Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Complete beat-down in all aspects
A complete beat-down on Monday Night Football, in front of the entire nation given that the World Series game was canceled.

Offense and Defense:

Browns offense had the ball for 37 minutes, to the Bengals 23. The Browns gained 440 yards, including rushing the ball for 172 yards, to the entire Bengals output of 229 with 36 on the ground. Chubb had over 100 yards and Brissett had a rating of 133.7 and was 17/22. Burrow's final line was not terrible (a final rating of 96 with the two late TDs), but the offensive line was overwhelmed by the Browns. Bengals sacked 5 times to the Browns being sacked twice. The inability to stop the run was so blatant that I suspect all Bengals fans lacked confidence we could stop the Browns on the 2-point try.

Special Teams: Bengals
1 FG attempt, missed
1 PAT missed
1 ball brought out of the endzone only to the 14 yard line.
3 of 4 punts terrible in terms of yardage or pinning the Browns back. One was 23 yards and one was 33 yards. Punts from near the 50 should have pinned the Browns back inside the 10, but none made it that far.
Reply/Quote
My thoughts after last night

Williams sucks
Huber sucks and is done
Mixon sucks and is done.
Macpherson now sucks, every FG is an adventure.
Mike Thomas sucks and shouldn't even be on the roster.
Defense can't get consistent QB pressure and when they don't its ugly.
Burrow can't take over a game, at least not behind this line.

Boyd is still a massive stud
Hayden Hurst should be used even more especially with Chase out

Season is on life support and the plug is about to be pulled.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2022, 08:59 AM)R3stangs Wrote: Boyd is still a massive stud

Absolutely, I have trouble comprehending how the coaching staff failed to game plan Hurst into a greater role.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
This one feels worse than any last season. They just got beat everywhere with another back up QB. Idk if it’s just a matchup nightmare because they also gave us our worse loss last year, but it’s scary.
Reply/Quote
Just like last year.

The Browns have our number for some reason.

I'm just glad we only have to play them twice a year.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2022, 08:59 AM)R3stangs Wrote: Williams sucks
Huber sucks and is done
Mixon sucks and is done

Agreed, these are my immediate reactions from the loss. If the Bengals want to contend, the offseason will need some bold roster moves and cutting ties with these three is a good start.
Reply/Quote
Huber is washed for sure.
Mixon is just bad right now, he can't make anyone miss, or break a tackle. He can't pass block at all. He is garbage as hell right now
Jonah Williams has been a huge disappointment this season, and last night was one of the worst performances I've seen at OT since the Cedric Ogbuehi days. It was pathetic.

I am really starting to question Taylors offensive philosophy. It seems odd to me that we have so much trouble scheming guys open. We have enough talent w/o Chase that we should at least be average on offense. Yesterday would probably not have been as bad if our RBs could make people miss. Those checkdowns to them were the correct call, because everyone else was covered down field. They just went down to the first defender to meet them.

I doubt we can fix it this season, but next year we 100% HAVE to fix the run game. Either change up the run plays, or maybe bring in a FB sometimes and use an I-Formation. IDK but the lack of a running game is killing us right now.

Season isn't over till it's over, but with the injuries starting to mount, it's not looking great.
It's easy to see the world in black and white. Grey? I don't know what to do with grey.

Reply/Quote
No Chase and it looks like 2020 all over again
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2022, 09:59 AM)Garrus Wrote: Huber is washed for sure.
Mixon is just bad right now, he can't make anyone miss, or break a tackle. He can't pass block at all. He is garbage as hell right now
Jonah Williams has been a huge disappointment this season, and last night was one of the worst performances I've seen at OT since the Cedric Ogbuehi days. It was pathetic.

I am really starting to question Taylors offensive philosophy. It seems odd to me that we have so much trouble scheming guys open. We have enough talent w/o Chase that we should at least be average on offense. Yesterday would probably not have been as bad if our RBs could make people miss. Those checkdowns to them were the correct call, because everyone else was covered down field. They just went down to the first defender to meet them.

I doubt we can fix it this season, but next year we 100% HAVE to fix the run game. Either change up the run plays, or maybe bring in a FB sometimes and use an I-Formation. IDK but the lack of a running game is killing us right now.

Season isn't over till it's over, but with the injuries starting to mount, it's not looking great.
Just starting to question it?
Reply/Quote
[quote='R3stangs' pid='1273670' dateline='1667303993']
My thoughts after last night

Williams sucks
Huber sucks and is done
Mixon sucks and is done.
Macpherson now sucks, every FG is an adventure.
Mike Thomas sucks and shouldn't even be on the roster.
Defense can't get consistent QB pressure and when they don't its ugly.
Burrow is a slightly above average QB who can't take over a game, at least not behind this line.

Boyd is still a massive stud

Season is on life support and the plug is about to be pulled.

I don't know that Hurst wasn't part of the game plan. Hard to tell what the plan is when Burrow is pressured so heavily that plays don't have time to develop. 
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2022, 08:39 AM)Nepa Wrote: A complete beat-down on Monday Night Football, in front of the entire nation given that the World Series game was canceled.

Offense and Defense:  

Browns offense had the ball for 37 minutes, to the Bengals 23. The Browns gained 440 yards, including rushing the ball for 172 yards, to the entire Bengals output of 229 with 36 on the ground. Chubb had over 100 yards and Brissett had a rating of 133.7 and was 17/22. Burrow's final line was not terrible (a final rating of 96 with the two late TDs), but the offensive line was overwhelmed by the Browns. Bengals sacked 5 times to the Browns being sacked twice. The inability to stop the run was so blatant that I suspect all Bengals fans lacked confidence we could stop the Browns on the 2-point try.

Special Teams: Bengals
1 FG attempt, missed
1 ball brought out of the endzone only to the 14 yard line.
3 of 4 punts terrible in terms of yardage or pinning the Browns back. One was 23 yards and one was 33 yards. Punts from near the 50 should have pinned the Browns back inside the 10, but none made it that far.

I agree that our offense was once again trash and our Special Teams continues to be terrible this year. I think our run defense actually played really well against the Browns though.

Chubb only had 101 yards on 23 carries (4.4) which is over a yard below his yearly average. We held the Brows, who have the #1 rush attack in the league to 3.9ypc on 44 rushes. That is fantastic. 

Obviously our passing defense played poor but that's what happens when you're down one of your starting corners and then lose two more in the middle of the game, including your best. 
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2022, 09:22 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: This one feels worse than any last season. They just got beat everywhere with another back up QB. Idk if it’s just a matchup nightmare because they also gave us our worse loss last year, but it’s scary.

they out muscle us every time. The D and O Lines are WAY better which always equals  a V for them. ...and then throw in Chubb and its over .
3 AFC N losses will be hard to overcome 
Reply/Quote
Ugh. I totally thought the offseason revamped OL would have us playing the like Bills. Instead, we're just an average NFL team who can have flashes of complete failure or stellar game play from week to week.
Reply/Quote
Agree Hurst should have been used more, he seemed to be the only one who had any fight in him early as well.

If we are keeping Huber just for his experience in holding for FG's then it's time to rethink that decision.

To Mike Thomas' defense, that pass did hit him in a bad spot, right in his hands. Kind of like him whiffing on the punt returner who was standing still and allowing a huge return a week or so ago. ST's is not played well enough this year to justify keeping some of these guys as our only WR depth. They seem complacent and would rather have guys who are hungry to prove themself on ST's and upgrade the #4 WR spot .

Mixon and Bates I wanted to move on from and still feel the same. Said many times to draft or add a stud back in off season and use Bates $13 million on a O-line upgrade or another pass rusher. Can both turn it around ? yes but not sure it will happen, but we're riding with them now and it's too late until offseason.

McPhearson looks like a different kicker this year but sometimes wonder if it was all the going for it on 4th down all year that never allowed him to really get in his groove. He is not even averaging 2 FG attempts a game and on this high powered offense that is nothing. Now his confidence seems shook and just got to hope he can come out of it.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2022, 09:02 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Absolutely, I have trouble comprehending how the coaching staff failed to game plan Hurst into a greater role.

Is that on ZT or Burrow?

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2022, 10:58 AM)jeremydc Wrote: Is that on ZT or Burrow?

Neither, last night it was the oline. He was harassed all night long. 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2022, 10:58 AM)Go Cards Wrote: *** To Mike Thomas' defense, that pass did hit him in a bad spot, right in his hands. ***

Hilarious Thanks for the LOL on such a gloomy day.
Reply/Quote
I can’t help but wonder. How productive could this team be with a really good coaching staff ? Primarily speaking,Head Coach.

Taylor just doesn’t get it.I don’t know if he’s just stubborn,or maybe his ego is getting in the way,or what it is.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2022, 09:59 AM)Garrus Wrote: Huber is washed for sure.

Honestly, did a single Bengal play well?

I can't name any.

Pratt got owned. He missed a sack where he had a free run because Brissett pump faked him. I saw him getting knocked around on blocks.
Reply/Quote
I'm one who has defended the keeping of Mike Thomas for his ST play. When other suggested we'd be in a pickle if one of the top 3 went down; I countered with there will be plenty of pass catchers available. If this team doesn't sign a WR who can stretch the field this week, then they are not going to do very well.

There are a number of speed merchants available. Hell bring back John Ross, do something..
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote