Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coaches I want now
(12-31-2018, 02:26 AM)mallorian69 Wrote: Here is what I would like to see. Zimmer let go and brought in as HC. Jay Gruden let go and brought back as OC. Jack Del Rio brought in as DC.

We would finally have a group of coaches who would show some fire on the sidelines  if nothing else.

Interesting. I don't actually have that fond of memories about Jay Gruden being OC here. Sure the Bengals had the 10th ranked offense in football in 2013, but keep in mind he had this offense to work with..

QB: Dalton
RB: Bernard, BJGE
TE: Gresham, Eifert
WR: Green, Jones, Sanu, Hawkins
OL: Whitworth, Boling, Cook, Zeitler, A Smith

Pro Bowl QB, great receiving RB, two Pro Bowl TEs, Pro Bowl WR (plus a WR who'd later catch 1,100+ yards in a season and two more who'd catch 800+ yards).

That was probably about as good of skill players as the Bengals ever had and Gruden could only get them to be 10th.

...then they went and scored all of 10 points against a really inferior Chargers team.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
My cat is open to a head coaching job and won't crap in the house since she's an outdoors cat or has been for the past 3 seasons.. Perfect for a team with no indoors practice facilities. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 12:43 AM)lone bengal Wrote: As horrific as our defense was this season I would still like a young offensive minded head coach in the mold of a Sean Mcvay or Matt Nagy. I feel like today's game is more geared towards the offense. I would like to see a young offensive minded head coach paired with Mixon, Boyd and Green going forward. Maybe a new coach could even find a way better way to get the best out of Ross. It would be tough for a top coaching candidate to land here but even a guy like Frank Reich with the Colts has done a good job.  He wasn't a hot name head coaching candidate coming from the Eagles and he only got offered the job after Josh Mcdaniels backed out last second. Granted we have to address the offensive line in the draft. The Colts might be a good and reasonable example for the Bengals to follow in regards to having a quick turn around next season. They hired an under the radar offensive minded head coach, had an awful offensive line and addressed it aggressively in the draft. There defense was terrible and they drafted a stud linebacker in the second round in Darius Leonard.  Overall they have less talent then us on defensive and seem to be playing better with a new coaching staff. They drafted a center in the first round in Ryan Kelly a few years ago and he struggled early on but has played great this season, maybe that can be Price going forward.  Obviously Luck is the only big x factor his talent elevates the team's play which Dalton can't do we would have to either overcompensate by putting more talent around him or draft a young QB if the new coach wanted one.

I think these are all valid points but the one key point that you made is that they have Andrew Luck and we don't.  He's the difference maker when healthy.  That team made some good personnel moves but in terms of talent on roster, they still are mediocre at best.  The difference is they have an elite QB when healthy and we don't. 
Reply/Quote
It'll be Marvin or Hue.

By the way, I don't care how much better the Browns played under him, **** Gregg Williams forever. Piece of shit shouldn't even be in the league.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 05:09 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Interesting. I don't actually have that fond of memories about Jay Gruden being OC here. Sure the Bengals had the 10th ranked offense in football in 2013, but keep in mind he had this offense to work with..

QB: Dalton
RB: Bernard, BJGE
TE: Gresham, Eifert
WR: Green, Jones, Sanu, Hawkins
OL: Whitworth, Boling, Cook, Zeitler, A Smith

Pro Bowl QB, great receiving RB, two Pro Bowl TEs, Pro Bowl WR (plus a WR who'd later catch 1,100+ yards in a season and two more who'd catch 800+ yards).

That was probably about as good of skill players as the Bengals ever had and Gruden could only get them to be 10th.

...then they went and scored all of 10 points against a really inferior Chargers team.
We still have Dalton, Green, and Gio. We also have a much better RB1 in Mixon and Boyd is as good as or better than Jones or Sanu. Boling is still here and Price will end up being better than Cook.

The line still needs a couple of players but even this crappy line was good enough for Mixon the lead the AFC in rushing despite him missing 2 games. If we Draft or sign a decent LT and G we still have Glenn and Smith to fight for the RT spot.

TE is a concern but if we can get Kroft and CJ resigned and add a good player from a deep TE pool in the draft we will be good.

The 10th ranked offense is good enough as long as the defense is solid. 
Reply/Quote
All I know is Billy Price has A LOT of work to do this off season.
Reply/Quote
Head Coach: Mike McCarthy
Offensive Coordinator: Hue Jackson
Defensive Coordinator: Jack Del Rio
Reply/Quote
Isn't McCarthy going to Cleveland?
Reply/Quote
We need Teryl Austin and we need him now. Teryl never got a fair shake here. He needs a chance to get his guys and implement his philosophy with the team.

Let him gut the vets on defense like Geno and Carlos. Bring in rookies.

Plus, he'd lose so much over his first few seasons that he'd get the top pick almost every year. By 2021 we'd have Trevor Lawrence and the best o-line since the Cowboys dynasty of the 90's.

Mikey better get down on one knee, apologize to Teryl for unfairly firing him, and offer him the HC spot before Wednesday. You never know when Vince McMahon's new league is going to start filling coaching positions!
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2018, 11:59 PM)CornerBlitz Wrote: I'll take Zimmer in a heartbeat but i doubt he's available.  If he is i'd be all over him.  He's proven to be an excellent coach no matter where he is.

Overall I see little difference with Lewis or Zimmer when it comes to performance in key games and playoffs.  Zimmer's defense never performed in the playoffs like the offseason, He has 1 win in playoffs with Vikings and we all know that was a fluke win on a crazy play, this year the Vikings probably underperformed more than any team when you look at what they had coming back, what they did in offseason and overall stayed healthy in terms of the NFL season. Finally as a whole this has become a offense driven game, Zimmer is not cut of that cloth, from the same older school of defense and conversative play as Lewis.  I think we need to bring in a younger coach that is more in tune with the changes of the NFL today.  
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2018, 11:19 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: If the Steelers fire Mike Tomlin.......

No.

Stop. Bang Head
Reply/Quote
Swing for the fences picks:
-Kris Richards
-Eric Bieniemy
-Lincoln Riley
-Vic Fangio

Solid, Safer Established HC picks:
-Mike McCarthy
-Mike Zimmer

"Bengal" picks:
-Hue Jackson
-Jay Gruden
-Vance Joseph
Reply/Quote
Bruce Arians did a great job with the Colts when Pagano was out and then went into Arizona and straightened the Cardinals up too.

I think he'd be an intriguing guy for 3-4 years.
Reply/Quote
Besides Paul Brown has any previous Bengals Head Coach had head coaching experience before coming to the Bengals? I didn't research it but it seems that they always go with a inexperienced head coach. I am saying this because I'm hoping for Eric Bieniemy.
Reply/Quote
Adam Gase should be the #1 priority now. I would like Arians as well if he would come here. Whoever suggested Tomlin must be out of their mind. Him and Hue might be the only 2 downgrades out there. I dunno why Cleveland is dismissing Gregg Williams as a candidate. I would love to bring him in as the DC if Cleveland doesnt retain him.
Reply/Quote