Sincerely,
The fans

Coach Austin,

It’s not us......it’s you

Sorry, we can still be friends though
The fans
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Do I even want to know how many offensive yards this defense has given up these last few games? Kansas City had to have had more than 500.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
Please quit
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2018, 09:24 AM)Big Boss Wrote: Do I even want to know how many offensive yards this defense has given up these last few games? Kansas City had to have had more than 500.

Reply/Quote
(10-22-2018, 09:18 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Dear Coach Austin,

It's just not working out for us.

Sincerely,
The fans

Austin sucks, but to be fair, he probably could have done as good as our players did when it comes to tackling.  So many times we had them stuffed for a loss and just couldn't tackle.
Reply/Quote
He has taken a decent defensive unit and somehow made them significantly worse. I question why he was hired to start with. Has Detroit ever been known for their D ?
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2018, 09:30 AM)Whatever Wrote: Austin sucks, but to be fair, he probably could have done as good as our players did when it comes to tackling.  So many times we had them stuffed for a loss and just couldn't tackle.

It has to be a coaching issue.  Tackling technique has plagued this team for over a decade.    
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
Disgruntled fans about a coach in Mike Browns eyes= extension

with Mikey's "you can't pressure me into anything" attitude
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2018, 09:31 AM)masonbengals fan Wrote: He has taken a decent defensive unit and somehow made them significantly worse. I question why he was hired to start with. Has Detroit ever been known for their D ?

When he took over in Detroit, they had two of the best DTs in the league, and the defense rated well that first season.  Then, when they left in FA in consecutive years, the defensive ratings declined proportionately.  I have an uncle who is a Lions fan, his sentiment was basically "good riddance".

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I actually miss Guenther.
Reply/Quote
Dude was not a good hire.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2018, 09:48 AM)MentalRage Wrote: I actually miss Guenther.

I don't.  He looked good at first, as it was still Zimmer's guys, running Zimmer's defense.  As Zimmer's trademark began to fade, so did the performance of the defense.

Speaking of Paully G.  how's he got that Raider defense looking this year?

What needs to happen, is for Austin to get replaced by another truly innovative defensive mind, like Zimmer, with a strong personality.  Even if it means pulling a fresh face from the college ranks, taking a chance on an up and coming positional coach, whatever it takes.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Coach put players in (for the most part) the right position. Not his fault they can’t tackle. Not his fault the offense couldn’t move the ball against a historically bad defense.

(At least Lazor won’t be getting any HCing gigs next year).

With that said, yeah Austin hasn’t exactly lit the world on fire with his crappy designs. He’s got one of the best (on paper) defensive lines in the game & can’t produce pressure, which would help the back 7. Receiver goes in motion; defense exposed. Pretty simple.
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
I don't think our position coaches are that great anymore either. There was a time when we had Vance Joseph as our db coach, secondary was really good then.

As much as I want to rip Austin up, he had the defense in the right position multiple times. How many plays were guys in the backfield on the RB, who then busted a tackle for 8 yards. The yards after contact is something that Austin has no control over. The INTs going through players hands is not something Austin can control.

He has to do better for sure, but blame the players who aren't doing their jobs as well.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2018, 10:01 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I don't.  He looked good at first, as it was still Zimmer's guys, running Zimmer's defense.  As Zimmer's trademark began to fade, so did the performance of the defense.

What needs to happen, is for Austin to get replaced by another truly innovative defensive mind, like Zimmer, with a strong personality.  Even if it means pulling a fresh face from the college ranks, taking a chance on an up and coming positional coach, whatever it takes.

Zimmer’s defense was crap against TE’s, receiving RB’s & on 3rd down too.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2018, 10:12 AM)Devils Advocate Wrote: Zimmer’s defense was crap against TE’s, receiving RB’s & on 3rd down too.

I'd gladly take that, compared to what we have now.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2018, 10:17 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'd gladly take that, compared to what we have now.

Honestly, I would too. At least Zimmer could dial up some pressure. It’s like Austin (& Guenther) rely too heavily on the front four to get pressure, while misusing (tackling) LBers against speedy recievers. At least Iloka could (sorta) cover TE’s & RB’s.

Please dear god, trade for Patrick Peterson & release (or teade) Dre K
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2018, 10:01 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I don't.  He looked good at first, as it was still Zimmer's guys, running Zimmer's defense.  As Zimmer's trademark began to fade, so did the performance of the defense.

Im not saying he's the greatest coordinator but he is better than Austin. The tackling has never been worse under him. Also John Gruden is doing everything he can to gut that defense so I don't entirely blame Guenther for how they have performed. 

I totally agree that they need someone fresh and new though. The whole coaching staff needs a fresh look. It would do the players a world of good to have a new head coach running things as well. Every year must feel like groundhog day to them.
Reply/Quote
I posted this to reply to Fred, but think it fits just how bad this D is. This was the third time in four games the Bengals have allowed at least 481 yards. They’re on pace to allow 6,781 yards for the season, which would shatter the franchise record of 6,349, set in 1995.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote