Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clock Boy
Chicago (AFP) - The Muslim teenager arrested when a teacher mistook his homemade clock for a bomb threatened to sue his school and the town of Irving, Texas for $15 million, his lawyer said Monday.

http://news.yahoo.com/us-muslim-teen-accused-clock-bomb-seeks-15-230327782.html

His attorneys are seeking $5 million in damages from the school district and $10 million from the city of Irving and said they will file a civil suit if they do not receive a reply within 60 days.

______
I guess meeting the President and the Qatar full scholarship wasn't enough.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Any judge worth their robe will send this fool packing.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Haha thought clock boy went to Qatar?

Guess his dad is looking for seed money for his next election run.
(11-23-2015, 09:55 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Any judge worth their robe will send this fool packing.

It likely won't see one. Elected officials have to be bonded. So does the city. I'm not sure on school board members, but the district will have some kind of insurance policy.

And right now some guy from the insurance company (companies?) is drawing up a plan for how much they pay because it's cheaper than going to court. They'll weigh court costs and attorney fees versus settling for a couple million. And bam, clock boy will settle for an undisclosed settlement six months from now.
(11-23-2015, 11:24 PM)Benton Wrote: It likely won't see one. Elected officials have to be bonded. So does the city. I'm not sure on school board members, but the district will have some kind of insurance policy.

And right now some guy from the insurance company (companies?) is drawing up a plan for how much they pay because it's cheaper than going to court. They'll weigh court costs and attorney fees versus settling for a couple million. And bam, clock boy will settle for an undisclosed settlement six months from now.

So...

Step 1: buy a clock
Step 2: take it apart and put it in a suitcase
Step 3: bring it to school
Step 4: ????
Step 5: Profit
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
(11-23-2015, 11:38 PM)Aquapod770 Wrote: So...

Step 4 is you need a school that's dumb enough to think a clock is a bomb...and then not evacuate the building and call the cops and have them interrogate a student without notifying his parents. 
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Here in LA kids are prosecuted all the time for bringing replica weapons to school. In any event the more you learn about this kid and his family the more they disgust you. Contrary to Benton's, sadly likely correct assessment, I'd really like to see this case go to trial. There's zero chance that a Texas jury will give this manipulative family of opportunists a dime. Enjoy your life in enlightened Qatar.
(11-23-2015, 11:38 PM)Aquapod770 Wrote: So...

Only a couple of us know this format.
Wink

We should start green text stories, next.
(11-24-2015, 12:23 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Here in LA kids are prosecuted all the time for bringing replica weapons to school.  In any event the more you learn about this kid and his family the more they disgust you.  Contrary to Benton's, sadly likely correct assessment, I'd really like to see this case go to trial.  There's zero chance that a Texas jury will give this manipulative family of opportunists a dime.  Enjoy your life in enlightened Qatar.

And yet, if this was some elaborate plot...it all worked out in their favor.  From the way the school handled it to the way the public opinion rolled.

They'll probably still cash in on it one way of the other.
(11-24-2015, 12:28 AM)GMDino Wrote: And yet, if this was some elaborate plot...it all worked out in their favor.  From the way the school handled it to the way the public opinion rolled.

They'll probably still cash in on it one way of the other.

Honestly, it's not that elaborate.  Schools tend to overreact in the current climate.  I recall a case in which a grade school kid, 3rd graded iirc, was suspended for drawing a picture of a marine killing a Taliban.  Or there's the case of the kid being suspended for using their fingers as pretend guns.  Post columbine, let alone post sandy hook, any kid bringing something to school that resembles a bomb is guaranteed to elicit a heavy handed response.  Also, again iirc, a teacher from a previous class specifically told this kid not to show the "clock" to anyone else because he knew it could be viewed as an explosive device.  Again, the deeper you dig on this family the more this whole thing stinks like a sack of skunk assholes.
(11-24-2015, 12:34 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Honestly, it's not that elaborate.  Schools tend to overreact in the current climate.  I recall a case in which a grade school kid, 3rd graded iirc, was suspended for drawing a picture of a marine killing a Taliban.  Or there's the case of the kid being suspended for using their fingers as pretend guns.  Post columbine, let alone post sandy hook, any kid bringing something to school that resembles a bomb is guaranteed to elicit a heavy handed response.  Also, again iirc, a teacher from a previous class specifically told this kid not to show the "clock" to anyone else because he knew it could be viewed as an explosive device.  Again, the deeper you dig on this family the more this whole thing stinks like a sack of skunk assholes.

I've been saying this for quite a while.
I was called anti-Muslim for it though.
Rolleyes
(11-24-2015, 12:34 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Honestly, it's not that elaborate.  Schools tend to overreact in the current climate.  I recall a case in which a grade school kid, 3rd graded iirc, was suspended for drawing a picture of a marine killing a Taliban.  Or there's the case of the kid being suspended for using their fingers as pretend guns.  Post columbine, let alone post sandy hook, any kid bringing something to school that resembles a bomb is guaranteed to elicit a heavy handed response.  Also, again iirc, a teacher from a previous class specifically told this kid not to show the "clock" to anyone else because he knew it could be viewed as an explosive device.  Again, the deeper you dig on this family the more this whole thing stinks like a sack of skunk assholes.

I agree.  These "zero tolerance" policies were lazy and meant to make the decisions easy and instead has brought dumb situations like the ones you mentioned.
(11-24-2015, 12:39 AM)GMDino Wrote: I agree.  These "zero tolerance" policies were lazy and meant to make the decisions easy and instead has brought dumb situations like the ones you mentioned.

You'll get no argument from me on the idiocy of "zero tolerance" policies like this.  Adults are supposed to have judgment and they're supposed to be able to exercise this.  That being said, that does nothing to exculpate this asshat kid and his family.
(11-24-2015, 12:23 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Here in LA kids are prosecuted all the time for bringing replica weapons to school.  In any event the more you learn about this kid and his family the more they disgust you.  Contrary to Benton's, sadly likely correct assessment, I'd really like to see this case go to trial.  There's zero chance that a Texas jury will give this manipulative family of opportunists a dime.  Enjoy your life in enlightened Qatar.

Well said
I'd like to see it go to court just so we could get all the facts on the record. Funny how so many people here act like they know how the case would com out before they see all of the facts.

It is clear that the entire town was roiling with anti-Islamic feelings long before this incident with the clock. There is no reason not to believe this families claims that they had been victims of racist treatment at the school leading up to this. So I predict the school system will pay ionstead of going to court and having a lot of ugly information come out.

It is laughable to claim that a white kid would have been treated the same way. That is the basis of the claim.
I just don't see how a city paying him $15 Million magically "fixes" anything anymore than $1 Million does. I am one who actually thinks it was a racial issue, but at the same time this is a blatant money grab just because they can. Somewhere along the line we started awarding inflated amounts of money to people who suffered no "real" harm other than exposure to what is going to occur throughout life (Unfortunate truth). Should he get a payout? yea, probably. $15 Million? Not a chance. Let's be honest, if this ruined his life (Which I would argue it has actually offered him far more opportunities then he ever could have asked for) then he should be paid what he could have been expected to make over his lifetime assuming he is just in emotional shambles. Even being overly generous a pay out of $3 million total would be more than enough.

We really need to get our hands around these completely asinine payouts.
(11-24-2015, 12:24 PM)Au165 Wrote: I just don't see how a city paying him $15 Million magically "fixes" anything anymore than $1 Million does. I am one who actually thinks it was a racial issue, but at the same time this is a blatant money grab just because they can. Somewhere along the line we started awarding inflated amounts of money to people who suffered no "real" harm other than exposure to what is going to occur throughout life (Unfortunate truth). Should he get a payout? yea, probably. $15 Million? Not a chance. Let's be honest, if this ruined his life (Which I would argue it has actually offered him far more opportunities then he ever could have asked for) then he should be paid what he could have been expected to make over his lifetime assuming he is just in emotional shambles. Even being overly generous a pay out of $3 million total would be more than enough.

We really need to get our hands around these completely asinine payouts.

I agree that when dealing with a school there is no need for $15 million pay out.  But with some large businesses $15 million would have no effect on how they conduct themselves.

That is if you look at these awards as "punitive" (to punish) instead of "compensatory" (to pay for a loss or damages).
(11-24-2015, 12:28 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I agree that when dealing with a school there is no need for $15 million pay out.  But with some large businesses $15 million would have no effect on how they conduct themselves.

That is if you look at these awards as "punitive" (to punish) instead of "compensatory" (to pay for a loss or damages).

I think the idea of punishing a whole community for the actions of a few is a horrible way to approach these things. If it was a school district/police department policy to be racist that is one thing, but we have gone overboard with the idea that every person is an extension of an entire corporation or community. The problem is individuals can be stupid and there can be no way to stop them until after it happens sometimes. I think corporations should be treated the same thing. If it was a systematic failure across the corporation make the cost substantial, but when it's a single or small group acting stupid it should be minimal.

I think he should be compensated, but I think the individuals should be fired as punishment and he should get a 10th of what he is asking for. We have gone crazy with these awards and it really needs to stop.
Fred they expelled a white kid for bringing a dangerous weapon to school.    When he ate his pop tart into the shape of a gun.  

Should they get to sue for millions?

The problem isn't anti Islamic sentiment ..... It's zero tolerance school policy.
(11-24-2015, 10:55 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I'd like to see it go to court just so we could get all the facts on the record.  Funny how so many people here act like they know how the case would com out before they see all of the facts.

It is clear that the entire town was roiling with anti-Islamic feelings long before this incident with the clock.  There is no reason not to believe this families claims that they had been victims of racist treatment at the school leading up to this.  So I predict the school system will pay ionstead of going to court and having a lot of ugly information come out.

It is laughable to claim that a white kid would have been treated the same way.  That is the basis of the claim.

And I think personally it is more about how it was handled than the who the kid was.  To me at least.

I've little doubt there wasn't *some* prejudice in their hearts and minds when they did it.  But even with that if this had been any child I feel it was handled completely wrong.