Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coach Jim McNally for OL Coach (Being Floated)
http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Alexanders-departure-signals-change-in-run-game/8bf651dc-520e-43e8-bf96-56a2d8d32bdb?campaign=cin:fanshare:twitter&campaign=cin:fanshare:twitter

Per Hobson on the Bengals Website

The Bengals have had only two line coaches since 1980. After one year as the Bengals tight ends coach in 1994, Alexander succeeded one of his O-line mentors in Jim McNally, the guru who coached Hall of Fame left tackle Anthony Munoz and the Super Bowl line of the late ‘80s that finished in the top five in NFL rushing five straight seasons that included No. 1 finishes in 1988-89.

McNally, 74, is a consultant for the Bengals and has been mentioned as a possible candidate. Lazor said he’s looking for a guy that has coached in the league.
[Image: 2qGWGd.png]
Reply/Quote
Eh, I think we need younger blood. The game's come a long way since the 80's. We need a new-age philosophy.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
Of course this would be a huge upgrade even if McNally is kind of an inside guy.

I don't find it to be a coincidence that in 2015 we used him as a consultant and the O-line blocked much better.

Might be other guys out there i might want more that are younger but i wanted McNally to take over years back.

Not against this at all, he knows his stuff unlike PA.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2018, 06:14 PM)Big Boss Wrote: Eh, I think we need younger blood.  The game's come a long way since the 80's.  We need a new-age philosophy.

Great point, would rather have a younger O-line coach. McNally is 74.

Big Willie i heard from Ocho wants to coach..
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2018, 07:04 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Great point, would rather have a younger O-line coach. McNally is 74.

Big Willie i heard from Ocho wants to coach..

A guy like Willie could do the job, and have Coach McNally as his mentoring resource.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2018, 07:09 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: A guy like Willie could do the job, and have Coach McNally as his mentoring resource.

I like Smirk
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2018, 06:14 PM)Big Boss Wrote: Eh, I think we need younger blood.  The game's come a long way since the 80's.  We need a new-age philosophy.

Really?? tell that to people like Dick Lebeau 
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2018, 07:16 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Really?? tell that to people like Dick Lebeau 

That dude is rare, he will live forever.
Reply/Quote
Well, bring back Wyche then.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2018, 07:20 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: That dude is rare, he will live forever.

my point is there have been and are a lot of solid older coaches especially those that have the track record of Jim McNally... if we are going to assume the game passes older players and  coaches by, then I better stop listening to Lapham discuss offensive line etc...
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2018, 06:12 PM)Lqhybrid25 Wrote: http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Alexanders-departure-signals-change-in-run-game/8bf651dc-520e-43e8-bf96-56a2d8d32bdb?campaign=cin:fanshare:twitter&campaign=cin:fanshare:twitter

Per Hobson on the Bengals Website

The Bengals have had only two line coaches since 1980. After one year as the Bengals tight ends coach in 1994, Alexander succeeded one of his O-line mentors in Jim McNally, the guru who coached Hall of Fame left tackle Anthony Munoz and the Super Bowl line of the late ‘80s that finished in the top five in NFL rushing five straight seasons that included No. 1 finishes in 1988-89.

McNally, 74, is a consultant for the Bengals and has been mentioned as a possible candidate. Lazor said he’s looking for a guy that has coached in the league.

74 is too old...He is the past, not the future....Plus, he told Mike Brown he didn't need top O Line picks, he would take the last round picks.  It was nonsense considering the 1980's Bengals O Line had many top draft picks...I never liked McNally in the 90's and his just give me the late round approach....You kids may think age is just a number.  I'm telling you that 74 is way too old.  ...OK, McNally looked good when he had 3 Pro Bowlers on the line in the 80's. You know who gets credit for that. Paul Brown and Forrest Gregg, 2 Hall Of Famers who knew a lot about offensive line. .....I am glad to hear the words LASOR IS LOOKING. Maybe this means Lasor was given the power to dump Alexander and others and turn this awful offense around and get it out of the stone age. We need to forget these coaches we had 100 years ago like Alexander and McNally and seek out and explore new civilizations. To go boldly in the 21st century were no Bengal has ever gone before.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Jim McNally might be someone to retain in staff as an adviser but the real offensive line coach should be someone like Willie Anderson.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2018, 07:49 PM)Benton Wrote: Well, bring back Wyche then.

By all means.

(01-03-2018, 08:13 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: my point is there have been and are a lot of solid older coaches especially those that have the track record of Jim McNally... if we are going to assume the game passes older players and  coaches by, then I better stop listening to Lapham discuss offensive line etc...

Yeah, i think a lot of people are getting caught up in the McVay success.

Nothing wrong with a good old coach if he can adjust to the game today.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2018, 09:33 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Jim McNally might be someone to retain in staff as an adviser but the real offensive line coach should be someone like Willie Anderson.

I liked him as a player.  I like the idea of Lasor looking for someone who has coached in NFL.   Forrest Gregg was NFL Hall OF Fame Super Bowl lineman and had been NFL Coach of the year.  How come these other NFL teams get ex head coaches to take jobs as assistant coaches.  I see top name coaches all over the NFL who are back to being assistant coaches, and these teams win.  My first thought is Ryan or Parcells who are great on O Lines but I doubt we can get them, but I set the bar at them and go lower.  ...So who is a Super Bowl Hall of Fame O Lineman that has coached ?....I don't have a clue and neither does Mike Brown, so I'm glad to hear maybe Lasor has some say in this, but I'll believe it when I see it.   It would be smart for the front office to back off and let the top coaches bring in their people, something Bengals have never done. 

McNally, Anderson...Hey, Forrest Gregg was brought in and had never been a Bengal, and THAT was a GOOD THING....There is something to be said for bringing in Super Bowl winning Non Bengals.  People that aren't Bengalized or Bungalized.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
McNally is the gold standard. He would be great then hire a young up and comer to be his assistant to take over in a few years.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2018, 09:33 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Jim McNally might be someone to retain in staff as an adviser but the real offensive line coach should be someone like Willie Anderson.

Willie would need seasoning. Plus the time involved maybe something he doesn’t wanna do. It’s a hard life as an OL coach.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2018, 07:09 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: A guy like Willie could do the job, and have Coach McNally as his mentoring resource.

Agree,

McNally adviser or whatever title and get somebody who's more in tune to todays NFL.
Reply/Quote
McNally is too old and gets a lot of credit for what Paul Brown and Forrest Gregg did....Plus that's all too long ago....The man is 74. They need to go younger on an O Line coach. When it doubt, go with youth...My word, at least get a guy in his 50's. You kids think 75 is just an age, you wait until you get old, you'll find out why there are things like Medicare and so many old people at doctors office. Most people 75 are dead. I think we can go younger. I'm 63 and I can say too old without being age discrimination because I am old. The goal is to find a young Vince Lombardi with Giants before he coached Packers, or a young Forrest Gregg here in Cincy, or when we brought in a young Parcells coached Zimmer on defense...There has to be good youth in coaching. Coach Lewis says they need to bring in people from other teams. I couldn't agree more. ...One man who could be a good coach is Whitworth who played guard, tackle and was a team captain team leader. He would make a great coach but he is under contract at LA Rams. ...Go younger and probably outside Bengals from another team.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2018, 09:58 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Willie would need seasoning. Plus the time involved maybe something he doesn’t wanna do. It’s a hard life as an OL coach.

Willie has said he wants to coach. I would love to see he and TJ Houshmandzadeh on staff!
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2018, 10:08 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Willie has said he wants to coach. I would love to see he and TJ Houshmandzadeh on staff!

Willie could assist McNally. Would be nice.
Reply/Quote