Thread Rating:
  • 29 Vote(s) - 3.14 Average
Coaching props and rants!
(09-14-2021, 03:36 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Exactly. It feels weird defending the guy but there some things based in reality or concrete logic that I feel need to be mentioned. I get disliking him as a coach, the team has stunk since he has taken over but he has had some good moments and it’s fine to call them out, too.

Right....and it does feel weird, lol. I guess my thread is kinda hopeful that now that they have their desired personnel and are healthy, we'll continue to see marked improvement. If not, he helped put together a pretty solid roster and maybe the next guy gets them to the next level.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2021, 03:24 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Well this most likely is not the thread for you.

I will see myself out...  Smirk
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2021, 03:40 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Zac definitely had the boys ready to play; while many an Bengal wet dream (Zimmer) had his team ill-prepared.

Although we had a couple need IVs it appeared the team was well conditioned. They played 5 quarters in 90 degree weather and we suffered 0 injuries. (Mixon had me worried when getting ankle re-taped)

We had 0 turnovers

We eased Zac into the game and went to JaMarr early.

Good point on the no turnovers and conditioning, hadn't even considered that aspect.

Reply/Quote
(09-14-2021, 03:44 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I will see myself out...  Smirk

LMAO....nah, you're entitled to dissenting opinions in my threads.   I just saw some things I liked that had been problem areas the last few years and wanted to discuss them.

Reply/Quote
(09-14-2021, 03:36 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: That explains it, I didn't watch the postgame presser. I still give Burrow at least 75% of the credit for making the read and play. I still felt very unsure about a lot of the other 3rd/4th down calls. I'm not sure what our percentage was in those areas.

The Bengals had one of the best percentages in the league last year in 4th down conversions, did they not?
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2021, 02:16 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Are these guys afraid they may have to take a whizz on the sidelines. I seriously don't know how you get dehydrated when you can spend the entire time the defense is on the field knocking back Gatorades and water. I see players sipping from the small cups now and again. They all need to have the big bottle in their hands and drinking constantly 

In order to avoid dehydration, they need to be drinking more liquids leading up to the game. Waiting until the game starts isn't going to get it done. 

Someone on the team needs to make sure they're pounding this point home every day leading up to gameday.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2021, 04:27 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: In order to avoid dehydration, they need to be drinking more liquids leading up to the game. Waiting until the game starts isn't going to get it done. 

Someone on the team needs to make sure they're pounding this point home every day leading up to gameday.

Yep, I heard a NASCAR driver in an interview say that once he gets to the point where has to piss every 3 minutes, he knows he's good to get into the car.
Reply/Quote
NOTHING beats an IV. I'd get 2 a day if I could. These players aren't dehydrated; they just want the boost. Chad used to go into the locker room early every week to get one. Remember the supposed dust up between him and Hue/Marvin during the Steeler's playoff game? Dude was getting an IV when it happened.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-14-2021, 04:11 PM)Sled21 Wrote: The Bengals had one of the best percentages in the league last year in 4th down conversions, did they not?

They were great on 4th down last year. The play calling was great on 4th down last year. I don't remember them going for it from deep in their own territory though--it was primarily at the 50 or further, and coming from behind in the game. This year they aren't starting out great. They got the 4th and inches when it mattered most. But it doesn't erase the debacle of going for it to from their own 30 to let the other team back in the game. They easily could have lost the game prior to getting the 4th and inches opportunity. It wasn't a good judgement call, and it's dumbfounding that a lot of fans are saying they are okay with it. There is smart aggressive, and there is stupid aggressive. I will never get behind stupidity.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2021, 03:31 PM)Wyche Wrote: I found that quite odd too. Cramps I understand, hydration? I don't get it. Maybe they should try to hire Bobby Boucher.

Momma says you might be on to something there.

Reply/Quote
(09-14-2021, 04:11 PM)Sled21 Wrote: The Bengals had one of the best percentages in the league last year in 4th down conversions, did they not?

Yes they were ranked 4th with 70.4%.  They also ranked 4th in attempts (27).  Their 3rd down conversion rate was what was bad at 36.2% placed them at 30th in the league in 2020.  They were ranked 8th in 2020 on 3rd down attempts. So far after game 1 they are not off to a very hot start on 3rd down either (3-14) 21.4%.   Hopefully they start doing better on 3rd down which of course will cut down on the 4th down attempts. :)

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2021, 07:46 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Yes they were ranked 4th with 70.4%.  They also ranked 4th in attempts (27).  Their 3rd down conversion rate was what was bad at 36.2% placed them at 30th in the league in 2020.  They were ranked 8th in 2020 on 3rd down attempts.  So far after game 1 they are not off to a very hot start on 3rd down either (3-14) 21.4%.    Hopefully they start doing better on 3rd down which of course will cut down on the 4th down attempts.  :)

You're right, and I bet the 3rd down D was pretty bad last year too.

Reply/Quote
(09-14-2021, 03:33 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: Just as we see 'blind hatred' of Zac, we see 'blind homerism' of Zac. I think the majority of people are in the middle though, just like with politics. Real life is lived in the grey between the two extremes.

Lou is the most impressive what he's done with his D. Considering the Bengals have historically been an Offense team.
Reply/Quote
It was a mixed bag for ZT. I didn’t like going for the 4th & 1, and his conservative play calling at the end almost cost us the game, but he got the W. That’s all that matters. Lou called a pretty good game. That’s a hell of an offense he was dealing with.

Some other coaches I’ll give a shout to are Pollack (his unit was pretty good outside of Hopkins), Hobby (DL was dominant all day), and Simmons (I’m sure he had a say in drafting McPherson, and keeping Stanley Morgan looks great so far).

Reply/Quote
(09-14-2021, 09:56 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It was a mixed bag for ZT. I didn’t like going for the 4th & 1, and his conservative play calling at the end almost cost us the game, but he got the W. That’s all that matters. Lou called a pretty good game. That’s a hell of an offense he was dealing with.

Some other coaches I’ll give a shout to are Pollack (his unit was pretty good outside of Hopkins), Hobby (DL was dominant all day), and Simmons (I’m sure he had a say in drafting McPherson, and keeping Stanley Morgan looks great so far).

One thing that i saw right away--something i don't recall seeing in the recent past--were the cutbacks. I'd have to think that's 100% on FP coaching them up that way, with the lanes that open up in his scheme. Ickey was known for that and it drove me crazy the last couple years watching RBs run right into a wall when there were lanes on the back side. Mixon did a really good job cutting back and getting some serious yards, when it was there. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2021, 10:05 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: One thing that i saw right away--something i don't recall seeing in the recent past--were the cutbacks. I'd have to think that's 100% on FP coaching them up that way, with the lanes that open up in his scheme. Ickey was known for that and it drove me crazy the last couple years watching RBs run right into a wall when there were lanes on the back side. Mixon did a really good job cutting back and getting some serious yards, when it was there. 

Good point. Nobody was more excited about bringing Pollack back than Mixon. And Pollack has the official title of run game coordinator and everything now. 149 yds on the ground between Mixon & Perine is a nice start.

Reply/Quote
Play calling was fine.

Fans wanted a coach that wouldn't just punt and pray, they got it.

Bengals play calling did fine, we just need to protect JB better and we're all good.
Reply/Quote
I'm no ZT fan, that's no secret. And the going for it on 4th down from our own 30 up by 14 in a game we were in control of = dumbass call.

Having said that there were several good things in the game which have been covered that you can kinda hang your hat on.

I still have very little faith Zac is the answer down the road. But I'm willing to shut up and see what happens over next few games.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2021, 04:27 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote:
In order to avoid dehydration, they need to be drinking more liquids leading up to the game. Waiting until the game starts isn't going to get it done. 

Yes!   My kids played a lot of soccer.  They were all told to hydrate 24 hours ahead of time.   He said their pee should be almost clear the morning of the game.  

Then hydrate before the game and modestly during the game.  Lap said once you're dehydrated you're in a vicious cycle.   You need more fluids, but drinking enough makes you feel bloated, without really hydrating you.  When I played football we would get nauseous when we drank too much during heavy practice or a game.   And it did nothing to prevent the cramping.

It's all in the planning.   Hopefully someone helps Chase and Higgins get this done. 
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2021, 07:43 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: They were great on 4th down last year. The play calling was great on 4th down last year. I don't remember them going for it from deep in their own territory though--it was primarily at the 50 or further, and coming from behind in the game. This year they aren't starting out great. They got the 4th and inches when it mattered most. But it doesn't erase the debacle of going for it to from their own 30 to let the other team back in the game. They easily could have lost the game prior to getting the 4th and inches opportunity. It wasn't a good judgement call, and it's dumbfounding that a lot of fans are saying they are okay with it. There is smart aggressive, and there is stupid aggressive. I will never get behind stupidity.

Yeah, the 4th and 1 on our 30 was definitely ill advised.   But I liked the aggressive play calling philosophy overall.  No coach gets all the calls right.  Belichick has had a few highly questionable calls in the prime of his career.

I think Zach would like that one back, but all in all I agree with the OP that good coaching was more evident than it has been.   Other than the one definite gaff I was mostly really encouraged - on both sides of the ball.

We'll see.  Teams have all training camp to game plan for the first game.   Lot of football to be played.  Hopefully the coaches will continue to grow!
Reply/Quote