Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cody Core???
(10-04-2017, 02:23 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I was at that game, too, and I saw their DB giving him a big cushion because he was afraid of getting beat over the top.  I don't put any stock in to the assessment of them not "putting up much of a fight", as this is professional ball and those guys are fighting for their jobs if they aren't a playoff team.  

The point is, Lafell scares no one.

Maybe you had better seats than I did and/or you recall specific plays to Core that I simply don't. I couldn't tell you what types of routes Core ran in the game because they weren't that memorable, all I remember is that Burkhead had himself a day and Russell had that nice INT on his first defensive snap.

Upon looking back at stats and highlights, Core had 4 receptions for 87 yards with a long of 31.
He had a 22 yard gain on a short route in which the DB fell down, allowing Core to have such a good gain.
I can't find anything on the other three receptions he had, including the 31 yarder.

I disagree that ever single player was still playing hard just because it's professional ball. Not every player is fighting for a job. There were some backup players in the game. Being the last game in a season neither team was going to make the playoffs, it's not crazy to think some players were just ready for the season to be over and didn't care much about the game.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I think the Bengals have always had guys sitting in backup roles who could contribute here or elsewhere.

Burkhead is a great example. He was serviceable here. We probably could have used him more. He moves to NE and they have been using him a bit each game. He isn't a worldbreaker, but he does have use.

We don't seem to use many personnel packages come game day. That is one thing I really admire about NE, they find a way to use each and every man on the 53 roster.

Erickson is a another guy to me who could help this offense. He has a knack for getting open. Not sure why we don't have some more packages with Erickson in the slot.

Kroft is a shining example. He has always had sticky hands a knack for picking up first downs. He has been stuck behind Eifert, and we make no effort to get backups in the game. Could have used him a lot more before now.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2017, 03:32 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I think the Bengals have always had guys sitting in backup roles who could contribute here or elsewhere.

Burkhead is a great example. He was serviceable here. We probably could have used him more. He moves to NE and they have been using him a bit each game. He isn't a worldbreaker, but he does have use.

We don't seem to use many personnel packages come game day. That is one thing I really admire about NE, they find a way to use each and every man on the 53 roster.

Erickson is a another guy to me who could help this offense. He has a knack for getting open. Not sure why we don't have some more packages with Erickson in the slot.

Kroft is a shining example. He has always had sticky hands a knack for picking up first downs. He has been stuck behind Eifert, and we make no effort to get backups in the game. Could have used him a lot more before now.

It's sad that the second WR on the team (LaFell) is 5th in receiving yards on the team behind Green, Bernard, Kroft, and Mixon.
It's also sad that the second-round pick last year has the 8th most receiving yards on the team.
The only WR with 100+ yards through four games is AJ Green.
AJ Green is on pace for 1200+ yards by season's end while every other WR is on pace for less than 400 yards. That's pathetic.

The Bengals have receivers that need (much) more time to get enough separation than they are actually getting, and therefore they have all been unproductive. That's a recipe for a disastrous pass game.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-04-2017, 02:52 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Maybe you had better seats than I did and/or you recall specific plays to Core that I simply don't. I couldn't tell you what types of routes Core ran in the game because they weren't that memorable, all I remember is that Burkhead had himself a day and Russell had that nice INT on his first defensive snap.

Upon looking back at stats and highlights, Core had 4 receptions for 87 yards with a long of 31.
He had a 22 yard gain on a short route in which the DB fell down, allowing Core to have such a good gain.
I can't find anything on the other three receptions he had, including the 31 yarder.

I disagree that ever single player was still playing hard just because it's professional ball. Not every player is fighting for a job. There were some backup players in the game. Being the last game in a season neither team was going to make the playoffs, it's not crazy to think some players were just ready for the season to be over and didn't care much about the game.

Well, we can go back and forth as to whether or not the Ravens "cared" last year, but Core has some serious wheels and size as well.  He can get open and provides a vertical threat defenses have to account for.  I think it would not only help the rushing attack but AJ Green as well.  
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2017, 12:40 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Re-read what he wrote again. The 90% was of the amount of time he was NOT open. Not on how many offensive snaps Core has taken.

Both are a bunch of crap, so it doesn't really matter which point he was trying to make...
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2017, 04:33 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Well, we can go back and forth as to whether or not the Ravens "cared" last year, but Core has some serious wheels and size as well.  He can get open and provides a vertical threat defenses have to account for.  I think it would not only help the rushing attack but AJ Green as well.  

The Bengals probably shouldn't be giving LaFell 90% of the offensive snaps. That's for sure. Whichever receiver(s) take some of those snaps, I hope they produce more than LaFell has.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-04-2017, 01:09 PM)Whatever Wrote: Yup.  Core can't separate, and he can't make contested catches, which seriously limits what you can do with him.

There can be other reasons, too.  He may not be picking up the new playbook quickly enough.  If he runs the wrong route, it's not apparent to us if the ball doesn't come his way, but the coaches know and will cut his snaps accordingly.

He can't?  But Lafell can?  I think you have not been watching very closely...
Reply/Quote
Unless core can somehow manage to start running a 2.5 second 40 there is no place for him with this o line. And no, he is not better than lafell
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2017, 04:35 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Both are a bunch of crap, so it doesn't really matter which point he was trying to make...

How so? Core so far has only really gotten open on busted coverage. He's not creating space with route running or using his body to shield DBs from the ball. He's big but plays small. 
There's a reason they only have him run deep when he's on the field. It's the only way they trust him potentially getting open. 
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2017, 02:23 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I was at that game, too, and I saw their DB giving him a big cushion because he was afraid of getting beat over the top.  I don't put any stock in to the assessment of them not "putting up much of a fight", as this is professional ball and those guys are fighting for their jobs if they aren't a playoff team.  

The point is, Lafell scares no one.

Lafell has been open a ton. Andy has been staring down his primary receiver mostly and not reading it. An example of this would be when Dalton threw an interception to triple coverage to the ravens In the endzone when lafell was open on the slant for a td. This is just one example btw, he has been open a lot.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2017, 04:42 PM)TheUberHuber Wrote: Lafell has been open a ton. Andy has been staring down his primary receiver mostly and not reading it. An example of this would be when Dalton threw an interception to triple coverage to the ravens In the endzone when lafell was open on the slant for a td. This is just one example btw, he has been open a lot.

Guess PFF and you see it differently...Lafell was open once that I saw and even when he makes a reception, there is zero YAC because he doesn't gain separation.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2017, 04:42 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: How so? Core so far has only really gotten open on busted coverage. He's not creating space with route running or using his body to shield DBs from the ball. He's big but plays small. 
There's a reason they only have him run deep when he's on the field. It's the only way they trust him potentially getting open. 

Completely disagree.  He showed a lot in limited action last year.  There were lots of reports in camp about the coaches raving about him coming in to the year...and he sits in favor of a #2 that should be a #3 or #4.  

We know what we have in Lafell.  I would like to see Core get more of an opportunity now while Ross is out. 
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2017, 05:21 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Completely disagree.  He showed a lot in limited action last year.  There were lots of reports in camp about the coaches raving about him coming in to the year...and he sits in favor of a #2 that should be a #3 or #4.  

We know what we have in Lafell.  I would like to see Core get more of an opportunity now while Ross is out. 

Same coaches who told us Armon Binns was like Larry Fitz in practice?  :hooked:
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2017, 05:21 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Completely disagree.  He showed a lot in limited action last year.  There were lots of reports in camp about the coaches raving about him coming in to the year...and he sits in favor of a #2 that should be a #3 or #4.  

We'll see Core if/when the playoffs are out of reach. Until then, they'll stick with the veterans.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-04-2017, 08:41 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Last year, with injuries to AJ Green, Gio Bernard, and Tyler Eifert, the Bengals were left with a dearth of weapons on the offensive side of the ball.

We got a few glimpses of what Core could do toward the end of the season.  Coming in to this season, during spring practices, all we heard was his speed, ability to separate, and his outstanding work ethic.  He was a little nicked up at the midpoint of the preseason, but had three receptions for 39 yards in two games.

Fast forward to the regular season.  0 catches.  Yet, Brandon Lafell is trotted out there every game for the majority of snaps, despite a serious inability to generate separation.  I don't mean to dog Lafell...he is a fine #3 (or, our new "Sanu", with Tyler Boyd) but no one is generating vertical speed opposite AJ Green.  This was a huge problem last year and Core is not getting his opportunities now.  

Is he being punished for dropping the long pass against the Ravens in week 1?  Is he being punished because Dalton overthrew him down the sidelines in the same game?  At least he was open on both of those plays.  

I haven't seen his name on any injury report and I saw him almost every time be the first one down the field on punt coverage.  

Anyone know why this guy isn't getting more snaps?  With Ross still out, now is his chance to show what he can do.

Definately been asking the same question. As Ocho said chemistry with Dalton seems to be an issue.

How do you gain chemistry? Get more snaps playing together. Core needs to be out on the field with Ross out i agree.

Need that speed opposite Green, it will only help to open the run game as well. I like Lafell but we need to use a WR
that like you said can get seperation. Both Lafell and Boyd are not these type of Receivers, they are solid route runners
with good hands but they are not going to frighten anyone.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2017, 05:19 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Guess PFF and you see it differently...Lafell was open once that I saw and even when he makes a reception, there is zero YAC because he doesn't gain separation.

Maybe so. Are they perfect? Are they hiring? 

And if you only saw him open once (let me guess, it was the time romo pointed it out to you) You don't watch close enough.

Re watch the ravens int in the endzone and tell me I was wrong about lafell being open for a td...
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2017, 05:23 PM)ochocincos Wrote: We'll see Core if/when the playoffs are out of reach. Until then, they'll stick with the veterans.

That's why its exciting to see what we have with Wjax, Lawson and Mixon....Marv generally is super conservative to a fault with blooding these young guys so the fact these 3 are seeing so much action means even Marv cannot ignore them.

Whilst Core has flashed some unless he's ripping the jersey of LaFell's back he will see limited time in the short term...unless we get well behind a team and have to chase a game
Reply/Quote
Malone should also be in this discussion. Having some speed out there will only help the Offense.
Reply/Quote
It's the coaching philosophy..get the ball to AJ at any cost even if it means losing.. 
I don't know if it's that extreme, but it ain't far off. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(10-04-2017, 03:40 PM)ochocincos Wrote:
It's sad that the second WR on the team (LaFell) is 5th in receiving yards on the team behind Green, Bernard, Kroft, and Mixon.

It's also sad that the second-round pick last year has the 8th most receiving yards on the team.
The only WR with 100+ yards through four games is AJ Green.
AJ Green is on pace for 1200+ yards by season's end while every other WR is on pace for less than 400 yards. That's pathetic.

The Bengals have receivers that need (much) more time to get enough separation than they are actually getting, and therefore they have all been unproductive. That's a recipe for a disastrous pass game.

Tells me we are primarily working one half of the field...
Reply/Quote