Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coaching Change...
Tiger Just some food for thought. Mike Brown is 83 yrs old. Do you think maybe he's on the sideline for this coaching search? I'm thinking Katie and Troy may be at the head for this. Does Katie have enough football knowledge to make the right hire? Is she listening to the scouts or somebody else she trusts?

Remember 16 yrs ago MB wanted to hire Tom Coughlin. Katie and Troy talked him into hiring Marvin... Cry
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
No Hobson said he is heading up the committee.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2019, 09:20 AM)Au165 Wrote: No Hobson said he is heading up the committee.

That's not Mike, that's Bernie Lomax..   Ninja

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2019, 02:18 AM)JSR18 Wrote: Tiger Just some food for thought. Mike Brown is 83 yrs old. Do you think maybe he's on the sideline for this coaching search? I'm thinking Katie and Troy may be at the head for this. Does Katie have enough football knowledge to make the right hire? Is she listening to the scouts or somebody else she trusts?

Remember 16 yrs ago MB wanted to hire Tom Coughlin. Katie and Troy talked him into hiring Marvin... Cry

Not quite, Coughlin would never have come to this team as it was known he wanted far more changes to the front office. 

I am not sure Mikey has enough football knowledge to make the right hire let alone Katie. Or he may have but he may dismiss that given he wants a serf, someone who will accept his way of doing things (like Merv did). 
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2019, 10:00 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That's not Mike, that's Bernie Lomax..   Ninja

Maybe they take Mike to Knots Berry Farm before the interview and when Mike goes to the restroom they leave him and conduct the interview...
Reply/Quote
Katie has lived almost her entire life helping run an NFL team. Does she have enough football knowledge? Would you ask that if she were a man?
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2019, 12:34 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Katie has lived almost her entire life helping run an NFL team. Does she have enough football knowledge? Would you ask that if she were a man?

Yes. Mike got to learn from his father. It didn’t seem to help much. Katie has learned mostly from mike, so she is severely handicapped in this regard.

Our best hope is she learned her dads ways aren’t the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2019, 01:04 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Yes.  Mike got to learn from his father.  It didn’t seem to help much.  Katie has learned mostly from mike, so she is severely handicapped in this regard.  

Our best hope is she learned her dads ways aren’t the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hopefully football acumen is like the receding hairline gene, it skips a generation?

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Honestly WHO CARES!!! The fact that the process DIDN'T start with hiring a President of Football Operations to oversee hiring of a GM, scouting department then coach just means this is just smelly s**t in another bag!!!
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2019, 02:18 AM)JSR18 Wrote: Tiger Just some food for thought. Mike Brown is 83 yrs old. Do you think maybe he's on the sideline for this coaching search? I'm thinking Katie and Troy may be at the head for this. Does Katie have enough football knowledge to make the right hire? Is she listening to the scouts or somebody else she trusts?

Mike is definitely involved in the search, but the decision will be made by committee.  
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2019, 01:11 PM)count35 Wrote: Honestly WHO CARES!!! The fact that the process DIDN'T start with hiring a President of Football Operations to oversee hiring of a GM, scouting department then coach just means this is just smelly s**t in another bag!!!

Explain to us again this magical notion of hiring a GM that guarantees anything other than having a title on a door with the words: "General Manager" .. I've dealt with several general managers in my lifetime who couldn't pour piss out of a boot with instructions stamped on the heel. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2019, 01:43 PM)grampahol Wrote: Explain to us again this magical notion of hiring a GM that guarantees anything other than having a title on a door with the words: "General Manager" .. I've dealt with several general managers in my lifetime who couldn't pour piss out of a boot with instructions stamped on the heel. 

Sorry Mr. Brown you're right just go ahead and keep on doing what you've been doing thus far, I'm sure THAT will eventually work out!!!!
Reply/Quote
None of us know for sure, but I think Mike's first few coaching hires we're mostly Mike. The organization is a lot bigger now, there's a lot more involvement by more people. This isn't just Mike making a decision, it's the lot of them.
Reply/Quote

I don't believe Mike Brown has much football knowledge at all, or if he does he's yet to actually use it as the GM. How much knowledge can Katie or her husband really have? I tend to view them more as administrators or accountants.

For Mike Brown it's all been about his mental comfort, as he has mentioned his comfort level so many times I doubt I could count them. To his credit though he has stepped out of the draft generally, as whenever he gets involved in it we get bad picks almost every time.

Coughlin would have been a good choice but there's no guarantee that he would have brought a playoff win under the Mikey management philosophy.

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2019, 03:25 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I don't believe Mike Brown has much football knowledge at all, or if he does he's yet to actually use it as the GM. How much knowledge can Katie or her husband really have? I tend to view them more as administrators or accountants.

For Mike Brown it's all been about his mental comfort, as he has mentioned his comfort level so many times I doubt I could count them. To his credit though he has stepped out of the draft generally, as whenever he gets involved in it we get bad picks almost every time.

Coughlin would have been a good choice but there's no guarantee that he would have brought a playoff win under the Mikey management philosophy.

Knowledge and competence are two different things.

He has plenty of knowledge.   He was raised in a football family by a football legend and he was a college level quarter back.  And he's been around the game for a long time.

And he has some decision-making skills.  They just aren't consistently good.

The year we took Justin Smith in the first round he wanted to draft Drew Brees and was voted down.   But he defied the opinions I believe of everyone around him and eschewed the offer Mike Ditka made to give us all New Orleans' picks and insisted on drafting Akili Smith.

I think Marvin was the right choice at the time.   And who knows what he might have done if he'd had total control of things.  We'll never know.
Reply/Quote

Think it is all of them, MB, Katie, Troy and Duke.

As long as they hire one of Bienemy, Taylor, Monken or Waldron i will be happy.

Think it will be one of these guys too.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2019, 02:03 PM)Benton Wrote: None of us know for sure, but I think Mike's first few coaching hires we're mostly Mike. The organization is a lot bigger now, there's a lot more involvement by more people. This isn't just Mike making a decision, it's the lot of them.

I believe that to be the truth, as well.  I'm sure that it's likely that each member of the "executive committee" has certain qualities that they're looking for in the right person for the job.  For the candidates, it must feel like sitting before the parole board..  

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2019, 04:17 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Think it is all of them, MB, Katie, Troy and Duke.

As long as they hire one of Bienemy, Taylor, Monken or Waldron i will be happy.

Think it will be one of these guys too.

Well they may have more guys from the wild card teams that they want to interview next week.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2019, 01:56 PM)count35 Wrote: Sorry Mr. Brown you're right just go ahead and keep on doing what you've been doing thus far, I'm sure THAT will eventually work out!!!!

Well you got me there.. I'm convinced putting the title on a door is what's needed. Boy! Whoda thunk it'd be so simple? 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I don't know why people are still saying we need a GM when it has been reported over and over again that we already have a guy doing the job.

His name is Duke Tobin, he just doesn't have the title of GM.
Reply/Quote