Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Cody Ford signs with the Bengals
If they do intend to let him try out for RT, then I would assume we will still bring in a guard or 2 in the coming weeks before the draft. Perhaps we intend on drafting some IOL in the mid rounds?
It's easy to see the world in black and white. Grey? I don't know what to do with grey.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2023, 10:21 AM)BengalBob Wrote: They didn't sign him to play guard.

I just read where he will be competing for the starting right tackle spot.

May the best man win!!!

(03-17-2023, 11:07 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Competition breeds improvement. Best man plays. If he wants to play, he'll step up his game. If he doesn't, he won't make the 53.

I have a unique perspective here knowing a lot about the Bengals and Sooners. Ford is versatile and as good as many of our backups. He’s mean as hell and would win the OL glass eating contest. But it’s going to be hard to convince me that Orlando didn’t influence the decision to bring him here.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 09:29 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: This signing does nothing for me. Even as a backup I can't be enthused about this. I guess he's still young 

- - - - - - -
As a side note, if true... imagine trying to trade up for Cody Ford, fail to do so, so you trade down and draft Drew Sample instead. That is almost impressive levels of determination to throw away that second round pick. Lol

Aaaaaaaand here it is. Pollack shows his worth and turns this kid into a pro-bowl lineman, or both of them can GTFO! 

Reply/Quote
it's not a ringing endorsement that the bengals wanted to draft this guy

their track record with o-linemen is putrid. Oh, and he isnt good. Which makes sense that the bengals wanted him
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2023, 03:16 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: it's not a ringing endorsement that the bengals wanted to draft this guy

their track record with o-linemen is putrid. Oh, and he isnt good. Which makes sense that the bengals wanted him

Facepalm
Reply/Quote
I gotta good feeling about this one. I don't know why but I do
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2023, 10:53 PM)bonesaw Wrote: I gotta good feeling about this one.  I don't know why but I do

Hey, dude was good in college and he plays mean and he might fit well in the Gap scheme we run.

He has just been bad in the pros so far, hope he turns around his career here.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2023, 02:44 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Hey, dude was good in college and he plays mean and he might fit well in the Gap scheme we run.

He plays mean and reportedly has a huge chip on his shoulder now. I'm not counting him out of anything
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2023, 03:16 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: it's not a ringing endorsement that the bengals wanted to draft this guy

In 2018 he lost 15lbs to move to RT and was 1st team All Big 12. Got a 6.70 grade (Year 1 starter) on nfl.com. He put some good stuff on tape but can he play RT in the NFL?...

6'4" and 34" arms.

He was a guy that they said would probably be a better fit at G but that obviously wasn't the case. All of Oklahoma's 2018 games are on youtube. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
That contract tells me he is no shoe-in to make the 53 man roster. Then again, only 5 of our 12 lineman are.

Dead locks: Brown, Volson,, Karras, Cappa, Carman
Dead lock unless traded: J. Williams
Probably starts on PUP: Collins

Scharping is OG3 and very likely on the 53. He'd have to get displaced by 2 guys. Draft pick + have one of Ford/Adeniji/Smith/Hill/Brown be preferred at guard. Not impossible, but since all those guys besides Ford were here last year, if preferred them a G to Scharping, why'd we re-sign him? And Fird wants to play OT.

T. Hill/Brown. Competing for C#2. Also the ability to play G helpful. Could get displaced by a draft pick.

Adeniji/Ford/Smith. All likely competing for the 4th and final OT slot while Collins is on PUP. If one could be a passable option at guard (OG4) that would be a boost. If both Jonah & Collins get rostered, OG4 is the only spot left, and I could see all 3 getting cut. Or displaced by a draft pick.

If I had to guess at the moment:

Starters: Brown, Volson, Karras, Cappa, Jonah
Reserves: Carman, Ford, T. Hill, Scharping, Adeniji
PUP: Collins
Cut: Smith, Brown
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2023, 02:44 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Hey, dude was good in college and he plays mean and he might fit well in the Gap scheme we run.

It's funny to see people say, "fit in the gap scheme we run."

Just last year, it was mix of inside/outside zone.

Two years ago when Pollack was brought back, all the talk was about outside zone.

The shift wasn't surprising given the guys they have, but you almost wish they would have just gone with gap scheme to begin with rather than try to be something they're not.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-21-2023, 05:34 PM)ochocincos Wrote: It's funny to see people say, "fit in the gap scheme we run."

Two years ago when Pollack was brought back, all the talk was about outside zone.

The shift wasn't surprising given the guys they have, but you almost wish they would have just gone with gap scheme to begin with rather than try to be something they're not.

True, and remember some of us were saying we should be running Power Gap even back when Turner was disgracing us by his presence. 
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2023, 05:34 PM)ochocincos Wrote: It's funny to see people say, "fit in the gap scheme we run."

I think there's more to it than just the Bengals the entire league ran more power/gap in 2022 including teams like the 49ers and Browns. The NFL has be drafting to combat the outside zones for 5 or 6 years now getting smaller faster on the DL and at LB so I wouldn't be surprised to see more OC attack the size of defenses more in 2023.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote