Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Compared to Last Year ...
Compared to this time last year, how do these two teams stack up? I think most all of us would probably agree that the Bengals are better than last year. But what about the Chiefs? I honestly don't watch other teams that closely. In fact, I haven't watched more than a quarter total of Chiefs' play all season. I know the Chiefs have won something like 11 of their last 12 but a number of those were games they could have easily lost. The woeful Broncos played them close twice, the Texans took them to overtime, and I think the Raiders only lost to them by a point in Arrowhead. Many of you have probably followed the Chiefs closer than I have. Are they on par with last year or are they just a tad below the level they were year ago. My impression is that while very good, they may not be quite the juggernaut of the last few years. Again, you likely know their personnel better than I do.

So, what do you think? Are the Bengals considerably better than last year, slightly better, or about the same, in your opinion ? How would you answer the same question about the current Chiefs' squad?
"Knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable. "
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote
From what I've seen..

Mahomes is better than ever. You know how rave about Burrow taking what's there and not forcing the deep stuff? Mahomes has done that as well. He still has the propensity to throw into coverage more than Joe, but also has a better ability to take the top off on some crazy throw. He's the best. And I expect him to be near 100%.

Joe is also vastly improved. Getting the ball out fast, not taking the sacks, getting through his reads faster.

Pacheco is a tough runner with some burst. Containing him will be key, and the Chiefs have a very very good IOL. Maybe best in the league.

Chiefs tackles can be exposed in the pass game. Hubbard and Hendrickson need to be causing havoc.

I actually think Mecole Hardman's status could be a big deal. He's a speedster who can take the top off.

Chiefs don't tackle well in space. I expect Hurst to have a big game.

Chris Jones can be a game wrecker. Absolute stud. Needs to be doubled and accounted for every single down.

Their corners are young, big and athletic. Bengals should have a big advantage there however.

Kelce will get his. I think the Bengals can keep him somewhat in check.

How do I think the Bengals plan to win? Force Mahomes to dink and dunk down the field and hope he eventually gets frustrated and throws one to you. Count on your edges to expose Wylie/Brown in the pass game. Mix up coverages and make Mahomes think every down. Use Hilton as an irritant, and test Mahomes mobility with slot blitzes. Get stops in the red zone.

On the other side, I think we saw the plan against Buffalo. Get ahead, and then play physical in space. Hurst, Perine, Mixon smashing them in the short passing and run game and using the middle of the field in the intermediate game. I don't expect deep shots unless they're sideline go balls with this offensive line. Not with Jones looming in the middle.

I think the red zone battle decides this game. Both offenses are really good in the red zone, but the Bengals D is also good there while the Chiefs is mediocre.

Expect anxiety. This should be tight.
Reply/Quote
Coming into the year, the major differences were the Bengals improved their o line and the Chiefs offensive weapons took a hit when they lost Hill. I’d take last years offense from KC over this one despite their record. The Bengals o line was vastly improved, but with the injuries I’d say we will not get the full benefit of that. Even with the injuries I’d still take this o line with Karras directing it over last years.

Burrow is playing even better down the stretch. Mahomes is still Mahomes, but the injury could slow him down a bit.

Defenses are both probably a little better than last year but the Bengals seems to have improved more than the Chiefs based on the eye test without really changing personnel much.

Overall I’d say the Bengals are better this year than last, and despite the better record, I’d say the chiefs were better last year (although still pretty close). They are still more than capable of winning a SB with this group. It will likely be another very close game either way.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The Chiefs are my second-favorite team, and I saw about four games. Strangely, this year they are using Edwards-Hilaire much less. Pacheco is really tough, though like Deebo Samuel. They have JuJu Smith-Schuster, who probably still has PTSD from when he got clocked in that late 2020 game from the Bengals. It should be a different game from last year because the Chiefs may have underestimated the Bengals then and the weather was a full 20 degrees warmer. I can't wait. Sunday night I want to watch the game and have a nice dinner. BW's?
Reply/Quote
It’s really just going to come to execution. I’d say their offense is just as capable in not more so than ours, but our defense is better. They made the big mistake last game but we also left at least 7 points off the board with a dropped touchdown and where we kicked a field goal and deep Redzone drive where we went for it on 4th down and didn’t get it.
Reply/Quote
The biggest difference from last year to this year is that the Bengals are no longer the team that surprise upsetting their favored opponents, and are now dictating the flow of the action and controlling the tempo.

As in the one's who used to be the hunted, are now the hunters.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Overall, the Bengals are the better team.

Without Mahomes, the Chiefs are like a 6 win team...and I stand by that. Andy Reid and Mahomes elevate that team so much its ridiculous.

Bengals have better players on defense and offense. Honestly, its not really even that close. You could go position by position and the Bengals have better talent at 80% of the positions on the field.

Bengals are better than last year. I would say the Chiefs are about the same. They don't have Tyreek Hill but they have managed to survive. They do have Mckinnon and Pancheko though which has given them some speed out of the backfield. They just never commit to fully running the ball.

Either way, this game is going to be a coin flip.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
Last year the Bengals were an emerging team and this year the team is solidifying itself as a contender, hopefully for years to come. That's the big difference "compared to last year" from my perspective.

The similarity between this year and last is that to win it all the Bengals must beat a great team every week. There are no easy weeks in the NFL, yet alone the playoffs. This game against KC is going to be hard to win for either team.

I think we win this week but would not be shocked if we lost a close game since it's the nature of NFL games.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2023, 01:01 AM)Brimey Wrote: From what I've seen..

