Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
College Coaches
(01-07-2019, 07:13 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Jim Harbaugh?

Bengals just got rid of a coach who couldn’t beat his rivals or win the big games. Why would we want another one?

Maybe those thinking Jim Harbaugh could still be a good coach are looking at him taking the 49ers to a SB and not focusing on college football. Not every good coach in college could do well in the NFL and vice versa. I’m not saying I’d be in favor of him, but I think he’d have more success if he went back to NFL.

Heck, the guy didn’t have a losing season his 4 years with the 49ers. The 8 years prior to him coming in, the 49ers hadn’t had a winning season. He’s shown to be a very good NFL HC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2019, 05:54 PM)hotweales Wrote: Josh McDaniel just declined to interview with the Bengals!

This is good news, those coming from the hoodie tree haven't fared well at all. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2019, 07:13 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Jim Harbaugh?

Bengals just got rid of a coach who couldn’t beat his rivals or win the big games. Why would we want another one?

there is only one rival he can't beat and that rival, is really really really good at football.  OSU doesn't lose to many teams.  
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2019, 05:42 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I don't know, lots of great college coaches fail in the NFL for whatever reason...

Saban might be the best college coach of all time and he failed in the NFL.

Would Saban had "failed" if the Dolphins had picked up Drew Brees instead of a spent Daunte Culpepper? He just jumped ship more than he failed.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2019, 12:25 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Maybe those thinking Jim Harbaugh could still be a good coach are looking at him taking the 49ers to a SB and not focusing on college football. Not every good coach in college could do well in the NFL and vice versa. I’m not saying I’d be in favor of him, but I think he’d have more success if he went back to NFL.

Heck, the guy didn’t have a losing season his 4 years with the 49ers. The 8 years prior to him coming in, the 49ers hadn’t had a winning season. He’s shown to be a very good NFL HC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True, Jim is one of the few that have done well in the NFL.

(01-08-2019, 01:05 PM)bengal_fan_in_toronto Wrote: there is only one rival he can't beat and that rival, is really really really good at football.  OSU doesn't lose to many teams.  

Yeah, OSU is tough.

(01-08-2019, 01:38 PM)jason Wrote: Would Saban had "failed" if the Dolphins had picked up Drew Brees instead of a spent Daunte Culpepper? He just jumped ship more than he failed.

Good point, but did Saban have a hand in that or was that all the Phins?
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2019, 11:35 AM)Au165 Wrote: The thing with college coaches is they tend to fail at a higher rate if they have never had experience in the NFL. A guy like Shaw who did coach in the NFL for 10 years I think could pull it off. For some guys though going to the NFL makes no sense. They make a lot of money in college and they can simply get the best players and dominate. They are treated like gods in those college towns versus being second guessed by the media every week in the NFL.

I think that's one of the biggest things. If you're a coach at one of the big schools you've got the luxury of saying "play for me for a couple years and I'll make you a millionaire" and there's no salary cap (outside of scholarships I guess). NFL coaches, as Sunset touched on, don't have that to motivate/recruit.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2019, 01:38 PM)jason Wrote: Would Saban had "failed" if the Dolphins had picked up Drew Brees instead of a spent Daunte Culpepper? He just jumped ship more than he failed.

That is kind of the point though. The doctors in Miami over ruled him and basically said no to Brees and his shoulder. Who in Tuscaloosa says no to Nick Saban? Then you now are stuck with an aging Daunte Culpepper and with a salary cap league you just can't go out and recruit the best QB in the country to come in next year, you have to draft one or hope another finds it's way to FA. Talent acquisition and navigating the salary cap are part of why college coaches struggle in the pro's as well, building the team how they want it isn't as easy.
Reply/Quote
I guess the big difference between college players and pro players is attitude. College players play for school spirit. Pro players play for spirits at the bar. I would just think stay with a pro football coach of some sort and forget looking at college coaches. College coaches have a job to teach life lessons to the young men. Pro players think they know all about life.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote