Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Comp Picks Announced - None for Bengals
(03-11-2021, 01:52 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I think not having comp picks should generally be a goal of every franchise because it means that over the previous year you added more value than you lost in free agency, at least in terms of dollars. There obviously isn't a direct causal relationship between money spent and production gained, but you'd hope there is at least a correlation.

It is also true that if you develop more of your draft picks into high priced players than you can afford to keep then you end up with more comp picks.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2021, 10:03 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: They’ve had more misses than hits with them.

The highest comp pick you can get comes after the third round.

When you look at ALL third round picks only about a third of them pan out.  The numbers get worse later in the draft.

So I ould say that EVERY team has a lot more misses with comp picks than hits.
Reply/Quote
I don't think the Bengals ever passed on signing a free agent due to any effect on comp picks. I don't think comp picks were part of any plan for them.  They just ended up with comp picks because they didn't spend a lot on outside free agents.

If anything Hobsons talk about comp picks was just a way to try and put a better spin on the Bengals cheap nature with outside free agents.
Reply/Quote