Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coach Pollack Speaks
(05-08-2021, 03:07 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Are we ignoring that he went to the Jets for 2 years and failed there in the meantime? He made their running game much worse in 2019 and then had a running game of almost exactly the same level as the Bengals in 2020.

They also allowed much more sack with Pollack there in NY.

Are we just going to ignore that Mike Zimmer was absolutely atrocious in Atlanta?

(05-08-2021, 03:08 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Because if the line were to jump from the bottom to the middle of pack that quickly then yeah.... that's something!

I agree. Just trying to gauge how much success people think we can have with an average line. Hopefully people are just saying that at least average is progress, and we can work on it more later...rather than "pfff...who needs o-line? Just look at these receivers!" LOL
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2021, 03:07 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Are we ignoring that he went to the Jets for 2 years and failed there in the meantime? He made their running game much worse in 2019 and then had a running game of almost exactly the same level as the Bengals in 2020.

Pollack didnt forget how to.coach or teach when.he got
To.NY. Let's not forget who the HC was or the trainwreck
The front office is. 
Adam Gase makes ZT look like Dick Vermil.
And Sam Darnold is going to take alot of sacks cause
He has zero ability to climb the pocket and buy time.
Plus Jets WR.are a joke regarding seperation.
The Jets and Bengals had similar issues the laat few years
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2021, 09:36 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I like the tone of his quiet optimism, when he says that the OL will make some people proud this year.

https://www.bengals.com/news/ol-coach-pollack-s-blank-slate-irrelevant-what-you-did-last-year?fbclid=IwAR3msGexpTx6-0qh3KmKG15Eo7YUStCAzJlQUNiHw5UXRExrK5hpSrbbjr8

Just refreshing as can be. Thanks Sunset. Pollack being here is huge, really like this guy. Heck, I could even see him bringing 
Price out of the cellar. Price has been a bust so far but he played his best as a rookie under Pollack and I don't think there is a 
guy I would trust more to man the O-line coaching job than Pollack. I have hated on our O-line coaches forever.

Not Pollack, dude knows his shit.

He said exactly what I wanted to hear about Carman, D'Ante and Trey Hill.
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2021, 03:22 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Pollack didnt forget how to.coach or teach when.he got
To.NY. Let's not forget who the HC was or the trainwreck
The front office is. 
Adam Gase makes ZT look like Dick Vermil.
And Sam Darnold is going to take alot of sacks cause
He has zero ability to climb the pocket and buy time.
Plus Jets WR.are a joke regarding seperation.
The Jets and Bengals had similar issues the laat few years

Taylor isn't any better of a HC than gase thus far. Jets last 2 years 9-23, Taylor 6-25-1. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2021, 03:46 PM)MasonDT70 Wrote: Taylor isn't any better of a HC than gase thus far. Jets last 2 years 9-23, Taylor 6-25-1. 

True, but Taylor doesn't have ass eyes.Twitch
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2021, 03:48 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: True, but Taylor doesn't have ass eyes.Twitch

still Gase has a better record than Zac. 
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2021, 10:26 AM)Bengalholic Wrote: This quote in particular points to a huge part of the problem under Turner:

“We’ve got a lot of good players still developing. I can’t wait to get them out on the grass and teaching guys different techniques that may be they haven’t been exposed to the last two years.”

Turner was not a 'teacher'. He was a stubborn, bull-headed coach who wanted players to strictly adapt to his way of doing things, instead of trying to find ways to maximize / incorporate what the players did well into his schemes.

I remember Willie Anderson calling out issues with the O-line.  Something about how the tackles lined up on the Def shoulder instead of straight up.  Don't remember the exact details but it is pretty rare for  player to call out something that specific.  It must have been a major mistake.
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2021, 03:21 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Are we just going to ignore that Mike Zimmer was absolutely atrocious in Atlanta?

Fair, but I don't recall anyone thinking Zimmer was going to walk on water, shit rainbows, and turn a bunch of scrubs into good players when he came here in 2008. 

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote

Fair points.

I guess the only counter I've got is: did they listen to him?

There have been some really good coaches on really bad teams. I remember there were some people that hated when we brought Zimmer in based off a bad season or two. Part of that was atl didn't listen to Zimmer.
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2021, 10:26 AM)Bengalholic Wrote: This quote in particular points to a huge part of the problem under Turner:

“We’ve got a lot of good players still developing. I can’t wait to get them out on the grass and teaching guys different techniques that may be they haven’t been exposed to the last two years.”

Turner was not a 'teacher'. He was a stubborn, bull-headed coach who wanted players to strictly adapt to his way of doing things, instead of trying to find ways to maximize / incorporate what the players did well into his schemes.

Good catch on that quote.  I interpret that as Pollack saying that the players we have aren't terrible players, they just haven't been properly coached at the NFL level.  Sure, Pollack would think and say that, because these are now his guys.  However, I have asserted for years that all NFL players come from the same talent pool, and aside from a few genetically superior exceptions, most players that make the league have the physical skill and ability to make it.  It is very much dependent on coaching and game planning to the strength of the players you have on your squad.

(05-08-2021, 10:28 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Seriously think Pollack can turn this OL around. I think he believes that too. JB is going to know the difference as well, which will give him more confidence behind that line. Pollack is going to make this OL winners.

See above.

(05-08-2021, 10:33 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Best things Pollack said was "it doesn't matter what you did last year, everybody starts with a clean slate" and "If you're not putting in the work everyday you will find yourself on the outside looking in"

I agree with the philosophy of judging players, and people in general for that matter, on what they do and how they perform after one comes into direct contact with them.

(05-08-2021, 02:56 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Then in his first year we had our best yards per carry since 2000...which is incredible. Just went to show how much Paul Alexander was holding our run game back.

Problem is, we didn't run the ball that much. If Pollack can get similar results this year, and Zac is more willing to balance the offense, we might be able to do some things. This team has always won more games when we run the football. If we keep throwing 40+ times, we're going to wind up 5-12.

I would say that part of Pollack's duty as Run Game Coordinator is to show the rest of the Offensive Coaching room that the rushing attack is viable, and illustrate his plan on how to attack each defense from week to week.  Obviously, during games the QB has a lot of freedom to audible to whatever he perceives as a play that will work in any given situation, and I'm sure that sometimes that is why the passing attempts tend to get lopsided in some games.

(05-08-2021, 03:25 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Just refreshing as can be. Thanks Sunset. Pollack being here is huge, really like this guy. Heck, I could even see him bringing 
Price out of the cellar.
Price has been a bust so far but he played his best as a rookie under Pollack and I don't think there is a 
guy I would trust more to man the O-line coaching job than Pollack. I have hated on our O-line coaches forever.

Not Pollack, dude knows his shit.

He said exactly what I wanted to hear about Carman, D'Ante and Trey Hill.

Thanks for the kind words, Nate!  Cool  Yeah, if Pollack were able to suddenly get Billy Price to become noteworthy at Center, that could certainly change the complexion of the OL going forward.  Just imaging huge Trey Hill becoming a viable candidate as our future LG and 1st backup at Center?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2021, 06:26 PM)Benton Wrote: Fair points.

I guess the only counter I've got is: did they listen to him?

There have been some really good coaches on really bad teams. I remember there were some people that hated when we brought Zimmer in based off a bad season or two. Part of that was atl didn't listen to Zimmer.

Which is also fair, though I do have to remind that Zimmer's 1 year in Atlanta where they didn't do well deserves an asterisk probably more than just about any season ever. That was the year it came out that Mike Vick was a serial dog murderer and then their first year Head Coach just quit midseason. Not fired, but just quit. Lol... You know that must have been a clown show from the word go.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2021, 06:34 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Which is also fair, though I do have to remind that Zimmer's 1 year in Atlanta where they didn't do well deserves an asterisk probably more than just about any season ever. That was the year it came out that Mike Vick was a serial dog murderer and then their first year Head Coach just quit midseason. Not fired, but just quit. Lol... You know that must have been a clown show from the word go.

I kind of get the feeling that's what pollack is coming from 
Reply/Quote

He didn't really have much of a chance.  The Jets had OL issues with injuries to their starters, in fact they have invested a pair of high picks in the past two drafts in Bechton last year and Vera-Tucker this draft.  Sure, it's easy to point to Le'veon Bell and think he had an optimal situation before him, but when you look at what happened to the Jets OL starters in 2019, it's easy to see why things didn't go so well.  That's not lack of coaching ability on Pollack, that's just dumb luck.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2021, 11:29 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I read that as “Michael Jordan still has a chance at starting!”

And you know what, if by the slimmest of chances Jordan worked his butt off and became better than Jack the Jiant, Spain, XFS, and everyone else in the Oline room, then he would deserve to start. I just don't see it happening. I'd say chances are about the same as getting hit with that Chinese space junk that's falling out of the sky.
Reply/Quote
Lets be honest Pollack has some proving to do.. he can't continue to ride the 3 year run he had at Dallas, he was let go after a downturn in 2017, came here for a year did ok.. went to the Jets and even after they invested 4 FA and a 1st rounder Jets Oline did not perform well.

I don;t think he is a bad coach but the performance the last few years does carry some concern of can he be one of the better Oline coaches in the league and move players up the ladder.. I do hope so
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2021, 09:37 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Lets be honest Pollack has some proving to do.. he can't continue to ride the 3 year run he had at Dallas, he was let go after a downturn in 2017, came here for a year did ok.. went to the Jets and even after they invested 4 FA and a 1st rounder Jets Oline did not perform well.

I don;t think he is a bad coach but the performance the last few years does carry some concern of can he be one of the better Oline coaches in the league and move players up the ladder.. I do hope so
 A position.coach can teach the best techniques and be the best
Teacher. But ultimately the player has to.do it
On his own. 
The Jets oline failure under Pollack is not on.him.
Have.you.thought maybe the FAs the Jets signed
And the 1st RD pick.just could never get it 
Right chemistry wise and perhaps they 
Lack the tenacity and fire to move bodies.
Let's face it, the Jets culture of late doesnt exactly
Spell winning culture. 
The Jets havent drafted well or made smart free agent 
Moves in.years
Reply/Quote
Honestly, I enjoy the knock towards Turner. He might go down as one of the worst coaching hires in team history. It says a lot when a position coach can be considered so terrible for your team. 
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2021, 09:36 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I like the tone of his quiet optimism, when he says that the OL will make some people proud this year.

https://www.bengals.com/news/ol-coach-pollack-s-blank-slate-irrelevant-what-you-did-last-year?fbclid=IwAR3msGexpTx6-0qh3KmKG15Eo7YUStCAzJlQUNiHw5UXRExrK5hpSrbbjr8

Thanks for sharing. Butch did a really nice job in that piece. Pollack is The Dude. Seriously, listen to one of his interviews, man. He sounds at least a little like Jeff Bridges in The Big Lebowski.  His demeanor's not much different either. LOL 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2021, 03:23 AM)BURROWorBUST Wrote: Thanks for sharing. Butch did a really nice job in that piece. Pollack is The Dude. Seriously, listen to one of his interviews, man. He sounds at least a little like Jeff Bridges in The Big Lebowski.  His demeanor's not much different either. LOL 

Jeff Bridges? Was hoping for Samual L. Jackson. LOL

Reply/Quote
(05-09-2021, 10:31 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Jeff Bridges? Was hoping for Samual L. Jackson. LOL

I can hear Samuel L Jackson as ol coach:
You block that mofo
And you block this mofo
And you mofo's block these mofos

Easy Peazy mofo'n lemon squeezy
Reply/Quote