Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
College Coaches
I am really hoping that the Bengals go outside of the box and hire a College Head Coach. College Coaches have as much if not more responsibility as an NFL Coach. There are some good candidates in the College ranks
Jimbo Fisher
Dabo Sweeny
David Shaw
Jim Harbaugh

Just to name a few. Just wondering why we have not heard of any College Coaches scheduled for interviews.

What say you?
Anyone else think the Bengals would be better served with a College guy?
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2019, 05:35 PM)hotweales Wrote: I am really hoping that the Bengals go outside of the box and hire a College Head Coach. College Coaches have as much if not more responsibility as an NFL Coach. There are some good candidates in the College ranks
Jimbo Fisher
Dabo Sweeny
David Shaw
Jim Harbaugh

Just to name a few. Just wondering why we have not heard of any College Coaches scheduled for interviews.

What say you?

Nope, to much transition dealing with filty rich professional athletes as opposed to students.
Reply/Quote
At this point in time, I am open to anything.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2019, 05:35 PM)hotweales Wrote: I am really hoping that the Bengals go outside of the box and hire a College Head Coach. College Coaches have as much if not more responsibility as an NFL Coach. There are some good candidates in the College ranks
Jimbo Fisher
Dabo Sweeny
David Shaw
Jim Harbaugh

What say you?

I don't know, lots of great college coaches fail in the NFL for whatever reason...

Saban might be the best college coach of all time and he failed in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
Jimbo Fisher
Dabo Sweeny
David Shaw
Jim Harbaugh

What say you?

**** Jimbo Fisher.  Mellow

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2019, 05:37 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Nope, to much transition dealing with filty rich professional athletes as opposed to students.

Josh McDaniel just declined to interview with the Bengals!
Reply/Quote
There have been few successful jumps for head coaches from the college ranks to the Pros. The ones who were successful generally had NFL experience as a player or at the assistant level first. The transition isn't nearly as straightforward as it should seem.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Jimbo Fisher
Dabo Sweeny
David Shaw
Jim Harbaugh

What say you?

I think any coach that is perennially in the CFP should just stick where they are at...they are very likely not going to get a better gig than what they have.

I think coaches that should/would consider are those that keep doing well in college but not quite getting into the CFP.
David Shaw and Jim Harbaugh are good candidates, although might need to remove Harbaugh since he no longer has to worry about Urban Meyer. This could finally be his chance to perennially win the Big 10.
Maybe Tom Herman would be a good coach to jump to NFL but he seems to be bringing back the Longhorns to relevance so he might not want to risk the momentum he has going.
Scott Frost had UCF undefeated in 2017 before getting the Nebraska gig but he only went 4-8 this past year.
Maybe Chris Petersen from Washington? They've been rather good in the PAC-12 the past few years but have just been missing the CFP. Plus, he could be reunited with John Ross, who really knew how to utilize him on offense. Just a thought.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Jimbo Fisher
Dabo Sweeny
David Shaw
Jim Harbaugh

What say you?

Jim Harbaugh?

Bengals just got rid of a coach who couldn’t beat his rivals or win the big games. Why would we want another one?
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2019, 06:40 PM)pally Wrote: There have been few successful jumps for head coaches from the college ranks to the Pros.    The ones who were successful generally had NFL experience as a player or at the assistant level first.  The transition isn't nearly as straightforward as it should seem.

Yep

As a general rule college HC's don't translate well to the NFL. There are always exceptions.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2019, 07:13 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Jim Harbaugh?

Bengals just got rid of a coach who couldn’t beat his rivals or win the big games. Why would we want another one?

ThumbsUp Hilarious
[Image: n881eg.png]
Reply/Quote
I’ll take their janitors, as long as they don’t have the last name of lazor, Jackson, Jospeh, or Simmons. I want something new, I’m sick of the same old bs. Mike, you aren’t getting any younger, and your way clearly is ineffective
Reply/Quote
If I were Dabo my current situation is heaven on Earth. $7.5 million per year, coaching a perennial college powerhouse and being beloved my millions of fans. Even if his teams start to go downhill he will always be revered as a legend and be worshiped for life in that region (like Woody Hayes). Only a fool (or an egomaniac) would subject themselves to a worse coaching position for (probably) less money and be constantly criticized by an ignorant fan base.
Reply/Quote
I dunno, it's a tough transition going from "I am your master, you will do what I say" to "I can lead you to greatness, please listen to me".

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Jimbo Fisher
Dabo Sweeny
David Shaw
Jim Harbaugh

What say you?

Tom Herman, HC at Texas,a super coach and would make us a contender NOW.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2019, 09:06 PM)fortyyearfan Wrote: Tom Herman, HC at Texas,a super coach and would make us a contender NOW.

We have a whole thread on Herman....

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Bring-the-Cincy-Kid-Home-Tom-Herman-for-Head-Coach
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
Jimbo Fisher
Dabo Sweeny
David Shaw
Jim Harbaugh

What say you?

I would take that Kook Jim Harbaugh in a hot second.  

He is the anti-Bengal and anti-Cincinnati for that matter.  And I think guys would play for him.  I think the NFL would love him being in the same division as his brother, who isn't going anywhere now. 
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2019, 05:54 PM)hotweales Wrote: Josh McDaniel just declined to interview with the Bengals!

Good.  Let that little coattail rider stay where he is at and look like a complete doofus once Belicheck retires.  
Reply/Quote
The thing with college coaches is they tend to fail at a higher rate if they have never had experience in the NFL. A guy like Shaw who did coach in the NFL for 10 years I think could pull it off. For some guys though going to the NFL makes no sense. They make a lot of money in college and they can simply get the best players and dominate. They are treated like gods in those college towns versus being second guessed by the media every week in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2019, 08:48 PM)Chezaugie Wrote: If I were Dabo my current situation is heaven on Earth. $7.5 million per year, coaching a perennial college powerhouse and being beloved my millions of fans. Even if his teams start to go downhill he will always be revered as a legend and be worshiped for life in that region (like Woody Hayes). Only a fool (or an egomaniac) would subject themselves to a worse coaching position for (probably) less money and be constantly criticized by an ignorant fan base.

I live a skip, jump and a hop from Clemson and Sweeny would be seen as insane to take the gig in Cincinnati.. Hell, how many Clemson players do we even have? Currently exactly zero..  That could be a good thing though..  Nervous
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote