Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coaches I want now
(12-30-2018, 11:24 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I like Zimmer, but I would rather have someone who hasn't been a part of Marvin's regime.

Agreed,

They badly need to get out of the comfort zone and plunge into untested waters.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2018, 11:59 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I'd take Tony Romo.

Watching a game with him announcing should come with spoiler alert.

I'd also be willing to give Kevin Greene a shot

Greene was coaching high school football in Florida near where my wife is from last I heard. I see he was coaching with the Jets recently.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2018, 11:32 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yes! We need a culture change. We need someone from the outside to come in and look at the way we do everything: From practice. To Strength and Conditioning. To gameplanning. To scouting. And figure out what we do good. And figure out what we do bad...and change it.

Hiring Hue will be more of the same. Now, IF we were a successful team...that might be ok. But, we aren't.

I agree.  I love Zim, and I would consider him for DC, but I'm afraid he would just retain most of the staff if he was made HC.  I wouldn't be mad if he got the job, but he wouldn't be one of my top choices.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 12:04 AM)Whatever Wrote: I agree.  I love Zim, and I would consider him for DC, but I'm afraid he would just retain most of the staff if he was made HC.  I wouldn't be mad if he got the job, but he wouldn't be one of my top choices.

People forget how many of our playoff losses were atleast partially due to his defenses melting down. We got ran all over in some of our losses.

Some were because the offense was bad too.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 12:07 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: People forget how many of our playoff losses were atleast partially due to his defenses melting down. We got ran all over in some of our losses.

That's a fair point.  
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 12:07 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: People forget how many of our playoff losses were atleast partially due to his defenses melting down. We got ran all over in some of our losses.

You misspelled all
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 12:10 AM)Whatever Wrote: That's a fair point.  

So we can either blame the coaching.

Or we can blame having weaknesses in personnel like MLB that can cover a TE or Center on offense...and carrying lots of cap space forward while not addressing those needs.

Oh yeah...we had to save it so we would have cap space in later years...like this year!

We should have went for it all back then!
Reply/Quote
I'll pass on Williams. While I'd take almost anyone over Marvin or Hue, Williams is not a coach I want.

Lincoln Riley would be interesting, but I don't think he wants to make the jump. Eric Bieniemy, Freddie Kitchens, and maybe Matt LaFleur would be worth considering in my opinion. I wouldn't mind having Mike Munchak somewhere on the coaching staff as well.
Reply/Quote
If we're looking into the College coaches then why would folks want Lincoln Riley over Dabo Sweeney?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 12:24 AM)bfine32 Wrote: If we're looking into the College coaches then why would folks want Lincoln Riley over Dabo Sweeney?

I honestly doubt Sweeney would come here. Riley probably wouldn't.

Honestly, the biggest appear of this job is you can be a bad coach and retain your job.

If you want to win a championship, you go elsewhere.
Reply/Quote
As horrific as our defense was this season I would still like a young offensive minded head coach in the mold of a Sean Mcvay or Matt Nagy. I feel like today's game is more geared towards the offense. I would like to see a young offensive minded head coach paired with Mixon, Boyd and Green going forward. Maybe a new coach could even find a way better way to get the best out of Ross. It would be tough for a top coaching candidate to land here but even a guy like Frank Reich with the Colts has done a good job. He wasn't a hot name head coaching candidate coming from the Eagles and he only got offered the job after Josh Mcdaniels backed out last second. Granted we have to address the offensive line in the draft. The Colts might be a good and reasonable example for the Bengals to follow in regards to having a quick turn around next season. They hired an under the radar offensive minded head coach, had an awful offensive line and addressed it aggressively in the draft. There defense was terrible and they drafted a stud linebacker in the second round in Darius Leonard. Overall they have less talent then us on defensive and seem to be playing better with a new coaching staff. They drafted a center in the first round in Ryan Kelly a few years ago and he struggled early on but has played great this season, maybe that can be Price going forward. Obviously Luck is the only big x factor his talent elevates the team's play which Dalton can't do we would have to either overcompensate by putting more talent around him or draft a young QB if the new coach wanted one.
Reply/Quote
To my knowledge, Gregg Williams has yet to beat a team with a winning record.  He's also a scumbag.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 12:26 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I honestly doubt Sweeney would come here. Riley probably wouldn't.

Honestly, the biggest appear of this job is you can be a bad coach and retain your job.

If you want to win a championship, you go elsewhere.

I saw a fansite mention Tom Herman as an idea.  From his POV, if he just wants to coach where he was born, have job security and be welcomed he could make sense.  
Reply/Quote
I honestly put odds like this:

60% chance it's Marvin next year.
25% chance it's Hue
8% chance it's Jay Gruden.
4% chance it's Eric Bienemy.
1% chance it's Zimmer.
.9% chance it's Vance Joseph or some other Bengal affiliate.
.1% chance it's someone else with no Bengal affiliation.
Reply/Quote
There was an article on SI on the Vikes and some of the Zimmer comments made me think he would fit right in with Mikey. The Vikes redid their draft room and he said "$750K to replace magnets'
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
Zimmer HC+DC
McCarthy highly paid OC

or

McCarthy HC+OC
Zimmer highly paid DC

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Bienemy or Zimmer would make me pretty happy. They both have their flaws, but being that there's a strong chance that Mikey hires a coach with ties to the team, I think those 2 are our best options. Bienemy might take a while to earn trust and gain the power Marvin had. Say what you will about Marvin, but he did manage to wrest some power from the family, an that's a positive thing. We'd have to start back at zero with Bienemy.

As far as Zimmer goes, if I have to pick a Lewis coaching tree guy, I'd take him over Vance and Hue, and probably even Jay if he happened to be available. He's had more success than any of those guys by a pretty large stretch. I think he'd butt heads with Mike on many things, and he may flame out due to that.
Reply/Quote
Here is what I would like to see. Zimmer let go and brought in as HC. Jay Gruden let go and brought back as OC. Jack Del Rio brought in as DC.

We would finally have a group of coaches who would show some fire on the sidelines if nothing else.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 01:37 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I honestly put odds like this:

60% chance it's Marvin next year.
25% chance it's Hue
8% chance it's Jay Gruden.
4% chance it's Eric Bienemy.
1% chance it's Zimmer.
.9% chance it's Vance Joseph or some other Bengal affiliate.
.1% chance it's someone else with no Bengal affiliation.

This is approximately correct.  Mike Brown hates change.  The odds are virtually nil that he will hire someone that hasn't played or worked for the Bengals.   It will take three disastrous head coaching hires before he'll go outside. 

It's probably more likely that Bob Bicknell will become our new Dave Shula than that they'd take a flyer on someone not associated with the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 02:26 AM)mallorian69 Wrote: Here is what I would like to see. Zimmer let go and brought in as HC. Jay Gruden let go and brought back as OC. Jack Del Rio brought in as DC.

We would finally have a group of coaches who would show some fire on the sidelines  if nothing else.

This was the exact scenario that some wanted in 2011.  Not poking fun, 8 years later it would be fitting. 
Reply/Quote