Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cody Core???
(10-04-2017, 04:37 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: He can't?  But Lafell can?  I think you have not been watching very closely...

LaFell is a lot better with contested catches than Core.  He was also way more productive last year than Core.  Normally, that wouldn't be a great argument, but when the crux of the discussion is that Core should get more opportunities based on one game last year, it's fair to point out that LaFell outperformed him by a ridiculously wide margin over the course of 16 games.  

For all the minicamp hype for Core, he still didn't produce in preseason and he has gone 4 games without a catch.  It's eerily similar to the annual Jake Kumerow feel good stories that made him out to the second coming of Jerry Rice.  The staff has so little faith in him that they took WR's in the 1st and 4th, as well as resigning LaFell.

In Core's situation, it's not like he's not gotten opportunities, like Malone.  He's gotten plays and produced nothing.  If he'd actually done something with his limited PT, I'd be on board with giving him more snaps, but he's done Jack squat.  Boyd's done more.  Erickson has done more.  Malone hasn't even gotten an opportunity.  If we're talking giving one of the youngsters more snaps, the last guy it should be is Core.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2017, 05:22 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Same coaches who told us Armon Binns was like Larry Fitz in practice?  :hooked:

No, but the same coaches that saw Core, without AJ Green, go 4 for 86 yards against the Ravens last year.  
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2017, 05:26 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Definately been asking the same question. As Ocho said chemistry with Dalton seems to be an issue.

How do you gain chemistry? Get more snaps playing together. Core needs to be out on the field with Ross out i agree.

Need that speed opposite Green, it will only help to open the run game as well. I like Lafell but we need to use a WR
that like you said can get seperation. Both Lafell and Boyd are not these type of Receivers, they are solid route runners
with good hands but they are not going to frighten anyone.

With all due respect, exactly what chemistry have we seen between Lafell and Dalton?  He sure has had enough snaps...

My hope is to get Lafell and Boyd rotating in the slot and Core to get more time at X, and share that with Ross when he is healthy.  

Why we wait to develop these guys is beyond me.  The only logical explanation is Lafell is being paid more and that pisses me off to no end.  
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2017, 07:06 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Tells me we are primarily working one half of the field...

Actually, only a fourth, because there has been nothing vertical either.  Pretty much one side, and not deep.  This is the same QB that led the league in passes completed over 20 yards for a while in 2015.  Hue was the OC, and we have Marvin and Sanu.  
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2017, 10:48 PM)Whatever Wrote: LaFell is a lot better with contested catches than Core.  He was also way more productive last year than Core.  Normally, that wouldn't be a great argument, but when the crux of the discussion is that Core should get more opportunities based on one game last year, it's fair to point out that LaFell outperformed him by a ridiculously wide margin over the course of 16 games.  

For all the minicamp hype for Core, he still didn't produce in preseason and he has gone 4 games without a catch.  It's eerily similar to the annual Jake Kumerow feel good stories that made him out to the second coming of Jerry Rice.  The staff has so little faith in him that they took WR's in the 1st and 4th, as well as resigning LaFell.

In Core's situation, it's not like he's not gotten opportunities, like Malone.  He's gotten plays and produced nothing.  If he'd actually done something with his limited PT, I'd be on board with giving him more snaps, but he's done Jack squat.  Boyd's done more.  Erickson has done more.  Malone hasn't even gotten an opportunity.  If we're talking giving one of the youngsters more snaps, the last guy it should be is Core.

He's gotten opportunities?  Like the two deep passes in the opener (where he was open).  He dropped the one (think he was interfered with, but would never get that call) but he should have still had it, and Andy overshot him on the other.  He was open in both.  I don't remember seeing many snaps since that game.

It is Lafell that has gotten LOTS of opportunities and done very little with it.  But, hey, folks here remember a couple plays (our of over 100 snaps) where he was open so lets keep trotting his slow ass out there and not change anything.  Really seems to be working. 
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2017, 05:28 PM)TheUberHuber Wrote: Maybe so. Are they perfect? Are they hiring? 

And if you only saw him open once (let me guess, it was the time romo pointed it out to you) You don't watch close enough.

Re watch the ravens int in the endzone and tell me I was wrong about lafell being open for a td...

Wasn't it Lafell he was trying to get the ball to even though he was double covered on the play?  Must have been someone else who was open on the slant.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(10-05-2017, 08:30 AM)McC Wrote: Wasn't it Lafell he was trying to get the ball to even though he was double covered on the play?  Must have been someone else who was open on the slant.

It was Lafell in the end zone.  There were so many INTs that game, he is probably talking about a different one.  
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2017, 07:06 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Tells me we are primarily working one half of the field...

Or most of the other WRs besides AJ Green aren't getting open very much at all. Combine this with the fact Dalton trusts AJ Green can get open and has that chemistry with him and it could explain why Green has more than triple the receiving yards of every other WR on the team.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-05-2017, 08:19 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: No, but the same coaches that saw Core, without AJ Green, go 4 for 86 yards against the Ravens last year.  

Binns had a 3 for 63 and a TD against Washington.

Yawn.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2017, 08:19 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: No, but the same coaches that saw Core, without AJ Green, go 4 for 86 yards against the Ravens last year.  

He also had a game with about 14 targets (Ridiculous) and only managed to get 39 yards. He had under 5 yards per catch lol
Reply/Quote
Lafell is a better fit for the current offense. Lafell is an excellent blocker. Can get a contested catch more effectively knows how to adjust to hot routes.
Reply/Quote
I'd be careful what I wished for regarding Core. Same with Erickson. Same with Malone. Ross might end up being the Real Deal if he gets his health sorted out. Your mileage may vary, and I'm not going to argue with you, but I'm just sayin'.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2017, 08:28 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: He's gotten opportunities?  Like the two deep passes in the opener (where he was open).  He dropped the one (think he was interfered with, but would never get that call) but he should have still had it, and Andy overshot him on the other.  He was open in both.  I don't remember seeing many snaps since that game.

It is Lafell that has gotten LOTS of opportunities and done very little with it.  But, hey, folks here remember a couple plays (our of over 100 snaps) where he was open so lets keep trotting his slow ass out there and not change anything.  Really seems to be working. 

You understand that the receiver affects the throw, right?  A big part of the reason you see so many underthrown deep balls to AJ is that Dalton has confidence in his ability to make a play on the ball in a jump ball situation.  Because of that, he errs on throwing it shorter to give AJ a shot at coming down with it.  Core is the opposite.  He's proven he can't make contested catch.  So that dictates that you err on throwing it away from the defender, in this case long, and hoping he can get there.

You can argue that some are trying to make exceptions out of rules with LaFell, but aren't you doing the same with Core?
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2017, 12:01 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Binns had a 3 for 63 and a TD against Washington.

Yawn.

Who else was on the field...offensive weapon, wise?  
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2017, 12:47 PM)eoxyod Wrote: He also had a game with about 14 targets (Ridiculous) and only managed to get 39 yards. He had under 5 yards per catch lol

Yep, he did catch a fair share of those balls, and he showed some rookie mistakes....didn't come back for a ball and had it knocked away.  But he did show he learned something.  He came back and looked much better the following week.  And in his first real NFL action without knowing he was starting until right before the game, I might just give him a pass for his sub-par performance against the Texans.  

It amazes me how people don't see it when they were going crazy for Burkhead who basically did the same thing, but as a RB.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2017, 04:37 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Who else was on the field...offensive weapon, wise?  

AJ Green, Jermaine Gresham, Andrew Hawkins, BenJarvus Green-Ellis.
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2012092304/2012/REG3/bengals@redskins#menu=gameinfo%7CcontentId%3A0ap1000000065418&tab=analyze&analyze=boxscore

Meanwhile, in Core's 4 reception, 82 yard game, the offensive weapons were....Brandon LaFell, Tyler Boyd, Rex Burkhead, CJ Uzomah.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-05-2017, 04:37 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Who else was on the field...offensive weapon, wise?  

Does that make Core magically catch better in the preseason? No.
Does it make Core magically run better routes? No. 

Why are you stuck on defending him?
You are using a 4 - 83 - 0 game as a reason he should be a big factor or something. 
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2017, 01:28 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Lafell is a better fit for the current offense. Lafell is an excellent blocker. Can get a contested catch more effectively knows how to adjust to hot routes.

Lafell has been a garbage blocker.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2017, 04:58 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Does that make Core magically catch better in the preseason? No.
Does it make Core magically run better routes? No. 

Why are you stuck on defending him?
You are using a 4 - 83 - 0 game as a reason he should be a big factor or something. 

How about the fact that he runs 23 MPH (GPS measured) with him uniform on?  Faster than AJ Green and the fastest time registered on the Bengals?  And he is 6'3" and 210lbs?  

I am not "defending him".  I am suggesting we see more of him over the incredibly average Brandon Lafell.  You know, Brandon Lafell, who has played a ton of snaps and four games and has....drumroll.... 10 catches for 76 yards.  

Wow.  What a #2.  I see why you are defending him.  
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2017, 04:54 PM)ochocincos Wrote: AJ Green, Jermaine Gresham, Andrew Hawkins, BenJarvus Green-Ellis.
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2012092304/2012/REG3/bengals@redskins#menu=gameinfo%7CcontentId%3A0ap1000000065418&tab=analyze&analyze=boxscore

Meanwhile, in Core's 4 reception, 82 yard game, the offensive weapons were....Brandon LaFell, Tyler Boyd, Rex Burkhead, CJ Uzomah.

Thanks, Ocho...I would venture to say that Binns had a bit better talent on the field with him to draw coverage away from him.  That is the whole point I am trying to make.  Teams are stuffing our rush attack.  Teams are doubling AJ Green every time.  The TEs have been dropping like flies.  The Bengals need to do more with Gio, Mixon, and Core as receivers to take advantage of what defenses are giving them.  
Reply/Quote