Mahomes is better than ever. You know how rave about Burrow taking what's there and not forcing the deep stuff? Mahomes has done that as well. He still has the propensity to throw into coverage more than Joe, but also has a better ability to take the top off on some crazy throw. He's the best. And I expect him to be near 100%.

Joe is also vastly improved. Getting the ball out fast, not taking the sacks, getting through his reads faster.

Pacheco is a tough runner with some burst. Containing him will be key, and the Chiefs have a very very good IOL. Maybe best in the league.

Chiefs tackles can be exposed in the pass game. Hubbard and Hendrickson need to be causing havoc.

I actually think Mecole Hardman's status could be a big deal. He's a speedster who can take the top off.

Chiefs don't tackle well in space. I expect Hurst to have a big game.

Chris Jones can be a game wrecker. Absolute stud. Needs to be doubled and accounted for every single down.

Their corners are young, big and athletic. Bengals should have a big advantage there however.

Kelce will get his. I think the Bengals can keep him somewhat in check.

How do I think the Bengals plan to win? Force Mahomes to dink and dunk down the field and hope he eventually gets frustrated and throws one to you. Count on your edges to expose Wylie/Brown in the pass game. Mix up coverages and make Mahomes think every down. Use Hilton as an irritant, and test Mahomes mobility with slot blitzes. Get stops in the red zone.

On the other side, I think we saw the plan against Buffalo. Get ahead, and then play physical in space. Hurst, Perine, Mixon smashing them in the short passing and run game and using the middle of the field in the intermediate game. I don't expect deep shots unless they're sideline go balls with this offensive line. Not with Jones looming in the middle.

I think the red zone battle decides this game. Both offenses are really good in the red zone, but the Bengals D is also good there while the Chiefs is mediocre.

Expect anxiety. This should be tight.

Seems you've watched more of them than me, but from what I have seen, I couldn't agree any more. Excellent synopsis.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
No rational reason to believe this, but I just have a gut feeling this is going to be a dominant Perrine game.

I think all the smoke about Mahomes is exactly that….smoke. He’ll do what he does and Joe B will do what he does. It’ll be a shoot out.

Turnovers win the game.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2023, 10:56 AM)Graphicguy Wrote: No rational reason to believe this, but I just have a gut feeling this is going to be a dominant Perrine game.

I think all the smoke about Mahomes is exactly that….smoke.  He’ll do what he does and Joe B will do what he does.  It’ll be a shoot out.

Turnovers win the game.

I really like Perine, Hurst and Mixon in this game. They're so physical, and absolutely the type of dudes you want in a 20 degree playoff game. New England won with guys like that for years and years. 

I think turnovers favor the Bengals. When's the last time Burrow had a legitimate bad ball INT that wasn't tipped or a miscommunication? BAL week 5? It's crazy. Other than a tipped ball etc, I trust #9 to not be giving KC extra possessions 
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2023, 10:56 AM)Graphicguy Wrote: Turnovers win the game.

And they can also lose games as well.   Smirk
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
Chiefs are better, but probably lack confidence against the Bengals.

Bengals are better and definitely have confidence against the Chiefs.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2023, 10:56 AM)Graphicguy Wrote: No rational reason to believe this, but I just have a gut feeling this is going to be a dominant Perrine game.

I think all the smoke about Mahomes is exactly that….smoke.  He’ll do what he does and Joe B will do what he does.  It’ll be a shoot out.

Turnovers win the game.

So your thoughts are Perine is going to be involved heavily into the passing game? He has had a couple screen scores this year. I think about our offense sharing the workload between Mixon and Perine because both are good at the position and it keeps the healthier. 

Reply/Quote
So, 27 points won this game last year. How many will it take to win this one, in your opinion? About the same? More? Less?
"Knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable. "
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2023, 11:23 AM)Science Friction Wrote: So, 27 points won this game last year. How many will it take to win this one, in your opinion? About the same?  More? Less?

Can't score less than 30 in this one.  
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2023, 11:03 AM)PDub80 Wrote: Chiefs are better, but probably lack confidence against the Bengals.

Bengals are better and definitely have confidence against the Chiefs.

This isn't being talked about enough. 

There are def psychological impacts of not being able to beat a team (0-3). 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2023, 10:16 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: ***
Bengals have better players on defense and offense. Honestly, its not really even that close. You could go position by position and the Bengals have better talent at 80% of the positions on the field.

Well, the Chiefs do have six all-pro players: 
  1. Kelce (unanimous choice, 50 of 50 first-team votes)
  2. Mahomes (1st team, 49 of 50 first-team votes)
  3. DT Chris Jones (first team, 49 of 50 first-team votes)
  4. Punter Tommy Townsend (first team)
  5. Center Creed Humphrey (second team, but 16 first-team votes)
  6. LG Joe Thuney (second team, but 16 first-team votes)
Their linebacker Nick Bolton received 3 first-team votes and CB L'Jarius Sneed received a second-team vote.

The Bengals have zero all-pros. They did have eight players who received second team votes (total second-team votes in parenthesis)
  1. Joe Brrrr  (15)
  2. Ja'Marr Chase (7)
  3. Germaine Pratt (4, but also only Bengals to get a first-team vote)
  4. Von Bell (3)
  5. Bates (1)
  6. Trent Taylor (1)
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2023, 11:37 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: This isn't being talked about enough. 

There are def psychological impacts of not being able to beat a team (0-3). 

100% agree!
Reply/Quote
I trust the Bengals offense more this year.... the 3rd and shorts were painful last season.

Key has always been to keep Mahomes in the pocket so with him slightly hobbled it will be harder to escape. I think Lou can maximize his gameplan and it will be tough for the Chiefs to get TD's in this one.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote