any that fit this description.*

*In one white guy's opinion.
(01-30-2018, 12:00 PM)GMDino Wrote: *In one white guy's opinion.

So list every team name and logo you think is offensive.
(01-30-2018, 12:10 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: So list every team name and logo you think is offensive.

Every?  How about the two most obvious because they are in the national spotlight?

Redskins is clearly an insult and therefore offensive to native americans.

I think Chief Wahoo is an offensive caricature that harkens back to a time when such things were accepted...but now they are not.

Times change brother.
You know what is interesting?  Chuck E. Cheese started off as a cigar-smoking, 1920's gangster-talking rat and he eventually morphed over time into a more kid-friendly wimp before being changed from a rat to a mouse.  That's amusing that they softened the image to the point where they decided to change his species.

[Image: cec_vest-paisley.jpg]
[Image: 640?cb=20150803124315]
(01-30-2018, 12:44 PM)Nately120 Wrote: You know what is interesting?  Chuck E. Cheese started off as a cigar-smoking, 1920's gangster-talking rat and he eventually morphed over time into a more kid-friendly wimp before being changed from a rat to a mouse.  That's amusing that they softened the image to the point where they decided to change his species.

[Image: cec_vest-paisley.jpg]
[Image: 640?cb=20150803124315]

Those logos show what’s wrong with this whole deal. The 80’s version was fine.
(01-29-2018, 06:21 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I understand the reasoning for this change, but I will point out that likely not a single person pushing for this change has ever brought up:

[Image: th?id=OIP.Z_stJgC6bpj0-hjir17TEgHaHa&pid=1.1]

Oh I am sure it has been mentioned before.....

By the same white people who claimed they were the victims of oppression at the hands of BET.

Poor white people, why won't anyone stand up for them Cry Cry
(01-29-2018, 07:26 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: [Image: tampa_bay_buccaneers_old.jpg?w=1000&h=750]

Actually I think protests from the gay community got rid of this logo.