Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Confidence in Religion at New Low
(06-24-2015, 12:55 AM)Benton Wrote: But... we do.

We have dominion. We, more than any other species, have an ability to affect the world around us. Directly and indirectly, intentionally and unintentionally, we control the environment with the decisions we make. Or fail to make. There are too many of us and we have too big a footprint to think otherwise.

Religion, at least Christianity, calls on man to be a good steward. To be responsible. We haven't been. That has nothing to do with Christianity. The Catholic Church has advocated better stewardship for at least a century.

He's convinced that "dominion" means humans are more important than any other species. While there may be some that believe that way (Christian and non, btw), it was a convenient way for him to misappropriate negativity on something he doesn't believe in. Regardless, good answer. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
(06-24-2015, 01:05 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: He's convinced that "dominion" means humans are more important than any other species. While there may be some that believe that way (Christian and non, btw), it was a convenient way for him to misappropriate negativity on something he doesn't believe in. Regardless, good answer. 

I suppose its an act of purest optimism to point out there are TWO creation stories in the Bible?

http://www.leighb.com/genesis.htm

(
Quote:Section 3: Man and woman are created)

26And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
   27So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.
   28And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.

I pretty sure the second one does not give man dominion over everything...its late and I'm not going to search for the entire passage.

But the two stories have the creation of things in a different order:

http://bible-wonderings.blogspot.com/2006/01/two-creation-stories.html

Rock On
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(06-24-2015, 01:21 AM)GMDino Wrote: I pretty sure the second one does not give man dominion over everything...its late and I'm not going to search for the entire passage.

That's probably for the best because if you did take the time to read it, you'd realize this dude probably belongs in the group that OMUTJB referenced; the one's that read something and create something that's different and not there. 

Let me know if you ever decide to read Genesis 1 and 2 and let me know what your reasoning tells you.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
What the heck. I'll save you some time.

Just read this. http://www.gotquestions.org/two-Creation-accounts.html

Of course, you can just go on believing that the author of Genesis was just too stupid to realize that he had just contradicted himself one chapter after writing the first chapter in the book. Which means that every printing and translation from the beginning was just left there, "contradiction" in place, because it was....too hard?....to simply change or remove it.

If you want to believe either of those...no need to finish this sentence.

(06-24-2015, 02:44 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: That's probably for the best because if you did take the time to read it, you'd realize this dude probably belongs in the group that OMUTJB referenced; the one's that read something and create something that's different and not there. 

Let me know if you ever decide to read Genesis 1 and 2 and let me know what your reasoning tells you.

(06-24-2015, 02:56 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: What the heck. I'll save you some time.

Just read this. http://www.gotquestions.org/two-Creation-accounts.html

Of course, you can just go on believing that the author of Genesis was just too stupid to realize that he had just contradicted himself one chapter after writing the first chapter in the book. Which means that every printing and translation from the beginning was just left there, "contradiction" in place, because it was....too hard?....to simply change or remove it.

If you want to believe either of those...no need to finish this sentence.

K.

I read both quite awhile ago and read some discussion on why there were two.  Two different authors if I remember correctly.  And I used to remember the reason they left both in but I'd have to go read about it again as you suggested.

I wasn't trying to say anyone contradicted or pass judgement (this time) but rather point out that "dominion" shows up in the one story that most people know.  Even non-Christians.

Rock On
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.