Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coach Cowher or Jon Gruden As A Bengals Coach
Probably not happening. Many do not want to work for Mike Brown......Still, either of these guys have Super Bowl Rings as Head Coaches....the problem is they are probably happy with their TV jobs.....Bengals would have to offer big money and Mike Brown doesn't like to do that......Either of these guys would demand major control over draft and all things football, and Mike Brown doesn't like that.......So, Coach Lewis has had play-off seasons 50 % of the time he has been here which is an improvement over how lousy this team was the dozen years before he got here. ........So unless we are talking bringing in one of the NFL Great Coaches with years ahead of him, which rules out somebody around 70....Then I'm for keeping Lewis........Either we bring in a great coach or stay with Lewis saying 6 play-off seasons in 8 years isn't bad. .....A great coach is going to want more money and control than Mike Brown and Pumpkin are probably willing to hand over
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Never going to happen. Ever.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
Josh McDaniels, but I hear he's holding out for Belichicks job.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
No thanks on the chin monster.

Gruden would be awesome, but I'm sure his brother told him how badly things are run here.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-21-2016, 10:22 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Josh McDaniels, but I hear he's holding out for Belichicks job.

As a head coach, he has no Super Bowl ring.....You people can throw the names out of coaches at your favorite colleges or some assistant at a NFL team you like, but I'm talking head coaches who have won in the NFL. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2016, 10:26 AM)kevin Wrote: As a head coach, he has no Super Bowl ring.....You people can throw the names out of coaches at your favorite colleges or some assistant at a NFL team you like, but I'm talking head coaches who have won in the NFL. 

So NE shouldn't have hired Belichick because he had no rings at the time?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-21-2016, 10:25 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: No thanks on the chin monster.

Gruden would be awesome, but I'm sure his brother told him how  badly things are run here.

Cowher wins.....I would sign him in a second.....I don't see him working under Mike Brown and his daughter Pumpkin.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2016, 10:25 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: No thanks on the chin monster.

Gruden would be awesome, but I'm sure his brother told him how badly things are run here.

Plus Chuckies successes can be attributed to the team he fell
into. He didn't build that SB team.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2016, 10:26 AM)kevin Wrote: As a head coach, he has no Super Bowl ring.....You people can throw the names out of coaches at your favorite colleges or some assistant at a NFL team you like, but I'm talking head coaches who have won in the NFL. 

Well no coach has a Super Bowl ring until they win one. Harbaugh was a special teams coach before he won with the Ravens, Carrol was a college coach before he won one, Hell Belicheck was the Browns coach before he won one. Just because they haven't won one yet doesn't mean they won't. Only 6 coaches ever in the history of football have taken two different franchises to the Super Bowl. History suggests your better off finding the coach who hasn't been if you want to go over one that has been before.
Reply/Quote
I'm opposed to all retreads, they never work.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2016, 10:29 AM)kevin Wrote: Cowher wins.....I would sign him in a second.....I don't see him working under Mike Brown and his daughter Pumpkin.

Cowher has been out of coaching 10 years. He isn't coming back.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2016, 10:28 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: So NE shouldn't have hired Belichick because he had no rings at the time?

I'm saying Josh McDaniel is probably no Belichick.......What would it take to get a Super Bowl Head Coach or at least a Head Coach who has won lately in the play-offs in here. ...and start rebuilding by firing Zampese. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
I don't really want a guy that has been out of football for as long as those two as our head coach.

We need someone who can come in here and coach with some discipline. I wouldn't be shocked if Tom Coughlin is our head coach with a guy on the staff pegged to take over for him when he retires. He was runner up to Lewis all those years ago, so it wouldn't surprise me in the least
Reply/Quote
I must now point out on firing Lewis.....finding a top replacement will be hard......because......Cincinnati is NOT one of the top jobs in football coaches dream of.....It is not Alabama or Ohio State or in the NFL a place great to coach at......Cincinnati has a hard time getting good coaches. First, is is Cincinnati....but there is also Mike Brown.....This is NOT where most coaches want to coach. ...Firing Lewis is assuming someone of quality wants to coach in Cincinnati.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Cowher or Gruden? What? Is Tom Flores busy?

How bout some new blood people.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Yep.....we're toast. This is sounding like a Brown forum discussion.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2016, 10:33 AM)kevin Wrote: I'm saying Josh McDaniel is probably no Belichick.......What would it take to get a Super Bowl Head Coach or at least a Head Coach who has won lately in the play-offs in here. ...and start rebuilding by firing Zampese. 

You're not getting Gruden or Cowher here. Mike Brown would have to pay them an excessive amount of money and give them complete control of the franchise. Neither of those are happening.

This is a franchise that doesn't use free agency heavily. Also, the coaches are scouts here due to a small scouting staff. The owner and his family heavily weigh in on personnel decisions. Cowher and Gruden have had much more attractive jobs offerred to them that they turned down.

Quite frankly, with AJ Green and Bernard hurt...this roster needs rebuilt. There are many holes.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2016, 10:43 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: You're not getting Gruden or Cowher here. Mike Brown would have to pay them an excessive amount of money and give them complete control of the franchise. Neither of those are happening.

This is a franchise that doesn't use free agency heavily. Also, the coaches are scouts here due to a small scouting staff. The owner and his family heavily weigh in on personnel decisions. Cowher and Gruden have had much more attractive jobs offerred to them that they turned down.

Quite frankly, with AJ Green and Bernard hurt...this roster needs rebuilt. There are many holes.
I agree completely with all of this.......so.....and many of you will hate this......Keep Marvin Lewis and his 6 play-off seasons in 8 years. .....We should have promoted Zimmer and we didn't....Keep Lewis and see if he can bring in coaches and turn it around in 2017. ....The Bengals were one of the deepest benches in NFL but that is no longer the case....They should have made Lewis GM and Zimmer Head Coach, but they blew that one.....Who knows, maybe Cleveland fires Hue and we get Hue Jackson back. ......Maybe after 5 straight play-off seasons we were due for a bad year. ....Maybe under Marvin some coach really does good like Zimmer, and we promote him to Head Coach....

Age of Whitworth and Peko a factor in rebuilding.  Dansby just another LB band aid. .....A Top Pick Left Tackle, A Top pick Linebacker. .....but I agree we lost depth across the board....We can not keep both Dalton and McCarron, and exploring a great trade for one of them has to be considered. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2016, 10:29 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Plus Chuckies successes can be attributed to the team he fell
into. He didn't build that SB team.

He did help build the Raiders who went to the Super Bowl though.  Regardless, you're not going to get a Cowher or Gruden to come here and deal with the Brown family on a daily basis.  Both have been out of coaching for so long, I'm not even sure you would want them at this point.  You're not going to get a top college coach, like a Meyer, either.  Meyer makes $6.5 million per year, plus all the perks of coaching a powerhouse college program, and is in complete control.  No way a Meyer or Saban type individual is going to come here and deal with all the crap every day.

You're going to have to hope for someone that is hungry for a head coaching job, someone who is willing to overlook the "drawbacks" of working for the Browns.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2016, 10:41 AM)kevin Wrote: I must now point out on firing Lewis.....finding a top replacement will be hard......because......Cincinnati is NOT one of the top jobs in football coaches dream of.....It is not Alabama or Ohio State or in the NFL a place great to coach at......Cincinnati has a hard time getting good coaches.  First, is is Cincinnati....but there is also Mike Brown.....This is NOT where most coaches want to coach. ...Firing Lewis is assuming someone of quality wants to coach in Cincinnati.

we don't know that...we haven't searched for a head coach in forever.  We have a well respected Dir of Player Personnel, Katie has a good reputation.  We still have a team that went to the playoffs 6 of the last 8 years from a tough division.  We have a quality QB and wide receiver both in the early part of contracts.  There is some rebuilding for sure but it won't be like someone is starting from scratch.  If and unfortunately this is a big if Marvin is gone after the season I think we will be able to find a quality coach.  We will have to wait and see who is available at the time

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote