Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Confederate monuments are ok, but lynching memorial monuments are going too far
(05-03-2018, 08:36 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Would you support Jim Crowe laws if "the citizenry agreed"?

Thats the way it worked, you know.

I think the fact that we are no longer under Jim Crowe laws speaks for itself. 

But to answer the question: Yes, I would support the citizen's rights to practice such laws although I would personally be against such measures. I don't pretend that my desires outweigh those of society.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(05-03-2018, 03:51 PM)bfine32 Wrote: But to answer the question: Yes, I would support the citizen's rights to practice such laws although I would personally be against such measures. I don't pretend that my desires outweigh those of society.

Too bad you live in a country that refuses to allow the majority to oppress minorities.

Maybe you need to find a "society" that allows the majority to oppress the minorities.  I am sure you would be much happier there.........as long as you were part of the majority.
(05-04-2018, 11:16 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Too bad you live in a country that refuses to allow the majority to oppress minorities.

Maybe you need to find a "society" that allows the majority to oppress the minorities.  I am sure you would be much happier there.........as long as you were part of the majority.

Fred, did you not say earlier that unjust laws don't exist as the legislature elected by the people draft such laws and the elected POTUS signs them?  I mean, you did literally tell me this, as I reminded you earlier in this thread.
(05-03-2018, 11:16 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: You've already stated you would.  I pointed out that opposition to an unjust law is justifiable in the mass shootings thread.  Your response;

You're not allowed to decide if a law is unjust in Fredtoast's world, hence you would support Jim Crowe.  Odd, I asked you directly about that in my reply and yet you never responded.  The mind bottles as to why. Hmm

Actually I said that I would fight against those laws any way I could.  Through court battles or elections.  

I would never just claim that I could follow whatever law I wanted.  If I did chose not to follow a law I felt was unjust I would admit that I was a criminal for doing it.  That is the problem I had with your position.  You claimed that you could decide which laws to follow and that would not make you a criminal.

I never said you could not decide if a law was unjust.  I just said that you have to challenge the law through legal means instead of just saying "I am not a criminal if I don't follow the laws I don't like."
(05-04-2018, 11:24 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Fred, did you not say earlier that unjust laws don't exist as the legislature elected by the people draft such laws and the elected POTUS signs them?  I mean, you did literally tell me this, as I reminded you earlier in this thread.

No.  I never said anything like that.  I said that unjust laws have to be challenged through legal means instead of just letting every individual decide which laws he wants to follow.

If I was alive in the South during the Jim Crow era I would do what I could to change the law, but I would never claim that I could just pick and chose whatever law I wanted to follow.

I am 100% opposed to complete anarchy.
(05-04-2018, 11:16 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Too bad you live in a country that refuses to allow the majority to oppress minorities.

There's really no need to go Full Fred. I clearly said I would be personally against such a thing. But don't let actual words get in the way of your desire to slur someone.

(05-04-2018, 11:29 AM)fredtoast Wrote: No.  I never said anything like that.  I said that unjust laws have to be challenged through legal means instead of just letting every individual decide which laws he wants to follow.

If I was alive in the South during the Jim Crow era I would do what I could to change the law, but I would never claim that I could just pick and chose whatever law I wanted to follow.

I am 100% opposed to complete anarchy.

So you would support (uphold a right) laws such as Jim Crowe in a society as you fought to change them. Hell I said the exact same think and someone in the forum more concerned with insulting than discussing said I would be happier in a society where minorities were oppressed.