Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Combine participants
(03-04-2022, 03:51 PM)Synric Wrote: It's not end all but Arm Length matters. A guy with 31' arms like Tyler Linderbaum will need lightning fast hands to compensate for his lack of length... See Creed Humphrey. 

It was a problem for Billy Price as we all saw, but man I just find it hard to believe a guy like Linderbaum would just suck in 
the NFL cause of his short arms after pretty much dominating consistently in college. I think he falls to us after this, I would
still happily take him but it is still a question. Still the best Center in all of college and it isn't even close.

I think he can make up for it with his hands and technique.

After this if we don't get a Center in FA I think Linderbaum is a Bengal.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2022, 03:51 PM)Synric Wrote: It's not end all but Arm Length matters. A guy with 31' arms like Tyler Linderbaum will need lightning fast hands to compensate for his lack of length... See Creed Humphrey. 

People questioned Rashawn Slater at OT because of arm length. But, he played great against elite competition in college. That’s what I try to look for. How did they do against NFL level competition in college? Arm length and other measurements are secondary, but not unimportant, either.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2022, 05:06 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: People questioned Rashawn Slater at OT because of arm length. But, he played great against elite competition in college. That’s what I try to look for. How did they do against NFL level competition in college? Arm length and other measurements are secondary, but not unimportant, either.

No doubt and Slater was arguably the best rookie OL last season.

I am sure Linderbaum went against a lot of elite DT's in his career at Iowa. I know he went against Penn State that great game
last year and held his own against their badazz DT's Mustipher and company.
Reply/Quote
Just saw Zion Johnson benched 225 lbs. 32 times barefoot.

Depending on how we go about FA I think the pick could be between Linderbaum and Zion. Zion could go before us now.
Reply/Quote

Lack of length is definitely worth noting, but the good news is some really good centers have had sub-32" arms in the past.

As Joe Goodberry notes, most of the centers with sub-32" arms have been really good athletes to compensate.
Some players worth noting:
Nick Mangold (30.75")
Ryan Kalil (30.75")
Marukice Pouncey (31.0")
David Andrews (31.25")
Alex Mack (31.5")

Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2022, 05:06 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: People questioned Rashawn Slater at OT because of arm length. But, he played great against elite competition in college. That’s what I try to look for. How did they do against NFL level competition in college? Arm length and other measurements are secondary, but not unimportant, either.

Rashawn Slater has fast hands and perfect technique that was said through the process. He needed to meet base minimum requirements and he did...

Slater wasn't the only OT to completely shutdown Chase Young that season. Michigan's Jon Runyan also stonewalled him but Runyan not as talented went 6th round and is a backup guard for the packers.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2022, 05:52 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Lack of length is definitely worth noting, but the good news is some really good Pro Bowl centers have had sub-32" arms in the past.

As Joe Goodberry notes, most of the centers with sub-32" arms have been really good athletes to compensate.
Some players worth noting:
Nick Mangold (30.75")
Ryan Kalil (30.75")
Marukice Pouncey (31.0")
David Andrews (31.25")
Alex Mack (31.5")

For every pro bowler and high caliber player I can give you a Billy Price that just didnt have the hand speed to compensate for lack of length.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2022, 05:43 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Just saw Zion Johnson benched 225 lbs. 32 times barefoot.

Depending on how we go about FA I think the pick could be between Linderbaum and Zion. Zion could go before us now.

Johnson could really be a steal.
He didn't play C in college, but he did play OG and LT, so he's versatile.
He did play C some in the Senior Bowl.

At 6'3", 312 lb with 34" arms, he could be a studly IOL with some emergency OT capability.

Also think Dylan Parham, Ed Ingram, and Jamaree Salyer had good measurements for IOL.

Parham:
6'3"
311 lb
33.5" arm length

Ingram:
6'3"
307 lb
33.675" arm length

Salyer:
6'3"
321 lb
33.675" arm length

Raimann coming in under 33" arm length doesn't bode well for him staying at OT. 
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I like that Linderbaum has a background in wrestling, track, and baseball. It means he's a good athlete. I don't like that he's "bulked up" and still is under 300 and I don't like the sub 32" arms. I would have liked to see him bench and workout.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2022, 06:01 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Johnson could really be a steal.

At 6'3", 312 lb with 34" arms, he could be a studly IOL with some emergency OT capability.

Also think Dylan Parham, Ed Ingram, and Jamaree Salyer had good measurements for IOL.

Parham:
6'3"
311 lb
33.5" arm length

Ingram:
6'3"
307 lb
33.675" arm length

Salyer:
6'3"
321 lb
33.675" arm length

This is a better year for Guards than Tackles. That's why I mentioned in a thread in Jungle noise to target the tackle and center over the guards everyone wants in Free Agency...

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2022, 06:01 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I like that Linderbaum has a background in wrestling, track, and baseball. It means he's a good athlete. I don't like that he's "bulked up" and still is under 300 and I don't like the sub 32" arms. I would have liked to see him bench and workout.

I like Tyler Linderbaum I know I'm talking about length but they guy has great technique and is very intelligent. He also fits the Bengals wide zone scheme...

Question is can run a power scheme when asked too on the goal line and in certain situations. Also tight, inside zone, and Duo. These are all plays rhe Bengals use... I do believe he will be there at 31 though. I'm gonna go back and watch him again.

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2022, 06:01 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Johnson could really be a steal.

Parham:
6'3"
311 lb
33.5" arm length

Ingram:
6'3"
307 lb
33.675" arm length

Salyer:
6'3"
321 lb
33.675" arm length

Thanks for this Ocho, agree on Zion. He could be an immediate starter which is pretty crazy if we can get him at 31. Love that
he is versatile too. We might have quite the competition going on at LG if we grab him. Him being able to play LT and Center is
a bonus, versatility always gives an OL an edge IMO.

Really like those other 3 Guards for us in the 2nd as well. RT I really think needs to be taken care of in FA. Bring in Moses.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2022, 05:54 PM)Synric Wrote: For every pro bowler and high caliber player I can give you a Billy Price that just didnt have the hand speed to compensate for lack of length.

Yep you can.
That's why there's more to an evaluation than just length lol.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2022, 06:09 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Thanks for this Ocho, agree on Zion. He could be an immediate starter which is pretty crazy if we can get him at 31. Love that
he is versatile too. We might have quite the competition going on at LG if we grab him. Him being able to play LT and Center is
a bonus, versatility always gives an OL an edge IMO.

Really like those other 3 Guards for us in the 2nd as well. RT I really think needs to be taken care of in FA. Bring in Moses.

Yep I like the potential OGs to come in and start immediately way more than I do the OTs in this draft class.
I'd still be willing to draft an OT but with the plan to have them groom as a backup for a couple years.
Get a vet in place so the Bengals don't force a draft pick into starting at RT right away.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Ed Ingram with a surprise forty really nice split and finish.

Edit: and he topped it his second go... 1.73 10 yard split unofficial.

Reply/Quote
Abraham Lucas with a nice forty and split.

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2022, 06:08 PM)Synric Wrote: I like Tyler Linderbaum I know I'm talking about length but they guy has great technique and is very intelligent. He also fits the Bengals wide zone scheme...

Question is can run a power scheme when asked too on the goal line and in certain situations. Also tight, inside zone, and Duo. These are all plays rhe Bengals use... I do believe he will be there at 31 though. I'm gonna go back and watch him again.

Honestly, with the Bengals being linked to several C's in FA, I doubt he would be the pick even if he fell to us.  With his size and length issues, I don't see him transitioning to G successfully.  
Reply/Quote
Ed Ingram ran well then moved well he made some money today. Ickey Ekwonu has looked better than anyone I have ever seen in the L drill wow his feet moved somfast and barely left the ground.

Edit: Wow those fast feet Ickey Ekwonu are special. He's earning that #1 OT spot.

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2022, 06:01 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I like that Linderbaum has a background in wrestling, track, and baseball. It means he's a good athlete. I don't like that he's "bulked up" and still is under 300 and I don't like the sub 32" arms. I would have liked to see him bench and workout.

Draft wrestlers, any questions about hand technique are unfounded with a high end wrestler because hand fighting is an every day drill we do. You know who was a really good wrestling center last year? Creed Humphrey.

Fun fact, Linderbaum beat Tristan Wirfs in high school to go to the State Tournament.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2022, 06:59 PM)Synric Wrote: Ed Ingram ran well then moved well he made some money today. Ickey Ekwonu has looked better than anyone I have ever seen in the L drill wow his feet moved somfast and barely left the ground.

Edit: Wow those fast feet Ickey Ekwonu are special. He's earning that #1 OT spot.

Ingram I think will have appeal to Bengals.
He has ideal size and experience, plus he's showing his athleticism.
Not to mention he played with Burrow and Chase on the 2019 team that won a championship.
I wouldn't be shocked if he's selected at 63.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote