Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Coaching staff tracker
(02-27-2019, 11:00 PM)bonesaw Wrote: What if JB was a spy for you know who down the river all these years?

You should be banned for besmirching the man so gravely!!!

No one cares more, and is as loyal as JB.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Do we know the length of the contracts for any of these guys? How long are these guys being hired for?
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2019, 07:33 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: Do we know the length of the contracts for any of these guys? How long are these guys being hired for?

Knowing Mike Brown, I'd say 15-20 years at least.  Mellow
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2019, 01:13 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Knowing Mike Brown, I'd say 15-20 years at least.  Mellow

Lifetime?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
Zac and Duke said the official list would be out today anyone seen it?
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Bengals add 26 year Brad Kragthorpe from LSU to the staff as offensive assistant.

https://twitter.com/BKragthorpe
http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=5200&ATCLID=205563489
Reply/Quote
The real burning question is who will be the assistant to the assistant of the assistant to the assistant of the assistant to the assistant of the assistant to the official assistant? and what's the difference between being the "assistant of" and the "assistant to"?  It must be miles apart.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
our 2019 coaching staff

https://www.bengals.com/news/bengals-hire-six-assistant-coaches

HEAD COACH

Zac Taylor
ASSISTANT COACHES

Lou Anarumo (defensive coordinator)
Bob Bicknell* (wide receivers)
Joey Boese (strength and conditioning)
Brian Callahan (offensive coordinator)
James Casey (tight ends)
Brayden Coombs* (assistant special teams)
Nick Eason (defensive line)
Todd Hunt (assistant strength and conditioning)
Daronte Jones* (secondary/cornerbacks)
Jordan Kovacs (defensive quality control)
Brad Kragthorpe (offensive assistant)
Robert Livingston* (secondary/safeties)
Tem Lukabu (linebackers)
Ben Martin (assistant offensive line)
Dan Pitcher* (assistant quarterbacks)
Darrin Simmons* (special teams coordinator)
Jemal Singleton (running backs)
Garrett Swanson (assistant strength and conditioning)
Jim Turner (offensive line)
Alex Van Pelt* (quarterbacks)
STAFF

Doug Rosfeld (director of coaching operations)

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Some info from Bengals.com on the newest additions that were announced with Eason and Lukabu:

Brad Kragthorpe
Kragthorpe, 26, was an offensive coaching analyst for Louisiana State University in 2018. Prior to working for LSU, he was an offensive graduate assistant coach at Utah State University from 2016-17. Kragthorpe played quarterback at both LSU (2012-15) and Idaho State University (’11). He graduated from LSU with a business degree in 2015.

Jordan Kovacs
Kovacs, 28, spent the last two seasons (2017-18) as a graduate assistant at the University of Michigan. He played safety in the NFL from 2013-15 with the Miami Dolphins. Originally a college free agent signee, he played in 28 games in his career with the Dolphins. In college, he played four seasons (2009-12) at the University of Michigan, where he earned a bachelor’s degree in movement science in ’13. He originally joining the team as a walk-on before working his way to team captain as a senior.

Todd Hunt
Hunt, 27, was an assistant strength and conditioning coach at the University of Illinois in 2018. Previously, he was a defensive graduate assistant coach at Fresno State from 2016-17. He also played defensive end at Fresno State (2012-15), graduating with a degree in criminology and law enforcement in ’15.

Garrett Swanson
Swanson, 24, was an assistant strength and conditioning coach at the University of Illinois from 2017-18. He was a punter and kicker for Fresno State (2012-15), where he earned a bachelor’s degree in exercise science in ’16. He signed with the Arizona Cardinals as a college free agent in 2016, playing for the Cardinals in preseason that year. Swanson earned a master’s degree in kinesiology from California Baptist University in 2018.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2019, 05:44 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Some info from Bengals.com on the newest additions that were announced with Eason and Lukabu:

Brad Kragthorpe
Kragthorpe, 26, was an offensive coaching analyst for Louisiana State University in 2018. Prior to working for LSU, he was an offensive graduate assistant coach at Utah State University from 2016-17. Kragthorpe played quarterback at both LSU (2012-15) and Idaho State University (’11). He graduated from LSU with a business degree in 2015.

Jordan Kovacs
Kovacs, 28, spent the last two seasons (2017-18) as a graduate assistant at the University of Michigan. He played safety in the NFL from 2013-15 with the Miami Dolphins. Originally a college free agent signee, he played in 28 games in his career with the Dolphins. In college, he played four seasons (2009-12) at the University of Michigan, where he earned a bachelor’s degree in movement science in ’13. He originally joining the team as a walk-on before working his way to team captain as a senior.

Todd Hunt
Hunt, 27, was an assistant strength and conditioning coach at the University of Illinois in 2018. Previously, he was a defensive graduate assistant coach at Fresno State from 2016-17. He also played defensive end at Fresno State (2012-15), graduating with a degree in criminology and law enforcement in ’15.

Garrett Swanson
Swanson, 24, was an assistant strength and conditioning coach at the University of Illinois from 2017-18. He was a punter and kicker for Fresno State (2012-15), where he earned a bachelor’s degree in exercise science in ’16. He signed with the Arizona Cardinals as a college free agent in 2016, playing for the Cardinals in preseason that year. Swanson earned a master’s degree in kinesiology from California Baptist University in 2018.

Man, this sure is a young coaching staff but they have been around football a lot so i don't find it to be a problem at this juncture.

We will see how it goes. Think i remember Kovacs on Michigan.
Reply/Quote
Taylor has a plan and I hope it pans out. I worry how the youth of coaching staff will gain respect from players.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(02-28-2019, 07:33 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: Do we know the length of the contracts for any of these guys? How long are these guys being hired for?

I believe the rule is assistant coach contracts can only go 3 years max.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2019, 05:20 PM)pally Wrote: our 2019 coaching staff

https://www.bengals.com/news/bengals-hire-six-assistant-coaches

HEAD COACH

Zac Taylor
ASSISTANT COACHES

Lou Anarumo (defensive coordinator)
Bob Bicknell* (wide receivers)
Joey Boese (strength and conditioning)
Brian Callahan (offensive coordinator)
James Casey (tight ends)
Brayden Coombs* (assistant special teams)
Nick Eason (defensive line)
Todd Hunt (assistant strength and conditioning)
Daronte Jones* (secondary/cornerbacks)
Jordan Kovacs (defensive quality control)
Brad Kragthorpe (offensive assistant)
Robert Livingston* (secondary/safeties)
Tem Lukabu (linebackers)
Ben Martin (assistant offensive line)
Dan Pitcher* (assistant quarterbacks)
Darrin Simmons* (special teams coordinator)
Jemal Singleton (running backs)
Garrett Swanson (assistant strength and conditioning)
Jim Turner (offensive line)
Alex Van Pelt* (quarterbacks)
STAFF

Doug Rosfeld (director of coaching operations)

WOW!  I didn't know there were so many coaches!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe that's the problem. Too many coaches!!! There is no need for all these coaches. Don't they all practice together as a team? seems with all the coaches, the players spend a lot of time separated with their "specialty" coach. You would think by the time they're in the NFL, all you would need is the HC, OC, DC and the ST coach, who may do all the individualized coaching if needed. Were do I sign up? I'd like to be the fan coach, to coach them on the value and influences of fan when they play well etc. (psychological).
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2019, 10:22 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: WOW!  I didn't know there were so many coaches!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe that's the problem. Too many coaches!!! There is no need for all these coaches. Don't they all practice together as a team? seems with all the coaches they spend a lot of time separate with their "specialty" coach. You would think by the time they're in the NFL, all you would need is the HC, OC, DC and ST coach who does all the individualized coaching if needed. Were do I sign up? I'd like to be the fan coach, to coach them on the value and influences of fan when they play well etc. (psychological).

Look at it this way, the Bengals have always utilized the coaching staff as default scouts.  Now, we have a larger scouting department.  ThumbsUp

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2019, 11:27 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Look at it this way, the Bengals have always utilized the coaching staff as default scouts.  Now, we have a larger scouting department.  ThumbsUp

Yep

It's been few weeks ago but I'm pretty sure it was Munoz talking about the underrated importance of position coaches, Oline/Dline coaches and so on ! They're the guys that spend the bulk of the time with the players. The real meat and potatoes of what makes a pro football team go from good to great.
Reply/Quote
I think Taylor will add to scouting department. Bring the department in line with NFL. AND I think they get the all elusive bubble!
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(02-07-2019, 03:35 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Just figured it'd be nice to have one thread to keep track of how the staff is shaking out. Retained coaches noted with an asterisk. I'll try to keep it updated. If I miss any, just let me know.

Head Coach - Zac Taylor

Offensive Coordinator - Brian "not Bill" Callahan

QB - Alex Van Pelt*
Asst QB - Dan Pitcher*

RB - Jemal Singleton

WR - Bob Bicknell*

TE - James Casey

OL - Jim Turner
Asst OL - Ben Martin

--------

Defensive Coordinator - Sweet Lou Anarumo

DL - Nick Eason

LB - Tem Lukabu

DB/safeties - Robert Livingston*
DB/cornerbacks - Daronte Jones*

--------

ST - Darrin Simmons*
Asst ST - Braydon Coombs*

--------

Strenth & Conditioning - Joey Boese
Director of Coaching Operations - Doug Rosfeld

Backgrounds of incoming coaches:

Brian Callahan (OC) - Former QB coach under Jon Gruden in Oakland - Lions QB coach from '16-17 - Offensive assistant with Broncos during the Peyton era

Jemal Singleton (RB) - RB coach in Oakland with Callahan - Colts RB coach from '16-17 - had various run game related jobs with Air Force, Oklahoma St and Arkansas

James Casey (TE) - Retired in 2016 after a 7 year career, mostly with Texans under Kubiak - Immediately transitioned to coaching with the Houston Cougars, where he was TE coach in '17-18

Jim Turner (OL) - A favorite of Mike Sherman, Turner was Sherman's o-line coach at Texas A&M from 2008-11, and followed Sherman to the Dolphins from 2012-13. He then returned to Texas A&M under Jimbo Fisher

Ben Martin (Asst OL) - Was an offensive assistant with the Dolphins in 2014-15. Has also worked at small programs like Wagner, Union and Bryant (sounds like a law firm)

Lou Anarumo (DC) - Worked with Taylor in Miami, where they were both named interim coordinators in 2015. 7 years of NFL experience as a DB coach, with 6 of those years spent in Miami. Spent last season with the Giants. Last stint as a non-interim DC was at Merchant Marine Academy from 1992-1994. Served as Assistant Head Coach (as well as DB and ST coach) at Harvard from 1995-2000.

Nick Eason (DL) - 4th round pick of the Browns in 2003. Had a 10 year playing career where he also spent time with the Cardinals and Steelers (where he won a SB in 2008). As a coach, he started off as an assistant d-line coach with the Browns in 2013. He then spent 4 seasons as the Titans d-line coach (2014-17). He spent 2018 as a defensive assistant working with LB's at Austin Peay, and was just hired as d-line coach with Vanderbilt on February 13th. He backed out of that commitment to join Taylor's staff.

Tem Lukabu (LB) - Former 2 time Patriot League player of the year at Colgate, but never played in the NFL. Lukabu began his coaching career as a graduate assistant with Rutgers. He then coached LB's at Rhode Island, before returning to Rutgers to coach outside LB's from 2010-11. He had a 2 month stint as the DC and LB coach at Fordham before landing his first NFL gig in Tampa Bay. He spent his first year in Tampa as an assistant DL coach before shifting over to an assistant with LB's. He then returned to his Alma Mater (Colgate) to coach LB's. His next move was to FIU, in the same position. He spent 2016-17 as a defensive quality control coach with the 49ers, and FINALLY, he was LB coach with Mississippi State in 2018. Needless to say, this guy is well traveled. It took a lot of articles to piece together this guy's coaching history.

Joey Boese (Strength) - Another guy who worked with Taylor and Mike Sherman at Texas A&M (2008-11). Boese was most recently the strength coach at Illinois.
Doug Rosfeld (Director of Coaching Operations) - Worked with Taylor at UC, where he was Director of Player Development

need to add Mark Duffner I believe
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(03-02-2019, 09:46 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: need to add Mark Duffner I believe

Duffner is back? When did this happen? 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2019, 12:28 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Duffner is back? When did this happen? 

Earlier today. Special defensive assistant.

So glad he's not a position coach or Coordinator! lol
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2019, 12:40 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Earlier today. Special defensive assistant.

So glad he's not a position coach or Coordinator! lol

Only thing I saw was his wiki page. I trust you guys, but would love to read about why he's back. He played a big role in our last 3-4 conversion, and seeing how many of our defensive coaches have a lot of history with the 3-4, I'm starting to think we're going to see a lot of it under Taylor. 

Btw, went ahead and updated the list.  ThumbsUp

P.S. Duffner was around back when we drafted Takeo and Simmons, and he has 20 years of experience as an NFL LB coach, so I like the hire quite a bit. Definitely not interested in him as a DC though, lol. Our defense was soooo bad in 2002, and Tampa's was horrible last year.
Reply/Quote