Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coach Pollack Speaks
I like the tone of his quiet optimism, when he says that the OL will make some people proud this year.

https://www.bengals.com/news/ol-coach-pollack-s-blank-slate-irrelevant-what-you-did-last-year?fbclid=IwAR3msGexpTx6-0qh3KmKG15Eo7YUStCAzJlQUNiHw5UXRExrK5hpSrbbjr8

Quote:"In my opinion," Pollack says, "we'll make some people proud."
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2021, 09:36 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I like the tone of his quiet optimism, when he says that the OL will make some people proud this year.

https://www.bengals.com/news/ol-coach-pollack-s-blank-slate-irrelevant-what-you-did-last-year?fbclid=IwAR3msGexpTx6-0qh3KmKG15Eo7YUStCAzJlQUNiHw5UXRExrK5hpSrbbjr8

Listen I like Pollack but what else is he supposed to say "this line needs serious help" lol I mean I fo like it that he called out Turner for his incompetence, which inturn kind of rubs off on Zac for hiring Turner. 

I'm not sure I have as much faith in Billy Price as him but if he can turn this line this year into an average OL I'll start believing the man walks on water lol
Reply/Quote
Pollack has a proven track record as a ex player and OL coach.
As a matter of fact no other position.coach on.the team
Has a resume with such achievements
So.its not like the Bengals hired some oline coach from
Virginia State or Kansas A and M. Or has been a.journeymen
Coach that has a new team.every 3 years
He actually has a track record of getting results.
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2021, 09:51 AM)impactplaya Wrote: Pollack has a proven track record as a ex player and OL coach.
As a matter of fact no other position.coach on.the team
Has a resume with such achievements
So.its not like the Bengals hired some oline coach from
Virginia State or Kansas A and M. Or has been a.journeymen
Coach that has a new team.every 3 years
He actually has a track record of getting results.
dude I completely agree with you.  Pollack is the best hire the front office made in 3 years. 

He can make a huge difference IF Taylor's let's him. This is Zacs offense and if he only wants to run it 15-20 times per game and throw it 50 times thats what Zacs gonna do. Me, I'd rather see us run the ball 35-40 times per game at close to the 4.9 ypc we averged when Pollack left.
Reply/Quote
This quote in particular points to a huge part of the problem under Turner:

“We’ve got a lot of good players still developing. I can’t wait to get them out on the grass and teaching guys different techniques that may be they haven’t been exposed to the last two years.”

Turner was not a 'teacher'. He was a stubborn, bull-headed coach who wanted players to strictly adapt to his way of doing things, instead of trying to find ways to maximize / incorporate what the players did well into his schemes.
Reply/Quote
Seriously think Pollack can turn this OL around. I think he believes that too. JB is going to know the difference as well, which will give him more confidence behind that line. Pollack is going to make this OL winners.

Reply/Quote
Best things Pollack said was "it doesn't matter what you did last year, everybody starts with a clean slate" and "If you're not putting in the work everyday you will find yourself on the outside looking in"
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2021, 10:26 AM)Bengalholic Wrote: This quote in particular points to a huge part of the problem under Turner:

“We’ve got a lot of good players still developing. I can’t wait to get them out on the grass and teaching guys different techniques that may be they haven’t been exposed to the last two years.”

Turner was not a 'teacher'. He was a stubborn, bull-headed coach who wanted players to strictly adapt to his way of doing things, instead of trying to find ways to maximize / incorporate what the players did well into his schemes.
I personally feel that way about the entire staff though
Reply/Quote
Frank Pollack is Superman
Reply/Quote
[Image: 200.gif]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2021, 10:15 AM)TJ528 Wrote: dude I completely agree with you.  Pollack is the best hire the front office made in 3 years. 

He can make a huge difference IF Taylor's let's him. This is Zacs offense and if he only wants to run it 15-20 times per game and throw it 50 times thats what Zacs gonna do. Me, I'd rather see us run the ball 35-40 times per game at close to the 4.9 ypc we averged when Pollack left.
Im hoping Pollack can do for this oline what Bill Callahan did
For the Browns in 2020. He took a middle tier oline and 
Transformed into  the best oline in the NFL.
If the Bengals oline can be even average to good this year
Its a playoff team. 
Jim Turner ******** every olinemens growth laat year.
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2021, 10:33 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Best things Pollack said was "it doesn't matter what you did last year, everybody starts with a clean slate" and "If you're not putting in the work everyday you will find yourself on the outside looking in"

I read that as “Michael Jordan still has a chance at starting!”
Reply/Quote
Seriously if Pollack can get this line to average status and Williams can stay healthy they will be okay.

If this guy is a miracle worker he'll get some last minute value out of Price.  

Let's just hope that Hopkins is back. PrayPray
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2021, 09:42 AM)TJ528 Wrote: Listen I like Pollack but what else is he supposed to say "this line needs serious help" lol I mean I fo like it that he called out Turner for his incompetence, which inturn kind of rubs off on Zac for hiring Turner. 

I'm not sure I have as much faith in Billy Price as him but if he can turn this line this year into an average OL I'll start believing the man walks on water lol

I know, whats he going to have beds of sweat forming on his temples as he rolls his eyes and says, "What kinda shit show did I walk into?"
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2021, 10:33 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Best things Pollack said was "it doesn't matter what you did last year, everybody starts with a clean slate" and "If you're not putting in the work everyday you will find yourself on the outside looking in"

AKA  Turner likely played favorites regardless of skill or dedication.
Reply/Quote
I remember Pollack being divisive on here when we hired him. I loved his resume, but there was a lot of "what makes Pollack so special?" going on back then. Then in his first year we had our best yards per carry since 2000...which is incredible. Just went to show how much Paul Alexander was holding our run game back.

Problem is, we didn't run the ball that much. If Pollack can get similar results this year, and Zac is more willing to balance the offense, we might be able to do some things. This team has always won more games when we run the football. If we keep throwing 40+ times, we're going to wind up 5-12.

Of course, with Burrow, all these WRs, and Zac's track record, it's hard to envision a very balanced offense.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2021, 11:30 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Seriously if Pollack can get this line to average status and Williams can stay healthy they will be okay.

If this guy is a miracle worker he'll get some last minute value out of Price.  

Let's just hope that Hopkins is back. PrayPray

Not trying to single you out, but when did this notion that "average" is ok begin?

People wanted nothing short of excellence with our WRs, but with the line, people are just saying "meh, as long we don't line up 5 turnstiles, we're fine".

I almost feel like 5 years of terrible line play is making people lower their expectations...?

When did the o-line become the position where we're ok with mediocrity?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2021, 02:56 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I remember Pollack being divisive on here when we hired him. I loved his resume, but there was a lot of "what makes Pollack so special?" going on back then. Then in his first year we had our best yards per carry since 2000...which is incredible. Just went to show how much Paul Alexander was holding our run game back.

Are we ignoring that he went to the Jets for 2 years and failed there in the meantime? He made their running game much worse in 2019 and then had a running game of almost exactly the same level as the Bengals in 2020.

They also allowed much more sack with Pollack there in NY.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2021, 03:03 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Not trying to single you out, but when did this notion that "average" is ok begin?

People wanted nothing short of excellence with our WRs, but with the line, people are just saying "meh, as long we don't like up 5 turnstiles, we're fine".

I almost feel like 5 years of terrible line play is making people lower their expectations...?

When did the o-line become the position where we're ok with mediocrity?

Because if the line were to jump from the bottom to the middle of pack that quickly then yeah.... that's something!
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2021, 03:07 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Are we ignoring that he went to the Jets for 2 years and failed there in the meantime? He made their running game much worse in 2019 and then had a running game of almost exactly the same level as the Bengals in 2020.

They also allowed much more sack with Pollack there in NY.

Hard to really judge him off those Jets teams. Other than Bell in 2019, and 37 year old Gore in 2020, they were trotting out replacement level players at the skill positions. Teams could literally just tee off on them since nobody respected that offense.

Reply/Quote