Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Competition for AJMcCarron>?
(05-19-2016, 08:43 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: You mean the defense? McCarron didn't do nearly enough to win. The defense is the only reason why we were even close to winning. If the defense didn't play lights out then it would have been a blowout of epic proportion.

A crappy SF qb has a crappy game and Cincinnati's QB didn't do enough to win?

Gabbert was a bad qb on a bad team. McCarron is a decent backup on a good team. The only thing I remember being positive in that game was Marvin Jones and Geno. The defense wasn't spectacular, Gabbert was just... Gabbert.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Imagine how many excuses folks would have had to come up with if Hill didn't fumble and we had actually won.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(05-20-2016, 12:59 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Imagine how many excuses folks would have had to come up with if Hill didn't fumble and we had actually won.

If we would have won it wouldn't have been because of McCarron. It would have been been because of the defense. McCarron was waaaaay more of a negative than a positive that game.
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2016, 01:01 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: If we would have won it wouldn't have been because of McCarron. It would have been been because of the defense. McCarron was waaaaay more of a negative than a positive that game.

I think he had the highest passer rating of any Bengal QB in a playoff game since Boomer Esiason. 

Reply/Quote
(05-20-2016, 12:47 AM)Benton Wrote: A crappy SF qb has a crappy game and Cincinnati's QB didn't do enough to win?

Gabbert was a bad qb on a bad team. McCarron is a decent backup on a good team. The only thing I remember being positive in that game was Marvin Jones and Geno. The defense wasn't spectacular, Gabbert was just... Gabbert.

4 3rd down conversions 192 passing yards and 0 scores when the ball started on the Bengals side of the field vs the 49ers. If the defense didn't play like it did we probably would have lost.
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2016, 01:06 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I think he had the highest passer rating of any Bengal QB in a playoff game since Boomer Esiason. 

That doesn't mean anything. If fumbles effected passer rating then he might have the lowest Bengals playoff passer rating.
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2016, 01:15 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: That doesn't mean anything. If fumbles effected passer rating then he might have the lowest Bengals playoff passer rating.

He lost 1 fumble. I think he also has as many playoff TD passes that any Bengal QB since Boomer. Don't know why you are trying to diminish what the kid did in only his 4th NFL start.  

Reply/Quote
(05-20-2016, 01:30 AM)bfine32 Wrote: He lost 1 fumble. I think he also has as many playoff TD passes that any Bengal QB since Boomer. Don't know why you are trying to diminish what the kid did in only his 4th NFL start.  

The "kid" played well enough to give his team a chance to win. Took the SB Champs into OT in DENVER!! Had Pitt beat, in the playoffs, right up til the fumble by Hill and the meltdown with both occurring in a matter of mere minutes.

Some may want to quit looking for faults in "the kid" and be thankful that Cincy and our fans actually have a competent 2nd string signal caller. Wts, he could/would be the starter on several other rosters.  ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2016, 01:30 AM)bfine32 Wrote: He lost 1 fumble. I think he also has as many playoff TD passes that any Bengal QB since Boomer. Don't know why you are trying to diminish what the kid did in only his 4th NFL start.  

Well I'm just saying what he did. He played horrible. He had what? 2 first downs in the first half of the game? The only time he scored a TD in the game was when the defense put him on the opponents side of the field. He was playing a horrible defense. If Ben wouldn't have went down we probably would have scored 3 points maybe 6, because McCarron has a VERY hard time scoring unless he's got an extremely short field position. He didn't play anywhere near even mediocre. You're just kidding yourself if you think he did.
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2016, 01:06 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I think he had the highest passer rating of any Bengal QB in a playoff game since Boomer Esiason. 

Are we really touting a 68.3 rating? That's about identical to the rating Dalton had against the Chargers (67.4). Dalton had 1TD, 2 int's and a fumble in that game. McCarron had 1 TD, an INT and 3 fumbles (1 lost). So either way you slice it, McC had multiple turnovers.

Are we all forgetting how badly Dalton was roasted for his 1 fumble in that game? So what's the difference?

A rare (for the playoffs) excellent performance by the defense is the only reason the offense was even still in the game after posting 0 points through 3+ quarters. I just find it interesting that McC is being applauded by some for having a very Dalton-like playoff game. 

The only difference is that McCarron saved what little good he did for the final quarter, and the defense was actually good enough for it to actually matter. But McC individually looked just like Dalton out there and has the stats to match.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2016, 11:26 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Are we really touting a 68.3 rating? That's about identical to the rating Dalton had against the Chargers (67.4). Dalton had 1TD, 2 int's and a fumble in that game. McCarron had 1 TD, an INT and 3 fumbles (1 lost). So either way you slice it, McC had multiple turnovers.

Are we all forgetting how badly Dalton was roasted for his 1 fumble in that game? So what's the difference?

A rare (for the playoffs) excellent performance by the defense is the only reason the offense was even still in the game after posting 0 points through 3+ quarters. I just find it interesting that McC is being applauded by some for having a very Dalton-like playoff game. 

The only difference is that McCarron saved what little good he did for the final quarter, and the defense was actually good enough for it to actually matter. But McC individually looked just like Dalton out there and has the stats to match.
I suppose the obvious difference is that one was making only his 4th ever NFL start and one was coming off his 3rd straight year as a starter. If Andy would have played "as bad" as McCarron did in his first playoff start we'd be talking about a playoff draught since 2011.

Reply/Quote
I'm actually a McCarron fan and I defended him earlier in this thread, but he was pure awful in the playoffs and it's kinda silly that people think otherwise just because we were in the game late.

Any QB could've had this offense in that game. Especially when the defense held the opponent to 15 points and forced multiple turnovers. People act like putting up 16 points took some kind of good or heroic effort. We were at home, facing an awful defense, with a full compliment of weapons for a change.

Maybe if McCarron hadn't been so awful for 3+ quarters, we wouldn't have spent this whole offseason bytching about Burfict, Pacman and Hill's fumble. If you want to give the guy a pass for it being only his 4th start, fine. I understand that. But don't paint him as a hero, either. He had an awful game.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2016, 11:38 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I'm actually a McCarron fan and I defended him earlier in this thread, but he was pure awful in the playoffs and it's kinda silly that people think otherwise just because we were in the game late.

Any QB could've had this offense in that game. Especially when the defense held the opponent to 15 points and forced multiple turnovers. People act like putting up 16 points took some kind of good or heroic effort. We were at home, facing an awful defense, with a full compliment of weapons for a change.

Maybe if McCarron hadn't been so awful for 3+ quarters, we wouldn't have spent this whole offseason bytching about Burfict, Pacman and Hill's fumble. If you want to give the guy a pass for it being only his 4th start, fine. I understand that. But don't paint him as a hero, either. He had an awful game.

Name the last Bengals QB who had a good playoff game. I won't mention any names but it's been more than 25 years.

AJM will improve and last year certainly gave him a taste of what it takes and he seems to be a guy who cares about the quality of job he does. That's more than can be said for guys like Manziel or RGIII.

Reply/Quote
(05-20-2016, 12:31 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: McCarron couldn't score any points until big Ben went down and the defense gave us amazing field position (both TDs we started on the Steelers side of the field, and one of which came from a huge PI call). The only reason we came back, or McCarron got any TDs was because the defense put him in a good position to. McCarron played pretty dreadful in that game.

Fine.  Harbor your bizarre little hatred.  I frankly don't give a ****.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(05-20-2016, 05:53 PM)McC Wrote: Fine.  Harbor your bizarre little hatred.  I frankly don't give a ****.

sorry you don't like the facts
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2016, 05:21 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Name the last Bengals QB who had a good playoff game. I won't mention any names but it's been more than 25 years.

AJM will improve and last year certainly gave him a taste of what it takes and he seems to be a guy who cares about the quality of job he does. That's more than can be said for guys like Manziel or RGIII.

Heck, even Boomer was bad in the playoffs, even if he had somewhat of an excuse. Honestly I think McC has a promising future as a top notch backup or maybe even a starter somewhere.
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2016, 11:12 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Heck, even Boomer was bad in the playoffs, even if he had somewhat of an excuse. Honestly I think McC has a promising future as a top notch backup or maybe even a starter somewhere.

Agreed. He'll be the backup here until his contract is up. If he really puts it together, he'll get a chance at a starting position somewhere. If he continues to be adequate, we'll probably resign him at a team favorable rate.

Reply/Quote
(05-16-2016, 03:27 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/05/16/titans-waive-zach-mettenberger/

Zach Mettenberger is available.

Not saying anything other than camp competition for backup spots.

Would be all for it.

Always want more competition.
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2016, 04:39 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Would be all for it.

Always want more competition.

Last that I read Cincy put in a claim for him but he ended up in San Diego.
Reply/Quote
Still blows me away how many people love McCarron like he's the next Tom Brady. Numbers don't support that. Nothing really does other than just wishful thinking.

Besides, if the Bengals were willing to bring in competition for McCarron, why does anyone else here think he's such a great player? The Bengals didn't trade him. Plus, he never really did anything to help the team.

"Oh well he clinched us a playoff spot!". I mean, not really. If the Bengals lose out in 2015, they're still in the same spot. Plus, it was a Blaine Gabbert led team and a depleted Ravens team that was on their 4th string QB. And the Bengals caused 6 turnovers.

But no. Let's not talk about that. It's all about the QB, right?
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote