Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Congrats Tomlin
The only coach in NFL history to start 15 years in a row without a losing record.

[Image: FIO4b_FWQAInEEn?format=jpg&name=medium]
[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2022, 01:23 PM)BengalYankee Wrote: The only coach in NFL history to start 15 years in a row without a losing record.

He can go eat a bag of dicks. Mellow

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2022, 10:46 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: He can go eat a bag of dicks. Mellow

[Image: carson-palmer.jpg] Mellow
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2022, 04:24 AM)BengalYankee Wrote: [Image: carson-palmer.jpg] Mellow

The hell with your Steelers.  The hell with your New York Yankees.  The hell with your insult of Carson Palmer here.  Why are you even on Bengals Site, YOU TROLL.   

Tiger Who Dey Tiger Who Dey Tiger
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
I think you're doing the smack thing wrong. Mellow

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-11-2022, 11:24 AM)Wyche Wrote: I think you're doing the smack thing wrong. Mellow

I respect Tomlin, but hate the Steelers. Pitt Sux
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2022, 11:24 AM)Wyche Wrote: I think you're doing the smack thing wrong. Mellow

He's doing a Toobin. He's smacking himself. Good thing this isn't Zoom. 
Reply/Quote

I'm just here to see the battle between Kev and BY. Popcorn  

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2022, 11:27 AM)BengalYankee Wrote: I respect Tomlin, but hate the Steelers. Pitt Sux

TBH, this probably would have been better in Around the NFL or the AFC North sub-forum.  Rock On

Reply/Quote
(01-10-2022, 01:23 PM)BengalYankee Wrote: The only coach in NFL history to start 15 years in a row without a losing record.

I wonder if that has anything to do with Ben having 18 straight non-losing seasons?  Mellow

Tomlin has one without Ben.  And that was a weak schedule and the Defense was really good.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Warning: Reading signatures may hurt your feelings.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2022, 12:25 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: TBH, this probably would have been better in Around the NFL or the AFC North sub-forum.  Rock On

Yeah, you are right, but those forums people rarely visit ...

[Image: A1xE.gif]
Reply/Quote
crap hes been there for 15 years....

*looks in mirror*

CRAP!
Reply/Quote
Well when you are practically guaranteed half of the wins necessary by two teams in your division, it's not all that difficult.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(01-11-2022, 12:28 PM)GMDino Wrote: I wonder if that has anything to do with Ben having 18 straight non-losing seasons?  Mellow

Tomlin has one without Ben.  And that was a weak schedule and the Defense was really good.

For the record, Ben has years of ... 

7 - 8
and
0 - 2

If I was Tomlin, I would retire after the playoffs and go down as the only HC without a losing record for 15 years in the NFL.

He has done wonders with that crappy roster[smack talk], but he's bound to have losing records in the AFC North. He won't be able to sweep the Ravens and Browns every year, but he will be swept by the Bengals with that roster of his. 
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2022, 12:22 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I'm just here to see the battle between Kev and BY. Popcorn  

[Image: 1c093511583b48e7980659e776242e14.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2022, 07:35 PM)BengalYankee Wrote: For the record, Ben has years of ... 

7 - 8
and
0 - 2

If I was Tomlin, I would retire after the playoffs and go down as the only HC without a losing record for 15 years in the NFL.

He has done wonders with that crappy roster[smack talk], but he's bound to have losing records in the AFC North. He won't be able to sweep the Ravens and Browns every year, but he will be swept by the Bengals with that roster of his. 

lol...0-2.

I've watched Steelers football my entire life.  I supported Tomlin through all the "Rooney Rule" arguments and racism.  But in the end if he had be as good a coach as the Yinzers think this team wouldn't have floundered like they did in the playoffs and would have a couple more Super Bowl wins.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2022, 10:44 AM)GMDino Wrote: lol...0-2.

I've watched Steelers football my entire life.  I supported Tomlin through all the "Rooney Rule" arguments and racism.  But in the end if he had be as good a coach as the Yinzers think this team wouldn't have floundered like they did in the playoffs and would have a couple more Super Bowl wins.

I think anyone who makes this assumption vastly underestimates how hard it is to win a Super Bowl.  

In the 21st century, only two coaches have won more than one Super Bowl - Tom Coughlin and Bill Belichick.  Andy Reid and Pete Caroll are the only other coaches who (like Tomlin) have even been to the big game more than once in the 2000s.   

There have been 13 coaches in league history who have won more SBs than Tomlin, but by my count, only four of them accomplished the feat in the era of free agency and salary caps.  Winning multiple championships became much harder after those things were established.

As Steeler fans who remember Chuck Noll and modern fans who have watched Bill Belichick, we are lulled into the fallacy of thinking that winning multiple Super Bowls is a realistic goal.  But in reality, it's a very rare feat, made even more rare over the last few decades.  Belichick's success is way more of an outlier than most give him credit for.  

I'm not saying that Tomlin is without his faults.  Far from it.  But if you're going to say that a better coach would have won more Super Bowls than he has, I'd argue that history suggests there aren't too many of those guys out there.  
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2022, 11:49 AM)JS-Steelerfan Wrote: I think anyone who makes this assumption vastly underestimates how hard it is to win a Super Bowl.  

In the 21st century, only two coaches have won more than one Super Bowl - Tom Coughlin and Bill Belichick.  Andy Reid and Pete Caroll are the only other coaches who (like Tomlin) have even been to the big game more than once in the 2000s.   

There have been 13 coaches in league history who have won more SBs than Tomlin, but by my count, only four of them accomplished the feat in the era of free agency and salary caps.  Winning multiple championships became much harder after those things were established.  

As Steeler fans who remember Chuck Noll and modern fans who have watched Bill Belichick, we are lulled into the fallacy of thinking that winning multiple Super Bowls is a realistic goal.  But in reality, it's a very rare feat, made even more rare over the last few decades.  Belichick's success is way more of an outlier than most give him credit for.  

I'm not saying that Tomlin is without his faults.  Far from it.  But if you're going to say that a better coach would have won more Super Bowls than he has, I'd argue that history suggests there aren't too many of those guys out there.  

I'm not saying it's "easy" I'm saying they would have done better.

And you bring up the reason why:  Tomlin has his faults...and they are the same he's had for years.

He's bad at clock management, making challenges, the teams start out slow more often than not, he makes poor choices at the coordinator positions, he claims to "not live in his fears" and then coaches from his fears, he's one of the few coaches that still doesn't have someone helping him with situational calls because he likes to "coach from his gut", the list goes on and on.  And without Ben bailing the team out time after time there wouldn't be this silly talk about "non-losing seasons".

Would Detroit or Cleveland or a dozen other teams LOVE to not have a losing season for a decade?  Sure.  Would they still be without a Super Bowl (and with 3 playoff wins) and happy about it after a decade?  Probably not.

I'm not in the "fire" camp...I'm in the realistically looking at it camp.  He has his faults and they never get better.  Win or lose he's the same coach.  He seems to get credit for the wins and excuses made for the losses simply because they win more than they lose....and I don't think those results are because he's a great coach.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2022, 12:56 PM)GMDino Wrote: I'm not saying it's "easy" I'm saying they would have done better.

And you bring up the reason why:  Tomlin has his faults...and they are the same he's had for years.

He's bad at clock management, making challenges, the teams start out slow more often than not, he makes poor choices at the coordinator positions, he claims to "not live in his fears" and then coaches from his fears, he's one of the few coaches that still doesn't have someone helping him with situational calls because he likes to "coach from his gut", the list goes on and on.  And without Ben bailing the team out time after time there wouldn't be this silly talk about "non-losing seasons".

Would Detroit or Cleveland or a dozen other teams LOVE to not have a losing season for a decade?  Sure.  Would they still be without a Super Bowl (and with 3 playoff wins) and happy about it after a decade?  Probably not.

I'm not in the "fire" camp...I'm in the realistically looking at it camp.  He has his faults and they never get better.  Win or lose he's the same coach.  He seems to get credit for the wins and excuses made for the losses simply because they win more than they lose....and I don't think those results are because he's a great coach.

Fair enough, but besides Belichick, which currently active coaches do you think would do better?  We could debate those names, but one fact remains:not a single one of them (again, aside from Belichick) HAS done better.  
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2022, 01:27 PM)JS-Steelerfan Wrote: Fair enough, but besides Belichick, which currently active coaches do you think would do better?  We could debate those names, but one fact remains:not a single one of them (again, aside from Belichick) HAS done better.  

We'll never know.  

It's like when someone asks who do you replace him with if he retires or (not even going to happen) gets fired:  I have no idea.

But I didn't know who Tomlin was when they hired him either.  Or Cowher.

But I could reverse the question and ask how many other currently active coaches had a QB like Ben for their entire coaching careers? Or had Troy and Harrison and Keisel and Smith all on defense?  Or had Dick LeBeau? 

Tomlin walked into a stable franchise on the rise again with a cache of experienced coaches around him.  As they left (or got retired) the success of the team beyond "non-losing seasons" dropped off.  Add in the quality of the players being brought in/drafted also wasn't as good...and Tomlin had say in that too...and you get a team that does well in the preseason (where most of the time they get 3-4 wins from Cleveland and Cincinnati every season...lol) but gets out matched/out coached in the playoffs.

Of course there are all kinds of excuses/circumstances like injuries and bad calls or whatever but if Tomlin gets credit for "great coaching" when they win they we have to also examine what he's doing when they lose.

Just my humble opinion.
Reply/Quote