Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Compromised OL Off season plan
(01-24-2022, 10:06 AM)Interceptor Wrote: We need a beast rookie at RT/RG and a veteran at the remaining position. At the very least get a beast FB.
The beast FB is Ricard of the Ravens.

Hurts Ravens and the man can back up DT too.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
New here. first post.

I think we have to go all in on Armstead in FA. It's not often a top 5 LT becomes available. Jonahs has versatility so we can have him compete at RT with the kids we draft. I think Max Mitchell is a gem in the 2nd or 3rd round. He looks like a guy that can play right away and that would allow us to move Williams to LG which I think is his ideal position. I was playing around on PFF mock simulator and this is how our line came out.

LT- Armstead (fa)
LG- Williams
C- Hopkins J. Patterson (rd4)
RG-Carmen
RT- M. Mitchell (rd2) L. Goedeke (rd5)
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2022, 11:43 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: The beast FB is Ricard of the Ravens.

Hurts Ravens and the man can back up DT too.

Oh, he IS a FA. Damn, we should grab him. Nice skill set.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(01-01-2022, 01:10 PM)kalibengal Wrote: Yes please let some of this happen....I have feeling however that they stick with Hopkins. 
and for the love of god, can we at least attempt to bring in a real game changer at TE? either via draft, trade or FA? 

Yyyyyyy all the tight end talk lmfao this offense does not feature one we have 4 amazing weapons uzomah is good no need to spend a pick let alone money on an upgrade there. The only offensive upgrade this team needs is on the offensive line. Nowhere else. U can get rid of Perine too actually but that is it. Anything else is nonsense. Maybe a late round wide receiver. But the focus should be olineman first and foremost the entire off season. Not tight end or an elite one at that cmon my goodness
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2022, 09:38 PM)JoyrideJoe15 Wrote: Yyyyyyy all the tight end talk lmfao this offense does not feature one we have 4 amazing weapons uzomah is good no need to spend a pick let alone money on an upgrade there. The only offensive upgrade this team needs is on the offensive line. Nowhere else. U can get rid of Perine too actually but that is it. Anything else is nonsense. Maybe a late round wide receiver. But the focus should be olineman first and foremost the entire off season. Not tight end or an elite one at that cmon my goodness

100% agree. CJ has emerged as a leader and a great target for the team. He will be on top of their resign list this off-season. I am all for upgrading the backup running back position. Give me 3 olinemen and a replace the Waynes contract with a good CB and no can stop this team.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 07:59 AM)Australiabengalsfan Wrote: 100% agree. CJ has emerged as a leader and a great target for the team. He will be on top of their resign list this off-season. I am all for upgrading the backup running back position. Give me 3 olinemen and a replace the Waynes contract with a good CB and no can stop this team.

I would not pay big money to a backup RB or a backup quarterback.  Those two spots are place that you can't waste money if you want to put more resources into the OL.  

I think Evans is on his way to being a fine 3rd down back if he can stay healthy.  You can draft another if that's not enough.  I see nothing from Brandon Allen to justify paying him backup vet qb money over drafting a rookie qb to sit behind Joe and groom.  
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 12:18 PM)samhain Wrote: I would not pay big money to a backup RB or a backup quarterback.  Those two spots are place that you can't waste money if you want to put more resources into the OL.  

I think Evans is on his way to being a fine 3rd down back if he can stay healthy.  You can draft another if that's not enough.  I see nothing from Brandon Allen to justify paying him backup vet qb money over drafting a rookie qb to sit behind Joe and groom.  

I would not pay big money for a back up running back either. however Perine needs to be handed his papers. I think we can do alot better than Perine back there. also to ur point with Evans I think if healthy he can not only be our third down back but he I think has the talent to be a rotational peace in a two headed monster backfield. Evans is special. Also I say late round like the 6th we go nab Coan if he’s still there and see what he can do behind burrow over time being groomed. But to suggest tight end or WR(not saying you did) in the first let alone the second or even 3rd round baffles me. This team is desperate up front on both sides especially offensive line. How many years do we need to lead the league in sacks after our qb was just assaulted the year before. We are also desperate on the Dline and desperate for pass rush. Depending on what we do in FA those need to be our top priorities before even considering anything else.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2022, 12:05 PM)MikeOxlong Wrote: New here. first post.

I think we have to go all in on Armstead in FA. It's not often a top 5 LT becomes available. Jonahs has versatility so we can have him compete at RT with the kids we draft. I think Max Mitchell is a gem in the 2nd or 3rd round. He looks like a guy that can play right away and that would allow us to move Williams to LG which I think is his ideal position. I was playing around on PFF mock simulator and this is how our line came out.

LT- Armstead (fa)
LG- Williams
RG-Carmen

Love this but my biggest concern on the oline is Center. And poor center play can trickle across the entire offensive line. Sign Kelce or Allen to add to that mix and u got a deal.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 04:06 PM)JoyrideJoe15 Wrote: I would not pay big money for a back up running back either.  however Perine needs to be handed his papers.  I think we can do alot better than Perine back there.  also to ur point  with Evans I think if healthy he can not only be our third down back but he I think has the talent to be a rotational peace in a two headed monster backfield.  Evans is special. Also I say late round like the 6th we go nab Coan if he’s still there and see what he can do behind burrow over time being groomed.  But to suggest tight end or WR(not saying you did) in the first let alone the second or even 3rd round baffles me.  This team is desperate up front on both sides especially offensive line.  How many years do we need to lead the league in sacks after our qb was just assaulted the year before.  We are also desperate on the Dline and desperate for pass rush.  Depending on what we do in FA those need to be our top priorities before even considering anything else.

I worded that poorly.  I was actually agreeing with you.  

I think Ossai brings something to the table on the outside when he returns.  I also think we have good ends in Trey and Sam.  They'll absolutely need a new DT because there's little to no chance that they can afford to bring back both Ogunjobi and Hill.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2022, 11:42 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: We have the cap money. We need to sign 2 vet starters for the OL. Scherff should be priority #1 1 for both our passing and running game. Then, develop the young guys we have now and add a couple in the draft in rounds 3 and 4. That would give us the ability to go defense with pick #1 and #2 in the draft. Our defense has improved, but we need more talent on the DL to help Trey and Hubbard. and Reader.

I would also sign Hill, he has been a great addition.

Good post. 

In terms of tackles, I just do not see us paying LT money for a FA. I don't think they are gonna give up on Jonah yet as a LT. He was certainly above average this year, and finally did not have a dumpster next to him.  

I think Moses is the correct choice if we are gonna sign a FA RT. But I am not sure any of the FAs are that much better than a still adequate, but declining Reiff. And I do see us spending $15-$20 mil on a RT.  Brown is a pro-bowler, but left Baltimore because he wanted to play LT. The others are good  not great  and mostly LTs. 

This is a pretty decent OT class. Neal and Ekwongu top it, along with Cross. But there is some late first/second round depth.  Some teams will see Green as an OT instead of OG. Penning goes late first in most mocks I see. And I have even seen Faalele, Raimann, and the kid from Kentucky (Kinnard) in a couple late firsts. Overall I see 10-11 guys with round 2 or better grades who can play OT. 

I think if we can ink Reiff for reasonable, we go into the draft focused on RT in Rd 1-2. Even if we whiff, we'd still have someone who is adequate. 

I'd try yo make the bigger FA splash inside. The draft is thinner beyond Linderbaum, Green, and Zion Johnson (Rd 2). Scherff is probably too rich for our blood.  I really like Daniels from Chicago. I fear we will trust Pollack to fix Carman/Adeniji and we do nothing. I'd re-sign Spain.  

I'd make a run at all three of those centers. If Brady retires, Jensen could move on from Tampa. For $8-10 mil we should be able to significantly upgrade over Hopkins, and release him to offset $6 mil+ of that cost. 
Reply/Quote
It should be a very fruitful off-season. They are projected to be top five in cap space sitting right around 60 million and that’s before they cut Waynes. While Bates, CJ, BJ Hill, Spain, Pratt, and even Apple are in for pay increases, the Bengals should look very healthy heading into free agency. Post resigning their own IMO they just need to upgrade at C, RG, RT on O and CB2 on D. While I’d love to add a stud RT I think the options are very limited and they will likely not move Williams from the left side. The best option maybe to resign or sign a vet like Reiff and take another stab in the draft for that position. The interior Oline will have a lot more options should they decide to spend on that position. The evaluation on a guy like Hopkins will be very interesting if they can land a Ryan Jensen, Brain Allen, or even trade up for Linderbaum that would immediately upgrade this line.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 06:28 PM)samhain Wrote: I worded that poorly.  I was actually agreeing with you.  

I think Ossai brings something to the table on the outside when he returns.  I also think we have good ends in Trey and Sam.  They'll absolutely need a new DT because there's little to no chance that they can afford to bring back both Ogunjobi and Hill.

I agree with you on Ossai. But we’ve only seen such a small sample size at this level so it’s tough to gauge how if at all effective he may be. I like Sam and Hendrickson together but when Hendrickson goes down our pass rush disappears. That scares me and our defense number 1 focus should always be “affect the qb”. I agree we need help in the middle and I’d like to keep gill over ogunjobi if I had to chose. I say take Jordan Davis in 1 and come back in 3 and grab Adam Anderson from Georgia as well to come off the edge with Ossai Hendrickson Hubbard and sample. I’d feel a lot better with something like that done.
Reply/Quote
think wee need to do better than having Reiff as our starter going into the season. be a quality backup
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2022, 05:47 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: think wee need to do better than having Reiff as our starter going into the season. be a quality backup

Agreed. Reiff is willing to play guard as well so Reiff as a back up swing tackle along with someone we can put at guard as well would be huge. But please either trade for Becton or sign Moses. Keep reiff as a back up would be perfect behind Jonah and either Becton or Moses
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2022, 12:05 PM)MikeOxlong Wrote: New here. first post.

LT- Armstead (fa)
LG- Williams
RG-Carmen

So,

You have 1 guy in a position where he's proven he can play (Armstead) and a bunch of other guys that have never played in the NFL or haven't played that position.

This is a horrible solution for the o-line.  It's worse than what we had this year.
Reply/Quote
With Williams likely manning the LT position, the Bengals are likely not in play for Terron Armstead, Orlando Brown, Eric Fisher, and Duane Brown. As it stands now these players make up the top four free agent tackles per PFF.

Morgan Moses, Trenton Brown, and Riley Reiff are currently 5, 6, and 7 in the same rankings. After a somewhat unsuccessful stint with the Raiders Brown was reunited via a trade with his former team and will likely be a top priority for them to resign. The most intriguing free agent to me is Moses who offers a slight upgrade from Reiff and is younger, more durable, and would command a similar salary. If they miss on Moses, Reiff and 1st rounder could be the best option for the Bengals.

The wild card for me is Cam Robinson. He had a pretty good season for the Jags while playing on the left side. If Cam can switch to The right side, a potential reunion of Alabama teammates could be a solid option. While I’d love for Cincy to land Moses I think the more likely scenario is they go Reiff and pair him with a draft pick.
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2022, 01:23 PM)Australiabengalsfan Wrote: With Williams likely manning the LT position, the Bengals are likely not in play for Terron Armstead, Orlando Brown, Eric Fisher, and Duane Brown. As it stands now these players make up the top four free agent tackles per PFF.

Morgan Moses, Trenton Brown, and Riley Reiff are currently 5, 6, and 7 in the same rankings. After a somewhat unsuccessful stint with the Raiders Brown was reunited via a trade with his former team and will likely be a top priority for them to resign. The most intriguing free agent to me is Moses who offers a slight upgrade from Reiff and is  younger,  more durable, and would command a similar salary. If they miss on Moses, Reiff and 1st rounder could be the best option for the Bengals.

The wild card for me is Cam Robinson. He had a pretty good season for the Jags while playing on the left side. If Cam can switch to The right side, a potential reunion of Alabama teammates could be a solid option. While I’d love for Cincy to land Moses I think the more likely scenario is they go Reiff and pair him with a draft pick.

Great post. The Free Agent options for Right Tackle is very limited and I agree it's going to come down to an early round draft pick.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-29-2022, 01:36 PM)Synric Wrote: Great post. The Free Agent options for Right Tackle is very limited and I agree it's going to come down to an early round draft pick.

Thank you! The good news is the IOL market looks pretty decent!
Reply/Quote
I think the budgeting for free agency will be a massive key for Cincinnati. They currently have 58 million to spend and could add 17 more by parting ways with Waynes and Hopkins. That would put them at the top of the league in terms of cap space around 75 mil. They will likely spend half of that number on internal free agents. That should leave the roughly 35 million to spend on FA and the Draft. That leaves them with roughly 28 million to spend in free agency should they go up against the cap.
Options:
Best case IMO: Jensen 10 mil, Tomlinson 9 mil, Moses 7.5 mil
Best value: Brian Allen 7 mil, Connor Williams/Norwell 6.5 mil, Reiff 5.5 mil. Leaving 9 million for CB2
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2022, 01:03 AM)Australiabengalsfan Wrote: I think the budgeting for free agency will be a massive key for Cincinnati. They currently have 58 million to spend and could add 17 more by parting ways with Waynes and Hopkins. That would put them at the top of the league in terms of cap space around 75 mil. They will likely spend half of that number on internal free agents. That should leave the roughly 35 million to spend on FA and the Draft. That leaves them with roughly 28 million to spend in free agency should they go up against the cap.
Options:
Best case IMO: Jensen 10 mil, Tomlinson 9 mil, Moses 7.5 mil
Best value: Brian Allen 7 mil, Connor Williams/Norwell 6.5 mil, Reiff 5.5 mil. Leaving 9 million for CB2

There are so many ways to be creative with the cap. You see teams sign guys for 4 years for 60 million, yet have a 10 million versus 15 million cap hit in year one.

My point is with creativity we could create more capp space in 2022 if we desired or we could do the straight up contracts and cap hits.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote