Add: Flavoring
Roast: Light
Roast: Medium
Roast: Dark
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coffee
Coffee drinkers, what's you choice? I tried to keep it broad in the choices, you can get into the details in a post.

Personally, I like a good medium roast, usually single origin, done through a drip (not auto-drip, but pour over with some steep time) and nothing else in it.
Reply/Quote
French Press/Dark roast - strong! Raw sugar and heavy cream to knock off the edge. This has been my preference since the mid-80's.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2015, 05:30 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: French Press/Dark roast - strong! Raw sugar and heavy cream to knock off the edge. This has been my preference since the mid-80's.

I used to like a dark roast until my eyes were opened up to the flavor of the origin. I like a medium to what is called "high". It's a good balance on the bitterness and acidity, and you can still taste the bean itself. Plus, less caffeine in dark roasts.

I do steep my pour over like it was a French press, though. I have what's called an "immersion" brewer. Essentially, I pour it all together just like you do in a press, let it set for the same amount of time, then release the valve over my mug and bam! Coffee. I found a fondness for it because it is the same strength as French but with a much lower likelihood of grounds.
Reply/Quote
I drank it black for many many year, but now I add cream and light flavoring.

I like a Kona. Not really what I would call a dark roast. Seems to have good flavor without being bitter.
Reply/Quote
BTW I drink too much coffee. Usually at least 40 ozs and sometimes more.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2015, 07:47 PM)fredtoast Wrote: BTW I drink too much coffee.  Usually at least 40 ozs and sometimes more.

40 oz per month really isn't all that much.  40 oz per sitting might be a bit extreme though.  

Time frames matter.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Gevalia...medium roast...drip...black. Easily my preference. Occasionally I'll put some cream and caramel in there, but black suits me just fine.

Side note: I was raised in the Mormon church, where coffee is a no-no, so I did not even taste it until I was 25 or so.
LFG  

Reply/Quote
(11-02-2015, 07:58 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: Side note: I was raised in the Mormon church, where coffee is a no-no, so I did not even taste it until I was 25 or so.

Damn.  Learn something every day.  Definitely explains some things.

I've worked with a couple of larger Mormon-run companies in the past.  Always a bit of a shock to see their beverage selection when visiting their offices.  Not a soda to be found.
Reply/Quote
The morning wake up is just medium roast, drip, black. Usually 2 nice mugs, unless I'm pressed for time.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2015, 07:47 PM)fredtoast Wrote: BTW I drink too much coffee. Usually at least 40 ozs and sometimes more.

I do about a liter a day. But I split that between the morning and afternoon. I have a 3 pm coffee time.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2015, 07:54 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: 40 oz per month really isn't all that much.  40 oz per sitting might be a bit extreme though.  

Time frames matter.

I drink about 20 onces in the morning and then do another 20 ounces in enema form to cure my cancer.

http://www.treating-cancer-alternatively.com/Coffee-enemas.html

Coffee enemas work exceedingly well in detoxifying the liver by the removal of body waste thereby beginning the process of reversing cancer. 

Coffee enemas work exceedingly well to overcome the inflammatory aches and pains of arthritis, cancer, and other painful body degenerations.

Please don't tell Brad.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2015, 05:38 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I used to like a dark roast until my eyes were opened up to the flavor of the origin. I like a medium to what is called "high". It's a good balance on the bitterness and acidity, and you can still taste the bean itself. Plus, less caffeine in dark roasts.

I do steep my pour over like it was a French press, though. I have what's called an "immersion" brewer. Essentially, I pour it all together just like you do in a press, let it set for the same amount of time, then release the valve over my mug and bam! Coffee. I found a fondness for it because it is the same strength as French but with a much lower likelihood of grounds.

The dark roast I really like is Italian Roast, which is balanced in bitterness and bean flavor. The lower caffeine is my preference at this point of my metabolism. One cup in the morning does the job.

Reply/Quote
(11-02-2015, 08:13 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: Damn.  Learn something every day.  Definitely explains some things.

I've worked with a couple of larger Mormon-run companies in the past.  Always a bit of a shock to see their beverage selection when visiting their offices.  Not a soda to be found.

Yeah man...any caffeinated drinks are off limits.  Coffee, tea, most soda, etc... 

I travel a lot for work and routinely stay at Mariott hotels.  They don't sit out coffee packs for guests like most hotels do, and keep a Book of Mormon along with the Bible in the drawer.  Mormon influence is obvious.  
LFG  

Reply/Quote
(11-02-2015, 09:51 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: Yeah man...any caffeinated drinks are off limits.  Coffee, tea, most soda, etc... 

I travel a lot for work and routinely stay at Mariott hotels.  They don't sit out coffee packs for guests like most hotels do, and keep a Book of Mormon along with the Bible in the drawer.  Mormon influence is obvious.  

That's interesting. The Mariotts I have stayed in have had the Book of Mormon and the coffee. At least the last one did. That was a Renaissance, though, so just under the parent umbrella. But who knows.
Reply/Quote
Medium roast, black, drip.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2015, 09:51 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: I travel a lot for work and routinely stay at Mariott hotels.  They don't sit out coffee packs for guests like most hotels do, and keep a Book of Mormon along with the Bible in the drawer.  Mormon influence is obvious.  

And their honeymoon suites have 4 beds.
Reply/Quote
We use a percolator and mainly drink 8 o Clock Colombian roast. Recently bought a grinder and started grinding our own beans makes for a much fresher brew and leaves the cabinet smelling yummy. Cool

I usually just use milk and sugar but have been cutting back on my sugar. Used to use coffee mate peppermint creamer every now and then during winter until I figured out it was mainly made with vegetable oil.
Reply/Quote
I literally am just finishing the first one pound bag of coffee I ever bought. I never drank it before. Most of my life people were told pot and other illegal drugs were bad for you, caffeine was bad for you, and cigarettes were either good for you or harmless. Intuitively I always knew the last one was wrong, but tended to believe the other two for some stupid reason. At this point I think everything I was told for most of my life was wrong and or a lie. The food pyramid was b/s, cigarettes are perhaps the most toxic product ever, pot and many other drugs are good for many people and harmless for others, and caffeine is good for many people. But I digress...

Back to coffee. I bought a french press and a one pound bag of house blend at Starbucks. I have found a cup or two in the morning immensely improves my mood and focus through the day. Most of the rest of the world apparently has known this for millenia. So, now I am in on the secret.

I have a question about storing coffee. I have read so much conflicting stuff from "experts." Put it in a freezer, put it in a refrigerator, and never do either is the advice offered on various websites. Most consistent advice seems to be "store in a cool, dry place." That is how my folks always did it and makes the most sense to me. I just left the first pound in the bag I bought it in, and given that I only drink a cup a day and often only use one tablespoon of grounds instead of two it has lasted quite a while. I am wondering if I should buy an airtight canister for the next bag to be transferred into. Many "experts" say this will make it taste better for a longer time by keeping air and moisture out. What do you guys think? Is rolling down the sides of the bag it came in and clamping it adequate for the next purchase or should I transfer it to a special container?
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2015, 11:02 PM)xxlt Wrote: I literally am just finishing the first one pound bag of coffee I ever bought. I never drank it before. Most of my life people were told pot and other illegal drugs were bad for you, caffeine was bad for you, and cigarettes were either good for you or harmless. Intuitively I always knew the last one was wrong, but tended to believe the other two for some stupid reason. At this point I think everything I was told for most of my life was wrong and or a lie. The food pyramid was b/s, cigarettes are perhaps the most toxic product ever, pot and many other drugs are good for many people and harmless for others, and caffeine is good for many people. But I digress...

Back to coffee. I bought a french press and a one pound bag of house blend at Starbucks. I have found a cup or two in the morning immensely improves my mood and focus through the day. Most of the rest of the world apparently has known this for millenia. So, now I am in on the secret.

I have a question about storing coffee. I have read so much conflicting stuff from "experts." Put it in a freezer, put it in a refrigerator, and never do either is the advice offered on various websites. Most consistent advice seems to be "store in a cool, dry place." That is how my folks always did it and makes the most sense to me. I just left the first pound in the bag I bought it in, and given that I only drink a cup a day and often only use one tablespoon of grounds instead of two it has lasted quite a while. I am wondering if I should buy an airtight canister for the next bag to be transferred into. Many "experts" say this will make it taste better for a longer time by keeping air and moisture out. What do you guys think? Is rolling down the sides of the bag it came in and clamping it adequate for the next purchase or should I transfer it to a special container?

Don't freeze it, as it dries it out. You lose the oils and flavor that way. Buy a glass container with a sealed lid and store it in that. Just keeping it in the bag allows it to dry out, losing flavor and aromatics. Beans and grind as you go>pre-ground. Cool/dry place is where you want to put it.

Reply/Quote
(11-03-2015, 11:02 PM)xxlt Wrote: I literally am just finishing the first one pound bag of coffee I ever bought. I never drank it before. Most of my life people were told pot and other illegal drugs were bad for you, caffeine was bad for you, and cigarettes were either good for you or harmless. Intuitively I always knew the last one was wrong, but tended to believe the other two for some stupid reason. At this point I think everything I was told for most of my life was wrong and or a lie. The food pyramid was b/s, cigarettes are perhaps the most toxic product ever, pot and many other drugs are good for many people and harmless for others, and caffeine is good for many people. But I digress...

(11-04-2015, 12:29 AM)wildcats forever Wrote: Don't freeze it, as it dries it out. You lose the oils and flavor that way. Buy a glass container with a sealed lid and store it in that. Just keeping it in the bag allows it to dry out, losing flavor and aromatics. Beans and grind as you go>pre-ground. Cool/dry place is where you want to put it.

To expand on that, airtight glass or another airtight canister is best, especially if you are storing ground beans for more than a couple of days. If you go with the glass container, or any material that lets light through, put the canister in a place light doesn't hit it. Never the fridge or freezer. Most coffee snobs will say pre-ground is a no-no, and I can tell you it does make a huge difference, but doing that is just fine. I know people that go so far as to roast their beans each morning and swear by that, so we could just keep going down that rabbit hole. Do what you like and have time/resources for.

I am curious, are you making sure you have the right grind for your press? Most pre-ground is ground for auto-drip and that can cause a bad press experience trying to use that. So I want to make sure you have the coarsest grind going for it so you aren't spitting grinds out after drinking your coffee.
Reply/Quote