Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Comp picks dictating FA approach
I've talked about this before and it's becoming very frustrating. Over the last few years, the Bengals have been placing greater and greater value on comp picks...to the point where it more or less dictates their activity in free agency.

From Hobson: 

The Bengals want to make sure they get a third-round compensatory pick for Kevin Zeitler’s deal in Cleveland and a compensatory fifth for Andrew Whitworth’s deal in Los Angeles. Now with Peko, Burkhead, and Karlos Dansby already signing or about to sign deals worthy of picks, the Bengals have some room to maneuver on the unrestricted market.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2017, 05:20 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I've talked about this before and it's becoming very frustrating. Over the last few years, the Bengals have been placing greater and greater value on comp picks...to the point where it more or less dictates their activity in free agency.

From Hobson: 

The Bengals want to make sure they get a third-round compensatory pick for Kevin Zeitler’s deal in Cleveland and a compensatory fifth for Andrew Whitworth’s deal in Los Angeles. Now with Peko, Burkhead, and Karlos Dansby already signing or about to sign deals worthy of picks, the Bengals have some room to maneuver on the unrestricted market.

It's the loser path.  Not lose every game.  But lose any chance at the big prize.  Dig me up when it works.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2017, 05:20 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I've talked about this before and it's becoming very frustrating. Over the last few years, the Bengals have been placing greater and greater value on comp picks...to the point where it more or less dictates their activity in free agency.

From Hobson: 

The deal is that Free Agents are proven in the NFL. Draft picks are not. As much as they like these comp picks it is gambling
more than if they brought in a FA in his prime like a Calais Campbell or something. We need to start moving a little further into
FA if anything and less into the comp picks.

With you all the way Holic, it is frustrating.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2017, 05:39 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: The deal is that Free Agents are proven in the NFL. Draft picks are not. As much as they like these comp picks it is gambling
more than if they brought in a FA in his prime like a Calais Campbell or something. We need to start moving a little further into

It might be different if these comp picks yielded better results than they have.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2017, 05:44 PM)McC Wrote: It might be different if these comp picks yielded better results than they have.

No doubt. The results aint good people.
Reply/Quote

From Hobson: 

Bengals have announced they will be looking at unrestricted Free agents  as a result of the recent departures.
Reply/Quote
Iv said this during this offseason so much

We build through the draft and im cool with that. But looking at the history of comp picks league wide, you have to accept that comp picks basically aren't really even assets. Your gameplan should in no way shape or form include the management of comp picks as a means to do ANYTHING.

Now were letting guys walk to purposely get picks for them. That's just crazy.
Reply/Quote
It would also be different if these were high round picks.

The earliest possible pick is #97, hardly worth letting guys walk.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2017, 05:54 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: It would also be different if these were high round picks.

It is just an absolutely crazy approach and it's proven it's not a formula for success. For some reason I look forward to free agency every year even though I know better
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2017, 05:51 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Bengals have announced they will be looking at unrestricted Free agents  as a result of the recent departures.

...and comp picks are playing no part in the equation? 
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2017, 05:54 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: It would also be different if these were high round picks.

Some of these guys their age or pay demand they have to walk almost...  Comp picks help the sting and help you rebuild the back end of your depth and you still gotta trust your next man up strategy that we have been trying to build.   

One benefit I could see to the extra draft picks is if you can keep most the depth pretty young and on rookie deals it leaves more money for signing top end players to extensions and such.

But not all the draft picks should even be making the team every year.  So generally they are a waste.   

But now that you can trade them they are more valuable.  (assuming we trade any of them)
Reply/Quote
That plan blew up in their face this offseason. Guess they didn't learn anything.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2017, 05:59 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Some of these guys their age or pay demand they have to walk almost...  Comp picks help the sting and help you rebuild the back end of your depth and you still gotta trust your next man up strategy that we have been trying to build.   

One benefit I could see to the extra draft picks is if you can keep most the depth pretty young and on rookie deals it leaves more money for signing top end players to extensions and such.

But not all the draft picks should even be making the team every year.  So generally they are a waste.   

But now that you can trade them they are more valuable.  (assuming we trade any of them)

I'm talking more about outside free agents. Once they have lost guys and know they'll be getting comp picks, it then limits the pool of free agents they can target because they don't want to lose the comps. That means they're always focusing on released players or lower tier contracts. 
Reply/Quote
Maybe next year they can finally draft 3rd round compensatory draft pick Chase Coffman's replacement with another 3rd round compensatory pick?

We can only keep our fingers crossed.
Reply/Quote
Why are Andy Dalton and AJ Green sticking around?
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2017, 06:08 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I'm talking more about outside free agents. Once they have lost guys and know they'll be getting comp picks, it then limits the pool of free agents they can target because they don't want to lose the comps. That means they're always focusing on released players or lower tier contracts. 

So true, they are tying their own hands behind their backs.

If anything you want to have more freedom on who you want to add to your team, not less.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2017, 05:51 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Bengals have announced they will be looking at unrestricted Free agents  as a result of the recent departures.

And par for their course they wait until no one of any consequence is left before making that announcement. 
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2017, 06:19 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Why are Andy Dalton and AJ Green sticking around?

Only because they have To because they're under contract
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2017, 05:39 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: The deal is that Free Agents are proven in the NFL. Draft picks are not. As much as they like these comp picks it is gambling

Pretty much sums it up for me. Rock On
Reply/Quote
It's always about the season after this one....
Reply/Quote