Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cleveland Police Ask For Emergency Suspension Of Open Carry Laws During Rep. Conv.
http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2016/07/17/3799163/cleveland-police-ask-emergency-suspension-open-carry-laws-republican-convention/

Quote:Ohio is an “open carry” state which allows gun owners to carry them in plain sight. People have been exercising this right around the site of the Republican convention:

Strangely, in the area around the convention, “tennis balls, metal-tipped umbrellas or canned goods” are prohibited. But AR-15s or other firearms are not.
But now, the Cleveland Police Union has made an emergency request to suspend open carry for the duration of the Republican convention.

Quote:

Follow
[Image: rTCCKGJr_normal.jpeg]ABC News Politics 

@ABCPolitics
NEW: Cleveland Police Patrolmen’s Association drafting asking OH Gov. John Kasich to suspend open carry in Cleveland during RNC Convention.
1:46 PM - 17 Jul 2016

•  

•  132132 Retweets

• [url=https://twitter.com/intent/like?tweet_id=754733963059535872] 7979 likes

“We are sending a letter to Gov. Kasich requesting assistance from him. He could very easily do some kind of executive order or something — I don’t care if it’s constitutional or not at this point,” Cleveland Police Union president Stephen Loomis told CNN.

The request may be related to the violence in Baton Rogue, where three police officers were killed today. (Loomis also blamed Obama for those shootings, saying he had “blood on his hands.”)

The request will put Governor Kasich in an awkward position. In general Republicans argue that open-carry laws are an important party of the right to bear arms and improve public safety. The research does not support this argument.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
I support this, as long as it's restricted to an area no more than a half mile radius.
I've also thought that any form of political protest should take place no closer than 50 yards away from the protested event. (including abortion clinics, ect..)

I've pulled these numbers out of my posterior, just in case anyone requests data to justify the distances.
Tongue
Dudes who open carry AR15s should be arrested for being douchebags. What exactly are you trying to prove?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
How about just getting rid of open carry Ninja
I see no issue with making the Convention and the surrounding area "Gun Free" while the convention is going on.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Thanks for bringing your clown show to our state.

Sincerely

Ohio
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
I thought gun free zones made people less safe.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(07-17-2016, 05:39 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I thought gun free zones made people less safe.

Do you think all the cops and secret service there won't have guns?
--------------------------------------------------------

(07-17-2016, 05:44 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Do you think all the cops and secret service there won't have guns?

Do you think cops can't carry in other gun free zones?

I get what you're saying, I just enjoy the irony.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(07-17-2016, 05:53 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Do you think cops can't carry in other gun free zones?

I get what you're saying, I just enjoy the irony.

Cops generally aren't stationed or even patrolling gun free zones...that's what makes them, you know, a "gun free" zone.
--------------------------------------------------------

(07-17-2016, 05:39 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I thought gun free zones made people less safe.

No you didn't. 

WTS, this is not a typical gun-free zone, There will be many armed professionals. 

(07-17-2016, 06:05 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Cops generally aren't stationed or even patrolling gun free zones...that's what makes them, you know, a "gun free" zone.

So, schools with resource officers and college campuses with either their own police force or armed security don't count? I mean, those and government buildings like courthouses, which also have armed officers, are the most common gun free zones. Our hospital is a gun free zone with armed security personnel.

The more I think about the more I realize that other than private businesses and churches, every gun free zone I can think of has armed security personnel or police regularly there, if not a substation even.

(07-17-2016, 06:16 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: So, schools with resource officers and college campuses with either their own police force or armed security don't count? I mean, those and government buildings like courthouses, which also have armed officers, are the most common gun free zones. Our hospital is a gun free zone with armed security personnel.

The more I think about the more I realize that other than private businesses and churches, every gun free zone I can think of has armed security personnel or police regularly there, if not a substation even.

Good points, indeed.  However, we're not talking about school and college campi, or even hospitals.  We're talking about a specific event, that may require special circumstances to protect the safety of all involved.  Heck, I'm sure the DNC is already taking these things into consideration for their event in Philly.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(07-17-2016, 06:39 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Good points, indeed.  However, we're not talking about school and college campi, or even hospitals.  We're talking about a specific event, that may require special circumstances to protect the safety of all involved.  Heck, I'm sure the DNC is already taking these things into consideration for their event in Philly.

It is kind of like when you're deployed. When you enter a secure location you clear your weapon. When you are outside a secure area you lock and load. 

BTW did you type campi for the plural of campus?

(07-17-2016, 06:57 PM)bfine32 Wrote: It is kind of like when you're deployed. When you enter a secure location you clear your weapon. When you are outside a secure area you lock and load. 

BTW did you type campi for the plural of campus?

I was going to ask the same thing. That is how I read it. If it isn't a word, I am still gonna use it in the future. Lol
(07-17-2016, 07:21 PM)CharvelPlaya Wrote: I was going to ask the same thing. That is how I read it. If it isn't a word, I am still gonna use it in the future. Lol

I'd look the word up on Urban Dictionary, first.
LOL
(07-17-2016, 07:21 PM)CharvelPlaya Wrote: I was going to ask the same thing. That is how I read it. If it isn't a word, I am still gonna use it in the future. Lol

It is irregular/uncommon, but still technically correct. The best kind of correct.

Seems like a good idea. We all know there will be epic protesting and the Democrats, of course, will be sending in their goon squads to start the fires and then feed them with gasoline. Therefore, better not to tempt fate.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

(07-17-2016, 07:51 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: I'd look the word up on Urban Dictionary, first.
LOL

True. LOL
(07-17-2016, 04:01 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Dudes who open carry AR15s should be arrested for being douchebags.  What exactly are you trying to prove?

That they don't have micro dongs.

With regards to the topic at hand: cops and secret service have a tough job during the convention. Make life easier for them in a reasonable manner.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]