Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coaching Tree
I just realized the there are now three division winning head coaches that coached for the Bengals as recently as two years ago.

I know it is pretty obvious that I am speaking of Marvin, Zimmer, and Gruden.

I am really impressed with what both Zimmer and Gruden have done with the teams they took over.

Kevin Coyle didn't fare as well in Miami, but I think there was a lot of extenuating circumstances there.

Good luck to both of them this weekend!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Gruden, meh.
Reply/Quote
He's developing a decent coaching tree.  Zimmer and Gruden have been moderately successful so far. No to Leslie Frazier.  Also, if we're counting coaches that worked under him when he was a coordinator, there is Jack Del Rio and Mike Smith.

I'm sure Hue will be joining this in about a month.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2016, 10:25 PM)kdgjr Wrote: Gruden, meh.

What they've been able to do, albeit in that division, is still pretty impressive. Hope both he and Zimmer notch their first playoff wins. And, Marvin too, of course.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
Gruden won the division because his division was a joke. Two HC who are fired/"retired", and one HC who is an acknowledged .500 Yes Man for his owner.

NFC East only has one team with at least a .500 record. Every single single other division (even the AFC South) has at least two.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2016, 10:59 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Gruden won the division because his division was a joke. Two HC who are fired/"retired", and one HC who is an acknowledged .500 Yes Man for his owner.

NFC East only has one team with at least a .500 record. Every single single other division (even the AFC South) has at least two.

Hey, bad division or not, Gruden sticking with and developing Cousins with RGIII looming over everything is pretty impressive. The team was expected to be the 32nd best team in the league and won the division. I don't care how bad that division was, it's impressive. 
[Image: what%2Bday%2Bis%2Bit.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2016, 11:09 PM)MrRager Wrote: Hey, bad division or not, Gruden sticking with and developing Cousins with RGIII looming over everything is pretty impressive. The team was expected to be the 32nd best team in the league and won the division. I don't care how bad that division was, it's impressive. 

i agree with you.. Gruden stuck to his guns and keep Cousins in there.. how many coaches in the past would do the QB Carousel...
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2016, 10:59 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Gruden won the division because his division was a joke. Two HC who are fired/"retired", and one HC who is an acknowledged .500 Yes Man for his owner.

Take Carolina out of mix and NFC South not anything to write home about.  Bottom line Gruden did a nice job.. he had a winning record in his second season and made a Coaching decision to stay with Cousins.. gave him the confidence he needed to continue to get better as the year went on... Also it is how you finish more than how you start.  Washington won 5 out of their last 6
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2016, 11:09 PM)MrRager Wrote: Hey, bad division or not, Gruden sticking with and developing Cousins with RGIII looming over everything is pretty impressive. The team was expected to be the 32nd best team in the league and won the division. I don't care how bad that division was, it's impressive. 

He turned Kirk Cousins into a 4200 yard passer, and won a division.  We can thank him for Andy Dalton.  Gruden is not the bum that some on here portray him to be.
Reply/Quote
Some of us realized this months ago:

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-How-about-that-Marvin-Lewis-Coaching-Tree?highlight=coaching+tree
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Too bad one of the branches is more likely to win a playoff game than the trunk....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
So you take a positive thread and make a negative.. typical
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2016, 11:34 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: He turned Kirk Cousins into a 4200 yard passer, and won a division.  We can thank him for Andy Dalton.  Gruden is not the bum that some on here portray him to be.

This.
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2016, 11:56 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: So you take a positive thread and make a negative.. typical

They cannot help themselves. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2016, 10:52 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: He's developing a decent coaching tree.  Zimmer and Gruden have been moderately successful so far. No to Leslie Frazier.  Also, if we're counting coaches that worked under him when he was a coordinator, there is Jack Del Rio and Mike Smith.

I'm sure Hue will be joining this in about a month.

Those guys would fall under the Billick tree I believe. Which in itself isn't a bad tree either.

Marvin has a chance to really have a nice one the way he is developing coaches.
Reply/Quote
Zimmer learned under a much better HC than Lewis will ever be. His name is Bill Parcells.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2016, 11:34 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: He turned Kirk Cousins into a 4200 yard passer, and won a division.  We can thank him for Andy Dalton.  Gruden is not the bum that some on here portray him to be.

Gruden is a fine coach. I think he will only get better and better.
Reply/Quote
Gruden has had some bone-headed moments. But his evolution on Cousins is very reminiscent of a 2013 Andy Dalton. Some up and down play throughout the year. But Kirk stayed hot towards the end.

Zimmer made that defense go from one of the worst when he came in to a top 15 unit. Top 5 in scoring defense.

We're very fortunate to have these great coaches. Just mind-baffling how none of them won a playoff game here.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2016, 02:47 AM)Yojimbo Wrote: Zimmer learned under a much better HC than Lewis will ever be. His name is Bill Parcells.

This is truth......

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2016, 11:56 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: So you take a positive thread and make a negative.. typical

I think the man's record of futility does that on its own accord.....

Reply/Quote