Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cody core
Just wondering since James Wright is out it could be the first big game for Cody core he's number 3 on depth chart now.
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2016, 06:20 PM)Jpoore Wrote: Just wondering since  James Wright is out it could be the first big game for Cody core he's number 3 on depth chart now.

Nice thread JP, this guy has the speed and size that we have been missing. Core could be great and he is learning
to run good routes which was his problem in college. Tobin and Urban are 2 dudes we need to keep around.
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2016, 11:31 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Nice thread JP, this guy has the speed and size that we have been missing. Core could be great and he is learning
to run good routes which was his problem in college. Tobin and Urban are 2 dudes we need to keep around.
I think he could be better than Jones. He looked good from all accounts and I think they may feature him a lot in this game  bc well be up a lot and they may want to see how much he's progressed. Tobin is the main reason of our late success imo
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2016, 11:51 PM)Jpoore Wrote: I think he could be better than Jones. He looked good from all accounts and I think they may feature him a lot in this game  bc well be up a lot and they may want to see how much he's progressed. Tobin is the main reason of our late success imo

If only this team could remember how to evaluate and draft and develop offensive and defensive linemen. Hunt, Og, Fisher (maybe he's ok-don't really know yet), Still, Clarke, Bodine - None of these guys have lived up to expectations or draft position.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-09-2016, 11:51 PM)Jpoore Wrote: I think he could be better than Jones. He looked good from all accounts and I think they may feature him a lot in this game  bc well be up a lot and they may want to see how much he's progressed. Tobin is the main reason of our late success imo

Core has better size than MLJ and he has the same speed. Maybe not the hands and route running yet.

He could be special like MLJ though, just what we need opposite of Green. Boyd is a great Slot.

Lafell sure has been a great buffer. I really like Lafell. Too bad the coaches suck. Urban excluded.

Urban does well with receivers.
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2016, 12:22 AM)BengalChris Wrote: If only this team could remember how to evaluate and draft and develop offensive and defensive linemen. Hunt, Og, Fisher (maybe he's ok-don't really know yet), Still, Clarke, Bodine - None of these guys have lived up to expectations or draft position.

Coaching is spotted once again by a smart one.
Reply/Quote
From what I understand,
The weather Sunday will
Make this a rushing contest....snow, snow, and more
Snow
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2016, 01:21 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: From what I understand,
The weather Sunday will
Make this a rushing contest....snow, snow, and more
Snow

Whitworth needs to set the mentality cause we know PA never will..
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2016, 12:22 AM)BengalChris Wrote: If only this team could remember how to evaluate and draft and develop offensive and defensive linemen. Hunt, Og, Fisher (maybe he's ok-don't really know yet), Still, Clarke, Bodine - None of these guys have lived up to expectations or draft position.

yeah but then the guys we don't expect outdo draft expectation Atkins, probably Billings, maybe westerman I like what I'm hearing 
Reply/Quote
Back to Core: I think it was Core that ran the completely wrong direction and ran right in to the RB on a sweep. Not to make excuses for Marv, but it is possible that Core is struggling to pick up the playbook. On the other hand, this would be a situation where I would have a smalller set of plays for Core where I utilize his speed and stretch the defense. And I would have been doing it from week 2
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2016, 09:02 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Back to Core:  I think it was Core that ran the completely wrong direction and ran right in to the RB on a sweep. Not to make excuses for Marv, but it is possible that Core is struggling to pick up the playbook.  On the other hand, this would be a situation where I would have a smalller set of plays for Core where I utilize his speed and stretch the defense.  And I would have been doing it from week 2

I agree with he should have been ahead of Wright for sure and got more playing time. That said in his interview after the game he said on the play in question  they audibled to the run with burkhead, but he thought it was still the sweep. I think it was a lack of concentration. Probably didn't hear the audible. 
Reply/Quote
There is no reason that Core cannot be used regularly as a deep threat in this offense.

Playbook, intelligence, whatever...

Exhibit A:

[Image: th?id=OIP.Md106abdd477c178ac53914e252e40...=231&h=157]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2016, 09:02 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Back to Core:  I think it was Core that ran the completely wrong direction and ran right in to the RB on a sweep. Not to make excuses for Marv, but it is possible that Core is struggling to pick up the playbook.  On the other hand, this would be a situation where I would have a smalller set of plays for Core where I utilize his speed and stretch the defense.  And I would have been doing it from week 2

I doubt it has anything to do with his understanding of the playbook, rather more about his draft position.  For whatever reasons Marvin just doesn't play lower round draft picks early.  Even if they impress during the preseason.  On the other hand, draft choices selected in the top 2 rounds generally seem worthy of playing time in Marv's eyes.

The playbook is the same for Boyd as it is for Core.  Boyd's been playing since day 1.  Doubt his IQ is 12 weeks better than Core's, probably more about Core's draft position being 4 or 5 positions lower Boyd (same happened with MLJ).  Every player needs playing time to get comfortable.  I'm sure Boyd made quite a few mistakes in his first few games.  All of which I doubt had anything to do with the playbook, rather more about on-field recognition.  Core should be given the same opportunity to learn on the job and shouldn't be perceived as not understanding the playbook.  Just my opinion and that's not worth much! Nervous
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2016, 10:12 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: There is no reason that Core cannot be used regularly as a deep threat in this offense.

Playbook, intelligence, whatever...

Exhibit A:

[Image: th?id=OIP.Md106abdd477c178ac53914e252e40...=231&h=157]

I liken the Core situation to Jerome Simpson. The man was drafted in 2008, and didn't see the field until the final games of 2010, and he only saw the field then because of injuries to TO and Chad. Marvin, for some reason I'll never understand, couldn't figure out how to put Simpson on the field. When asked about it at a press conference, Marvin said responded with something like, "what do you want me to do, bench Chad?"..... SERIOUSLY!? Ever heard of rotating? If nothing else, the second round draft pick should have seen the field at least a few times a game from 2008 onward. There was no reason to have Simpson rotting on the bench for that long. None. I was not the least bit surprised he lit up the chargers in his debut. And I was not the least bit surprised to see Core reel in a long pass. He needs to see the field more, and sadly it took injuries for it to happen but... That's our coach  Whatever
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2016, 10:53 AM)Pat5775 Wrote: I liken the Core situation to Jerome Simpson. The man was drafted in 2008, and didn't see the field until the final games of 2010, and he only saw the field then because of injuries to TO and Chad. Marvin, for some reason I'll never understand, couldn't figure out how to put Simpson on the field. When asked about it at a press conference, Marvin said responded with something like, "what do you want me to do, bench Chad?"..... SERIOUSLY!? Ever heard of rotating? If nothing else, the second round draft pick should have seen the field at least a few times a game from 2008 onward. There was no reason to have Simpson rotting on the bench for that long. None. I was not the least bit surprised he lit up the chargers in his debut. And I was not the least bit surprised to see Core reel in a long pass. He needs to see the field more, and sadly it took injuries for it to happen but... That's our coach  Whatever
See, what the flaw Marvin pointed out is exactly what is needed. 

He knows it.

Yet it took an injury for a speed receiver to see the field.

That's just plain stubbornness IMO.

See the problem.  Address it.

Yet Wright was the one seeing the field because of experience. 

Don't get me wrong. Wright has made a few plays.

But Marvin should know that he is not a field stretcher by any means.

Oh well. The O-line not being able to conconsistently block and established any kind of running game is just as important.

Yet here we are.
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2016, 10:40 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: I doubt it has anything to do with his understanding of the playbook, rather more about his draft position.  For whatever reasons Marvin just doesn't play lower round draft picks early.  Even if they impress during the preseason.  On the other hand, draft choices selected in the top 2 rounds generally seem worthy of playing time in Marv's eyes.

The playbook is the same for Boyd as it is for Core.  Boyd's been playing since day 1.  Doubt his IQ is 12 weeks better than Core's, probably more about Core's draft position being 4 or 5 positions lower Boyd (same happened with MLJ).  Every player needs playing time to get comfortable.  I'm sure Boyd made quite a few mistakes in his first few games.  All of which I doubt had anything to do with the playbook, rather more about on-field recognition.  Core should be given the same opportunity to learn on the job and shouldn't be perceived as not understanding the playbook.  Just my opinion and that's not worth much! Nervous

(12-10-2016, 10:53 AM)Pat5775 Wrote: I liken the Core situation to Jerome Simpson. The man was drafted in 2008, and didn't see the field until the final games of 2010, and he only saw the field then because of injuries to TO and Chad. Marvin, for some reason I'll never understand, couldn't figure out how to put Simpson on the field. When asked about it at a press conference, Marvin said responded with something like, "what do you want me to do, bench Chad?"..... SERIOUSLY!? Ever heard of rotating? If nothing else, the second round draft pick should have seen the field at least a few times a game from 2008 onward. There was no reason to have Simpson rotting on the bench for that long. None. I was not the least bit surprised he lit up the chargers in his debut. And I was not the least bit surprised to see Core reel in a long pass. He needs to see the field more, and sadly it took injuries for it to happen but... That's our coach  Whatever

(12-10-2016, 12:13 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: See, what the flaw Marvin pointed out is exactly what is needed. 

He knows it.

Yet it took an injury for a speed receiver to see the field.

That's just plain stubbornness IMO.

See the problem.  Address it.

Yet Wright was the one seeing the field because of experience. 

Don't get me wrong. Wright has made a few plays.

But Marvin should know that he is not a field stretcher by any means.

Oh well. The O-line not being able to conconsistently block and established any kind of running game is just as important.

Yet here we are.

You guys nailed it.

Marv is frustrating as hell. It is not complicated. You play the players that play well. Who cares where they are drafted.

Burfict went undrafted, Brady was a late round pick, Housh was a late round pick etc.

Sucks when an injury happens you are almost happy cause you have been calling for the guy behind him to get some playing time...
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2016, 03:14 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: You guys nailed it.

Marv is frustrating as hell. It is not complicated. You play the players that play well. Who cares where they are drafted.

Burfict went undrafted, Brady was a late round pick, Housh was a late round pick etc.

Sucks when an injury happens you are almost happy cause you have been calling for the guy behind him to get some playing time...

Another factor is limited opportunity, even during the weekly practices and game prep. Thanks to the CBA, only one weekly session is with full 'pads on' contact, and that is strictly for the starters and immediate known backups. Core, until the recent injuries to Green and Wright, was most likely not in on many (if any) snaps. Not to defend Marvin, but he just can't give everyone on the roster the amount of time they actually need for their development, at least during the season.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2016, 03:23 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: Another factor is limited opportunity, even during the weekly practices and game prep. Thanks to the CBA, only one weekly session is with full 'pads on' contact, and that is strictly for the starters and immediate known backups. Core, until the recent injuries to Green and Wright, was most likely not in on many (if any) snaps. Not to defend Marvin, but he just can't give everyone on the roster the amount of time they actually need for their development, at least during the season.
That's all fine and I understand the limitations.

However when Marvin speaks candidly about what's missing and keys in on Marvin Jones's downfield speed abilities...  you'd hope that Core would have gotten more looks/opportunities.

Especially earlier on when Eifert was out.

That is where I grade Lewis a big fat F.

Quote from Paul Daugherty article:

Offensively, “the quarterback gets hit too much. We win the Baltimore game if (Ravens defenders) aren’t around him so much,” Lewis said the offense misses the downfield speed of Marvin Jones.
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2016, 04:50 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: That's all fine and I understand the limitations.

However when Marvin speaks candidly about what's missing and keys in on Marvin Jones's downfield speed abilities...  you'd hope that Core would have gotten more looks/opportunities.

Offensively, “the quarterback gets hit too much. We win the Baltimore game if (Ravens defenders) aren’t around him so much,” Lewis said the offense misses the downfield speed of Marvin Jones.

I'm with you on grading Marvin. Also I wonder how much Urban plays into Core's "development", regarding how much attention has been given to Wright and Erickson over Core. IF Core represents the speed that Marvin "misses", what has kept Core off the field for so long?

Much of what Marvin (and Paul Alexander) is saying now seems so disingenuous. Maybe they'll have it figured out by January....when they'll have more time ....
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2016, 04:50 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: That's all fine and I understand the limitations.

Couldn't of said it any better.
Reply/Quote