Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coach of the Year
Here are the results:

Coach of the Year
1. Nick Sirianni: 30 points (3 firsts, 1 second, 3 thirds, 1 fourth)
2. Brian Daboll: 28 points (1 first, 4 seconds, 2 thirds)
3. Kyle Shanahan: 24 points (3 firsts, 2 seconds, 1 fifth)
4. Doug Pederson: 12 points (1 first, 3 fourths, 1 fifth)
T-5. Dan Campbell: 7 points (1 second, 1 fourth, 1 fifth)
T-5. Pete Carroll: 7 points (1 third, 1 fourth, 2 fifths)
T-5. Mike Tomlin: 7 points (1 third, 1 fourth, 2 fifths)
8. Kevin O’Connell: 3 points (1 third)
9. Sean McDermott: 2 points (1 fourth)

Don't get me wrong. I think Sirianni, Daboll, and Shanahan did excellent jobs this year. But to not even be on the list despite having his starting QB have an appendix rupture (not simply be inflammed and removed, but rupture) during the most crucial time of the preseason, having 4 new pieces on the offensive line, losing his #1 and #2 WR for extended periods of time, playing the toughest schedule, and going 10-2 after an 0-2 start is a massive insult.

Zac Taylor should have won this award last year, and running it back as they are (where are the damn Rams? Titans? steelers? Raiders? Oh, none of them made the playoffs this year) should have earned him some consideration.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
This award always goes to coaches who over-achieved. Zac Taylor didn’t really do that. This team is just as good as we thought they were. You could say that maybe he’s deserving because he brought the team back from the 0-2 start, but it’s not as impressive as what some of the others did.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Absolutely agree. More bulletin board material.
Reply/Quote
Zac Taylor did a fine job.

He doesn't belong on this list.
Reply/Quote
If Zac Taylor didnt win Coach of the year in 2021 then he has no chance this season. Mike Vrabel did an excellent job last year with injuries but the Titans have been a winning team for several seasons in a row. That award should have been Zac Taylor's no one faced more adversity over that offseason.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
If last year's vote had been taken the week of the Super Bowl, Zac still wouldn't have won. To rework Sam Wyche's famous quote, "You don't live in New York...or LA...or Boston..etc...you live in Cincinnati." No one gives a crap about us, except us.

In case no one has noticed, there is only one Bengal player in the HOF after 50+ years. The only way we get respect is to make them give it to us.

The interesting thing to me is, I don't think the players and coaches care about individual honors as much as team success. That's not true everywhere.

Bottom line, there is only one award that interests me. It will be won on the field and it won't be up to a vote.
Reply/Quote
Ehem..Marvin won coach of the year once.. MARVIN!  Ninja
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Don't forget that on many pre-season prediction lists the Bengals were predicted to come in 3rd in the division and missing the playoffs due to the infamous "Super Bowl hangover" too. Our pre-season over/under mark was 9.5 and many prognosticators chose the under

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(01-14-2023, 02:16 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: This award always goes to coaches who over-achieved. Zac Taylor didn’t really do that. This team is just as good as we thought they were. You could say that maybe he’s deserving because he brought the team back from the 0-2 start, but it’s not as impressive as what some of the others did.

The Eagles were 9-8 and went 14-3 this season when their competition was the NFC East two times, the pathetic AFC South, and the NFC North.  They also had a 2nd place schedule.  

The Giants were 4-13 and went 9-7-1 with opponents coming from the same NFC East twice, AFC South, and NFC North.  They had a 4th place schedule outside of that.  

The Bengals were 10-6 and went 12-4, with what most likely would have been 13-4, playing the AFC North twice, the AFC East, and a first place schedule.   

I am not trying to minimize the work done by others, but for ZT to not even be on the top 9, after dealing with what I mentioned previously, and coming off a shortened offseason, given their run to the Super Bowl, just seems a little disingenuous to me.   
Reply/Quote
There was tough competition this year. Some excellent coaching jobs. Several. I’m good with Sirianni but then my second would be Dan Campbell.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
I think it can be argued that Zac being 12-4 with 0 all-pros is an accomplishment, while Sirianni had 6 all pros. So who really “over achieved?”
Reply/Quote
We can't be mad at absolutely everything.
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2023, 06:12 PM)Destro Wrote: We can't be mad at absolutely everything.

You must be new to the internet. Not only CAN we be mad about everything, but we MUST be. Rule #1.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
How is Tomlin on there when they didn't even make the playoffs.... Rooney Rule?
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2023, 02:54 PM)Speedy Thomas Wrote: If last year's vote had been taken the week of the Super Bowl, Zac still wouldn't have won.  To rework Sam Wyche's famous quote, "You don't live in New York...or LA...or Boston..etc...you live in Cincinnati."  No one gives a crap about us, except us.

In case no one has noticed, there is only one Bengal player in the HOF after 50+ years.  The only way we get respect is to make them give it to us.  

The interesting thing to me is, I don't think the players and coaches care about individual honors as much as team success.  That's not true everywhere.

Bottom line, there is only one award that interests me.  It will be won on the field and it won't be up to a vote.

This is spot on. There's no way in hell Zac shouldn't have won this award last year. 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-14-2023, 04:11 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: The Eagles were 9-8 and went 14-3 this season when their competition was the NFC East two times, the pathetic AFC South, and the NFC North.  They also had a 2nd place schedule.  

The Giants were 4-13 and went 9-7-1 with opponents coming from the same NFC East twice, AFC South, and NFC North.  They had a 4th place schedule outside of that.  

The Bengals were 10-6 and went 12-4, with what most likely would have been 13-4, playing the AFC North twice, the AFC East, and a first place schedule.   

I am not trying to minimize the work done by others, but for ZT to not even be on the top 9, after dealing with what I mentioned previously, and coming off a shortened offseason, given their run to the Super Bowl, just seems a little disingenuous to me.   

You know, I wasn't in total agreement with you until reading this. I think you're right, he should've been somewhere on the bottom of the list.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-14-2023, 06:47 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: You must be new to the internet. Not only CAN we be mad about everything, but we MUST be. Rule #1.

Agreed! I'm mad that we're not mad at everything.
Mad
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2023, 05:08 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: I think it can be argued that Zac being 12-4 with 0 all-pros is an accomplishment, while Sirianni had 6 all pros. So who really “over achieved?”

I'm surprised Shanahan didn't get more votes. Dropping both of your QBs during the season and still going on a 10 game win streak to end the season? Pretty impressive. 
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2023, 07:28 PM)Sled21 Wrote: How is Tomlin on there when they didn't even make the playoffs.... Rooney Rule?

He avoided a losing record with a garbage team.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2023, 04:39 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: There was tough competition this year. Some excellent coaching jobs. Several. I’m good with Sirianni but then my second would be Dan Campbell.

They've put together a sneaky good staff of former players in Detroit. They've got an exciting young team. If they had a top QB they'd be dangerous as hell. I think Goff will eventually limit how far they can go.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote