Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Columbus day --
(10-09-2018, 11:11 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: My god, you're bad at this.  

Exactly who is advocating for genocide and slavery that you're trying to oppose here?  Also, who isn't acknowledging it?  You've created a fake crisis, or more appropriately, your ideological twin did.

I expect a prompt apology.   Ninja
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(10-09-2018, 11:14 AM)GMDino Wrote:  I expect a prompt apology.   Ninja

To paraphrase you, you can't learn to be a better poster.
(10-09-2018, 11:17 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: To paraphrase you, you can't learn to be a better poster.

I've noticed that around here....

Rock On
(10-09-2018, 11:21 AM)GMDino Wrote: I've noticed that around here....

Rock On

Someone's projecting again.  Smirk
(10-09-2018, 11:29 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Someone's projecting again.  Smirk

Mellow

(10-09-2018, 11:14 AM)GMDino Wrote:  I expect a prompt apology.   Ninja

Hilarious
(10-07-2018, 05:57 PM)WiregrassBenGal Wrote: Christopher Columbus didn't "discover" America any more than Neil Armstrong "discovered" the moon.

But Neil Armstrong is still considered a hero for what he did.

You can't blame slavery on Columbus.  He had nothing to do with that.  

He did not treat the Indians well, but he was not the one who exterminated them either.  Hating him for that is like hating Thomas Jefferson and George Washington for owning slaves.

Columbus may not deserve a national holiday because he actually failed at what he was trying to do (find a new trade route to the Orient), but he does not deserve to be blamed for what happened to the native Americans or the establishment of slavery in the New World.
Apparently in Cincinnati it's no longer Columbus Day, but "Indigenous Peoples' Day". Because can't you just imagine that smooth transition?
https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/politics/2018/10/03/columbus-day-cincinnati-now-recognized-indigenous-peoples-day/1516261002/

As for me, I think we should have just gone for Vinland Day or Lief Erickson Day. Beat Columbus by 500 years, no genocide. That's a two-fer of improvement.

The people wanting to take down Columbus statues and such are pretty absurd, though.

It does crack me up when people want to pretend that the indigenous people were all peaceful folk or something. As if there wasn't war, taking land, slavery, scalping, and ritual mass sacrificing happening in the Americas way before Europeans ever showed up.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Not surprising Trump supporters (who many of which also deny the Holocaust of the Jews took place) are calling the holocaust of the Native American and 100's of millions of Africans a fake crisis in American history. Shrugs. It's to be expected.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/4/12/15270970/trump-administration-holocaust-denial-sean-spicer

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/01/the-trump-administrations-softcore-holocaust-denial/514974/

https://newrepublic.com/minutes/136150/trumps-foreign-policy-adviser-allegedly-denied-holocaust-made-anti-semitic-remarks

https://forward.com/fast-forward/394150/trump-praises-senate-candidate-who-spoke-at-rally-with-holocaust-denier/

You guys are something else. But hopefully those clear minded folk see where this "denial" of what happened to Native Americans and Africans from those considering it "fake crisis" really is coming from. Par the course.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
(10-10-2018, 10:42 AM)jj22 Wrote: Not surprising Trump supporters (who many of which also deny the Holocaust of the Jews took place) are calling the holocaust of the Native American and 100's of millions of Africans a fake crisis in American history. Shrugs. It's to be expected.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/4/12/15270970/trump-administration-holocaust-denial-sean-spicer

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/01/the-trump-administrations-softcore-holocaust-denial/514974/

https://newrepublic.com/minutes/136150/trumps-foreign-policy-adviser-allegedly-denied-holocaust-made-anti-semitic-remarks

https://forward.com/fast-forward/394150/trump-praises-senate-candidate-who-spoke-at-rally-with-holocaust-denier/

You guys are something else. But hopefully those clear minded folk see where this "denial" of what happened to Native Americans and Africans from those considering it "fake crisis" really is coming from. Par the course.

It wasn't hundreds of millions.  Not even close.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(10-10-2018, 11:53 AM)michaelsean Wrote: It wasn't hundreds of millions.  Not even close.  

It wasnt even a holocaust.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

(10-10-2018, 12:18 PM)Millhouse Wrote: It wasnt even a holocaust.

I was speaking of the Africans brought here, but yes.  It would be a genocide.  Apparently that's not a bad enough description.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

It was 100's of millions rather you like it or not. And that doesn't count the numbers that we don't know were murdered over a 300+ year trade and under the Jim Crow/KKK South (Has anyone went to the Freedom Center? Doesn't sound like it) that allowed for the murder of millions alone (after slavery/African Slave trade). I understand not knowing if it's not your history and you never cared to know what happened to African Americans and the number of Blacks murdered and slaughtered over that time. But, why be so defensive? I'm not saying it was your ancestors that did it.

Holocaust is defined as destruction or slaughter of a people on a mass scale. Even Socio stated Homosexuals fall under that category, so no it's not just Jews. People just don't like to think something of a larger scale then what Hitler did to the Jews happened here in America. Why Trump supporters get so worked up over the term "holocaust" I would act like I don't understand, but I've already showed how they hate that term and deny it even for Jews.

Folks denial and defining of the African Slave Trade and Holocaust of the Native American as being a "fake crisis" ie: Fake News I guess, got me off topic, however my original point remains, Columbus "discovering" America caused a ripple effect that likely isn't cause for celebration for the native people of this country or Africans.

(10-09-2018, 01:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: But Neil Armstrong is still considered a hero for what he did.

You can't blame slavery on Columbus.  He had nothing to do with that.  

He did not treat the Indians well, but he was not the one who exterminated them either.  Hating him for that is like hating Thomas Jefferson and George Washington for owning slaves.

Columbus may not deserve a national holiday because he actually failed at what he was trying to do (find a new trade route to the Orient), but he does not deserve to be blamed for what happened to the native Americans or the establishment of slavery in the New World.

I don't disagree with any of this. I will only add to the argument that he wasn't even Neil Armstrong in that he wasn't the first European to set foot in the Americas. But aside from that, he was a piece of shit. His rule as governor was reportedly tyrannical. As for slavery and the indigenous populations, he sure set a precedent with those by selling people into slavery for minor crimes and massacring the inhabitants of the islands.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(10-10-2018, 05:24 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Apparently in Cincinnati it's no longer Columbus Day, but "Indigenous Peoples' Day". Because can't you just imagine that smooth transition?
https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/politics/2018/10/03/columbus-day-cincinnati-now-recognized-indigenous-peoples-day/1516261002/

As for me, I think we should have just gone for Vinland Day or Lief Erickson Day. Beat Columbus by 500 years, no genocide. That's a two-fer of improvement.

The people wanting to take down Columbus statues and such are pretty absurd, though.

It does crack me up when people want to pretend that the indigenous people were all peaceful folk or something. As if there wasn't war, taking land, slavery, scalping, and ritual mass sacrificing happening in the Americas way before Europeans ever showed up.

And don't forget Madoc.  He may have come here and established a colony somewhere on the gulf coast.

(10-10-2018, 01:19 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I don't disagree with any of this. I will only add to the argument that he wasn't even Neil Armstrong in that he wasn't the first European to set foot in the Americas. But aside from that, he was a piece of shit. His rule as governor was reportedly tyrannical. As for slavery and the indigenous populations, he sure set a precedent with those by selling people into slavery for minor crimes and massacring the inhabitants of the islands.

Yeah I wont argue with any of this either.

Only thing I would say though is I dont know if he really set a precedent though he technically was the first to do so. Because I have to think the ones that came after him from Europe would have still done what they did in terms looking on the natives as godless heathens, thus treating them as such to serve their empirical needs of slave labor and what not. Best way to simplify that down is that Columbus didn't create the slavery mentality and committing massacres, but he came from a culture that bred that way of thinking towards non-Christian primitive peoples. If that makes sense.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

(10-10-2018, 01:25 PM)michaelsean Wrote: And don't forget Madoc.  He may have come here and established a colony somewhere on the gulf coast.

[Image: ancient-aliens-meme-24.jpg]
(10-10-2018, 02:10 PM)fredtoast Wrote: [Image: ancient-aliens-meme-24.jpg]

He was Welch so yeah.

(10-10-2018, 02:11 PM)michaelsean Wrote: He was Welch so yeah.

Was he red or green? Ninja
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(10-10-2018, 02:17 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Was he red or green? Ninja

Oops, but I'm curious.  Red or green jelly?  Juice?