Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coach Pollack Speaks
(05-10-2021, 10:24 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: The sad part is Turner was brought into the organization  knowing exactly who he was, his past and all the verified chaos he is.

Who is responsible for that, Zac? Tobin? Mike?  Whoever scooped him up should have been fired along with Turner.

It was a questionable hire but to be fair by the time ZT could actually get in the building most coaches were off the market. I tried to get behind Turner and hoped he would do well, for the sake of the team. Sadly he failed worse than I could imagine. The only thing he did here was change to the pin and pull blocking scheme in 2019 after the season was too late to salvage but at least it helped get Mixon going. Other than that hail mary, Turner was a massive fail for this team. 

Pollack should improve the line and it might be in a pretty big way. Its not like we are void of talent, its just that our OL looked totally lost most of the time under Turner. He didnt seem to even know who his best players were. Injuries forced him to play guys against the Titans who outplayed his chosen starters in a big way. I believe we will see a much better OL this coming season. 
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2021, 03:34 PM)bengaloo Wrote: It was a questionable hire but to be fair by the time ZT could actually get in the building most coaches were off the market. I tried to get behind Turner and hoped he would do well, for the sake of the team. Sadly he failed worse than I could imagine. The only thing he did here was change to the pin and pull blocking scheme in 2019 after the season was too late to salvage but at least it helped get Mixon going. Other than that hail mary, Turner was a massive fail for this team. 

Pollack should improve the line and it might be in a pretty big way. Its not like we are void of talent, its just that our OL looked totally lost most of the time under Turner. He didnt seem to even know who his best players were. Injuries forced him to play guys against the Titans who outplayed his chosen starters in a big way. I believe we will see a much better OL this coming season. 

Great post Bengaloo and what you say here is bigger than most have been letting on. The biggest problem with our OL the last few
years is how lost they were, along with poor technique, this is coaching. We added Pollack and some good players. I agree and also
believe we will be much better on the OL this season.
Reply/Quote
Both the Titans game and how the interior performed one XSF and Spain were at Guard exposed Turner in a big way. When players who Turner did not coach up got in there performance went up.

Pollack inherited a mess and actually got it playing with some cohesion and by seasons end it looked like it was on the right trajectory. Then in came Turner and the line played like five deaf mute individuals instead of a unit - look at the ridiculous number of sacks coming not from being overpowered or beat off the edge but not adjusting to stunts, blitzes and other such twists.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2021, 03:52 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: The biggest problem with our OL the last few years is how lost they were, along with poor technique, this is coaching. 

I'd say the bigger problems were lack of talent and injuries
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2021, 06:44 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: I'd say the bigger problems were lack of talent and injuries

Yes.
Jonah is talented, but has only played 10 games out of 32.
Bobby Hart is not a good pass blocker.
Alex Redmond is not a good pass blocker.
Michael Jordan is not a good pass blocker.
Billy Price is not a good pass blocker.
Hakeem Adeniji and Fred Johnson have not been good backups when called upon.
Spain went from being a really good pass blocking OL in TEN to being completely out of place in CIN.

Coaching is a part of this though.

From the sound of it, Turner didn't really "teach," just tell.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-08-2021, 10:26 AM)Bengalholic Wrote: This quote in particular points to a huge part of the problem under Turner:

“We’ve got a lot of good players still developing. I can’t wait to get them out on the grass and teaching guys different techniques that may be they haven’t been exposed to the last two years.”

Turner was not a 'teacher'. He was a stubborn, bull-headed coach who wanted players to strictly adapt to his way of doing things, instead of trying to find ways to maximize / incorporate what the players did well into his schemes.

I believe this is the downfall of many coaches.
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2021, 06:44 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: I'd say the bigger problems were lack of talent and injuries

Combined it was amazing we weren't BY FAR THE WORST OL IN THE NFL EVER!!!

We are much better talent wise and hope the injuries and coaching don't sabotage us.
Reply/Quote
Coaching was a big part of it. Way too often it was guys not picking up stunts or knowing who to block. Especially with Hart, who was not a first or second year player.

Reply/Quote
(05-12-2021, 09:55 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Coaching was a big part of it. Way too often it was guys not picking up stunts or knowing who to block. Especially with Hart, who was not a first or second year player.

No doubt. See this way more than anything when going back and watching the film.

It isn't that our guys are just getting beat it is that they are unprepared for what is coming. This is coaching.

Every player that enters the NFL has talent, need to have coaches that know how to work with it. 

Turner definitely couldn't, no excuses for him.
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2021, 09:55 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Coaching was a big part of it. Way too often it was guys not picking up stunts or knowing who to block. Especially with Hart, who was not a first or second year player.

Yup
Reply/Quote

Agreed, and that explains why Hart was cut, and likely why Jordan still remains.  Hart, despite being young in chronological years, still continues to whiff calls and assignments, no matter who his OL coach is, while Jordan only had Turner as his mentor, after what many would say looked like a promising performance in college.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2021, 10:02 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: No doubt. See this way more than anything when going back and watching the film.

It isn't that our guys are just getting beat it is that they are unprepared for what is coming. This is coaching.

Every player that enters the NFL has talent, need to have coaches that know how to work with it. 

Turner definitely couldn't no excuses for him.
In the Karate Kid ....Pat Morita says a very important line
That still resonates.
" no such thing as bad student....only bad teacher..."

Jim Turner was a joke of a hire. I think at some point
The players just tuned him out. 
I think the move to replace Turner came from above Zac.
I mean how can Zac recognize coaching talent if wanted 
And believed in Turner and now he brings Pollack 
On board. I.dont think ZT got  that smart in a 2 day span 
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2021, 11:14 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Agreed, and that explains why Hart was cut, and likely why Jordan still remains.  Hart, despite being young in chronological years, still continues to whiff calls and assignments, no matter who his OL coach is, while Jordan only had Turner as his mentor, after what many would say looked like a promising performance in college.

If Pollack and Willie can get Jordan to stay low he might have a chance...

He has great size, long arms and is strong, but it doesn't matter how strong you are if you play high.

The leverage gives the Defender the advantage.

If Pollack can get Price or Jordan to be decent he is a miracle worker.

(05-12-2021, 11:19 PM)impactplaya Wrote: In the Karate Kid ....Pat Morita says a very important line
That still resonates.
" no such thing as bad student....only bad teacher..."

Jim Turner was a joke of a hire. I think at some point
The players just tuned him out. 
I think the move to replace Turner came from above Zac.
I mean how can Zac recognize coaching talent if wanted 
And believed in Turner and now he brings Pollack 
On board. I.dont think ZT got  that smart in a 2 day span 

Nice, love the Karate Kid reference... Smirk
Reply/Quote