Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Comp picks announced...
(02-24-2017, 07:57 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Welcome to Jungle Noise. Where getting 4 comp picks is a bad thing

It's only bad because we know Brown is using those comp picks as some kind of warped justification to let key free agents walk.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2017, 06:41 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I'm not a fan of the comp system as it's currently set up. If a team loses a player to free agency (especially by choice), then why should it be rewarded with a draft pick if it chooses not to replace the player with another comparable FA, or decides to replace them in the draft instead of pursuing a FA?

It's just another weapon in Mike Brown's cheap arsenal. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2017, 07:36 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: How the hell did the Steelers end up with a 3rd round comp?

You can thanks the dumbass Jaguars for giving Kelvin Beachum a $9m a year contract. Idiots. They then go out and release him. Crap like this is why the Jaguars are the Jaguars.
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2017, 07:36 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: How the hell did the Steelers end up with a 3rd round comp?

Because the Rooney's are buddy buddy with Goodell.
Reply/Quote
I think I'm gonna have to roll with bfizel on this one. Plenty of late talent available in those rounds. It's also possible ammunition.
At first glance I wanted that extra 4th but I'm good. Eleven picks is playing with a full deck going in, & ain't nothing wrong with that.

Not to mention the AJ Mc situation. We're in good shape for this draft from a numbers standpoint.
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2017, 06:57 PM)John Shaft Wrote: Bengals have implemented this strategy for quite some time. Time to go in a different direction.

And they made the playoffs 5 years in a row  prior to this year with every known media group saying they have a top 5 roster on a consistent basis.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2017, 05:50 PM)J24 Wrote: You do understand that the majority of these big deals ends in complete failure and usually end up getting cut in a year or two into the deal. I am not saying don't  compete in free agency but it has been proven that  going all in during the first day is not a good strategy. There is nothing wrong with dumpster diving when it comes to free agency.

Reggie White
Corey Dillon
Mo Sanu
Alex Mack
Steve Smith
Anquon Boldin
Aquib Talib
Darrelle Revis

A few off the top of my head.  You don't have to go get the top FA.  Somewhere between the top and the scrap heap are very good players who help the teams that signed them get to the SB, or at least be in the running.  You can't Tampa Bay your way to a SB but you can Denver your way to one.  How many more years should AJ et al have to wait to have a real chance?

If Whit leaves, it won't be about money.  He'll go be that last piece that puts somebody over the top.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-24-2017, 06:20 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I seriously hate the compensatory pick process...do away with it completely.  If you didn't sign your own FA, you have saved money.  This never makes any sense to me.  How on earth, with the losses the Bengals had, did they not get better earlier compensatory picks?

(02-24-2017, 06:41 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I'm not a fan of the comp system as it's currently set up. If a team loses a player to free agency (especially by choice), then why should it be rewarded with a draft pick if it chooses not to replace the player with another comparable FA, or decides to replace them in the draft instead of pursuing a FA?

Too much common sense in these two posts. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2017, 05:50 PM)J24 Wrote: You do understand that the majority of these big deals ends in complete failure and usually end up getting cut in a year or two into the deal. I am not saying don't  compete in free agency but it has been proven that  going all in during the first day is not a good strategy. There is nothing wrong with dumpster diving when it comes to free agency.

Dude...free agency isn't any less risky than drafting players. Free agents have a proven track record.

The Bengals haven't even been playing most of their draft picks in Year 1 the past several years.

Also, the Bengals free agency strategy of 'dumpster diving' hasn't yielded a single playoff win in 26+ years.

It's not working.
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2017, 09:22 PM)McC Wrote: Reggie White
Corey Dillon
Mo Sanu
Alex Mack
Steve Smith
Anquon Boldin
Aquib Talib
Darrelle Revis

A few off the top of my head.  You don't have to go get the top FA.  Somewhere between the top and the scrap heap are very good players who help the teams that signed them get to the SB, or at least be in the running.  You can't Tampa Bay your way to a SB but you can Denver your way to one.  How many more years should AJ et al have to wait to have a real chance?

If Whit leaves, it won't be about money.  He'll go be that last piece that puts somebody over the top.
I
Steve Smith was cut( which would put him in the dumpster bin) not a UFA and he was also cheap. If the Bengals signed him at the time people like you would have bitched about him being too old. Darrell Revis was terrible for the bucs and has been a disappointment for the Jets. yet he was a nice find for the Patriots(by the way he was cut by the Bucs and again would go in the dumpster bin of signings).  Those two signings are reasons why the Bengals should consider signing dumpster guys and why they work. Look at what Seattle did in 2012 with Michael Bennett and Cliff Avril both guys had little appeal and both were signed at discount prices in April that offseason. Point being you don't have to spend a lot of money in free agency to have an impact in free agency.
J24

Reply/Quote
(02-24-2017, 09:22 PM)McC Wrote: Reggie White
Corey Dillon
Mo Sanu
Alex Mack
Steve Smith
Anquon Boldin
Aquib Talib
Darrelle Revis

Exactly! And it's been covered in a lot of other threads where the Patriots, Seahawks, Broncos and other teams who have recently won a Super Bowl have signed some free agents that were really good players.

The Bengals on the other hand, will play a Center who grades out as one of the worst in the NFL instead of addressing that position in free agency. How's that working out?
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2017, 10:19 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Dude...free agency isn't any less risky than drafting players. Free agents have a proven track record.

The Bengals haven't even been playing most of their draft picks in Year 1 the past several years.

Also, the Bengals free agency strategy of 'dumpster diving' hasn't yielded a single playoff win in 26+ years.

It's not working.
So your saying
Adam Jones, Cedric Benson, Chris crocker, Reggie Nelson, Terrance Newman, Deltha Oneal, Wallace gilberry didn't help this team while they were here?  Because all of those guys would be considered dumbster signings. Also are you saying you would not be happy if this team signed guys like a Torrey Smith, Nick Mangold, and Mychal Kendricks?
J24

Reply/Quote
(02-24-2017, 10:32 PM)J24 Wrote: So your saying
Adam Jones, Cedric Benson, Chris crocker, Reggie Nelson, Terrance Newman, Deltha Oneal, Wallace gilberry didn't help this team while they were here?  Because all of those guys would be considered dumbster signings. Also are you saying you would not be happy if this team signed guys like a Torrey Smith, Nick Mangold, and Mychal Kendricks?

Reggie Nelson and Deltha O'neal were acquired via trade.
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2017, 08:49 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: You can thanks the dumbass Jaguars for giving Kelvin Beachum a $9m a year contract. Idiots. They then go out and release him. Crap like this is why the Jaguars are the Jaguars.

Except they didn't.  They essentially gave him a one-year $5m contract with a 4 year $40m option.  The Jaguars gave Beachum a funky contract and somehow the NFL rewards the Steelers for it.  Complete idiocy.
Reply/Quote
Am I the only poster that recognizes the Bengals are in the rebuild process now? Load the team with future potential. Forget about contending for the Super Bowl for the next 5 years.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2017, 10:22 PM)J24 Wrote: I
Steve Smith was cut( which would put him in the dumpster bin) not a UFA and he was also cheap. If the Bengals signed him at the time people like you would have bitched about him being too old. Darrell Revis was terrible for the bucs and has been a disappointment for the Jets. yet he was a nice find for the Patriots(by the way he was cut by the Bucs and again would go in the dumpster bin of signings).  Those two signings are reasons why the Bengals should consider signing dumpster guys and why they work. Look at what Seattle did in 2012 with Michael Bennett and Cliff Avril both guys had little appeal and both were signed at discount prices in April that offseason. Point being you don't have to spend a lot of money in free agency to have an impact in free agency.

Mr. Technicality...Revis was actually traded to the Bucs by the Jets: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000162196/article/new-york-jets-trade-darrelle-revis-to-tampa-bay-bucs

He was quite good for the Bucs...but while his contract was a 6 year contract. It was structured so most of the money was in base salary. Essentially he signed 6, 1 year contracts. Revis also had an ACL injury when he was traded to the Bucs and still made the Pro Bowl.

Cliff Avril was one of the most sought after DE's on the market that year. Avril signed a 2 year $15 million deal with Seattle. Hardly dumpster diving. Prior to that he had 39.5 sacks and 16 forced fumbles in 5 years for the Lions.

You're using a strawman argument where you downplay how good free agents other teams sign and overrate how good ones the Bengals sign are. The Bengals don't sign 1st tier, 2nd tier, or even 3rd tier free agents. The guys they sign are 4th tier and below.
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2017, 10:22 PM)J24 Wrote: I
People like me?  WTF?  What kind of rude ass comment is that?

Cliff Avril's first contract with Seattle was 2 years, 13 million.  Hardly cheap. 

Revis got a 10 million dollar signing bonus from the Patriots.   That is one expensive dumpster.  

Michael Bennett has only played for Seattle.  He was an undrafted free agent.

If you're gonna be so rude, at least you can be correct.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-24-2017, 10:54 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Mr. Technicality...Revis was actually traded to the Bucs by the Jets: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000162196/article/new-york-jets-trade-darrelle-revis-to-tampa-bay-bucs

He was quite good for the Bucs...but while his contract was a 6 year contract. It was structured so most of the money was in base salary. Essentially he signed 6, 1 year contracts. Revis also had an ACL injury when he was traded to the Bucs and still made the Pro Bowl.

Cliff Avril was one of the most sought after DE's on the market that year. Avril signed a 2 year $15 million deal with Seattle. Hardly dumpster diving. Prior to that he had 39.5 sacks and 16 forced fumbles in 5 years for the Lions.

You're using a strawman argument where you downplay how good free agents other teams sign and overrate how good ones the Bengals sign are. The Bengals don't sign 1st tier, 2nd tier, or even 3rd tier free agents. The guys they sign are 4th tier and below.

(02-24-2017, 11:06 PM)McC Wrote: People like me?  WTF?  What kind of rude ass comment is that?

Cliff Avril's first contract with Seattle was 2 years, 13 million.  Hardly cheap. 

Revis got a 10 million dollar signing bonus from the Patriots.   That is one expensive dumpster.  

Michael Bennett has only played for Seattle.  He was an undrafted free agent.

If you're gonna be so rude, at least you can be correct.

If your mind is made up that what the Bengals are doing and have done is working........??? being correct isn't important I guess.

Signing on for the Mike Brown/Marvin Lewis 30 year plan to success has some fantasy reality realm us peons just aren't tuned into.
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2017, 11:23 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: If your mind is made up that what the Bengals are doing and have done is working........??? being correct isn't important I guess.

Signing on for the Mike Brown/Marvin Lewis 30 year plan to success has some fantasy reality realm us peons just aren't tuned into.

Yep. How people can defend the strategy of a team that hasn't work a playoff game in 26+ years, while most teams have won 5+ over that span...I can't fathom.

Yet every year people spout off the Bengals nonsense that free agency is evil and cite the worst of the worst free agent signings. As if racking up 10+ draft picks is a guaranteed way to land impact players.

We drafted exactly 0 guys that started last year. Only a few actually played as backups. Boyd being the best.

Signing free agents and foregoing comp picks has a much higher hit rate than the draft...as free agents actually come in and play.
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2017, 06:20 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I seriously hate the compensatory pick process...do away with it completely.  If you didn't sign your own FA, you have saved money.  This never makes any sense to me.  How on earth, with the losses the Bengals had, did they not get better earlier compensatory picks?

Comp picks never made sense to me in a league where there's revenue sharing and a salary cap. All the teams are technically operating with the exact same amount of operating money (even if some owners don't want to spend it all). So it never made sense to me that there was comp picks.

In baseball, I could understand comp picks. ("Competitive balance picks") Teams aren't on equal grounds with money there. But in the NFL, all teams can have the same chance at any FA, so long as they didn't squander their money on others.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote