Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Congrats Tomlin
(01-12-2023, 06:37 PM)michaelsean Wrote: And Sanchez.  It would be weird though to have the longest streak of not winning the playoffs, and then matching a team like the Steelers playoff wins over 12 years.  Obviously a cherry picked span, so a little weird.

Edit: I think Sanchez was 2009 so not in the last 12 years, but next door.

(01-12-2023, 10:24 PM)BengalYankee Wrote: Ben Roethlisberger had two losing seasons.

2006 7-8
2019 0-2

Tomlin losing seasons [Image: giphy.gif]

What the hell is going on in Smack Talk?

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2023, 10:24 PM)BengalYankee Wrote: Ben Roethlisberger had two losing seasons.

2006 7-8
2019 0-2

Tomlin losing seasons [Image: giphy.gif]

Possibly the lamest response in smack talk history, and I'm including the Sloppy and Dabo years in this.

(01-13-2023, 08:19 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: What the hell is going on in Smack Talk?

As usual, articulate and intelligent Steelers fans are making you Bengals fans look foolish.   Wink
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2023, 12:08 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: As usual, articulate and intelligent Steelers fans are making you Bengals fans look foolish.   Wink

Sure, and next you're going to tell me about the truthful and altruistic politicians. 

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2023, 12:45 PM)BengalYankee Wrote: Ben Roethlisberger had two losing seasons.

2006 7-8

2019 0-2

Tomlin losing seasons

You are aware that Tomlin was not the Steelers HC in 2006?  Or is your point that Ben is capable of having a losing season,  just like Peyton Manning and Drew Brees (and Tom Brady this year)?  Also, using his 0-2 year is just silly, do you really think the Steelers don't do better than 8-8 that year (their actual record) if Ben doesn't get hurt?  Because that would be an even sillier argument.

Quote:Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote:
Quote:Possibly the lamest response in smack talk history, and I'm including the Sloppy and Dabo years in this.

Ok, it seems like you are blind and d***.

Why are you getting upset because someone has a different opinion that you do?

Quote:I am through conversing with you on this topic. You make a stupid comment about how Tomlin's only reason that he never had a losing season and I brought up two years where Pig Ben was under .500, Thus Tomlin had to overcome Pig Ben's short comings. Now you are bitching because I gave you facts and instead of disputing the facts you respond with an ignorant comment.

This is what I get for defending a F' Squealer  coach.  

I never said Ben was the only reason Tomlin's never had a losing season.  What I did say, correctly I might add, is that Tomlin had a franchise QB on his team for his entire career sans this year.  What other coach can say that?  Bill Belichick's first season in NE they went 5-11.  The next year Tom Brady played under center and they didn't have a losing season from that point until 2020, the first year without Brady since 2001.  Is this just a coincidence?  You've already acknowledged that BB is an elite coach, but he's had two losing seasons out of three since Brady left town.

A good coach can overcome a lot, but bad QB play is not one of them.  A bad coach can screw up a lot, but having a franchise QB can really bail them out (see Barry Switzer among others).  The NFL is a QB driven league, having a HoF caliber signal caller can cover up a lot of blemishes.  Tomlin was fortunate that Pickett worked out as well as he has, thus far.  He's not HoF caliber (yet and he never may be), but I think he's demonstrated that he is a good QB at the NFL level.  Next year will really tell us where he's at and going to be.

You can make a lot of arguments about why Tomlin is better than I think he is, but this argument, that having a HoF QB didn't make a major difference for him and his streak, is a very poor one.  If you can put your anger aside and counter with a better argument I'd be happy to hear it.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2023, 12:18 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Sure, and next you're going to tell me about the truthful and altruistic politicians. 

Why would I do that?  I'm all about the truth.   Cool
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2023, 03:17 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: You are aware that Tomlin was not the Steelers HC in 2006?  Or is your point that Ben is capable of having a losing season,  just like Peyton Manning and Drew Brees (and Tom Brady this year)?  Also, using his 0-2 year is just silly, do you really think the Steelers don't do better than 8-8 that year (their actual record) if Ben doesn't get hurt?  Because that would be an even sillier argument.

Why are you getting upset because someone has a different opinion that you do?

I never said Ben was the only reason Tomlin's never had a losing season.  What I did say, correctly I might add, is that Tomlin had a franchise QB on his team for his entire career sans this year.  What other coach can say that?  Bill Belichick's first season in NE they went 5-11.  The next year Tom Brady played under center and they didn't have a losing season from that point until 2020, the first year without Brady since 2001.  Is this just a coincidence?  You've already acknowledged that BB is an elite coach, but he's had two losing seasons out of three since Brady left town.

A good coach can overcome a lot, but bad QB play is not one of them.  A bad coach can screw up a lot, but having a franchise QB can really bail them out (see Barry Switzer among others).  The NFL is a QB driven league, having a HoF caliber signal caller can cover up a lot of blemishes.  Tomlin was fortunate that Pickett worked out as well as he has, thus far.  He's not be HoF caliber (yet and he never may be), but I think he's demonstrated that he is a good QB at the NFL level.  Next year will really tell us where he's at and going to be.

You can make a lot of arguments about why Tomlin is better than I think he is, but this argument, that having a HoF QB didn't make a major difference for him and his streak, is a very poor one.  If you can put your anger aside and counter with a better argument I'd be happy to hear it.

A much better counter view then your last post.
Yes, I am aware of the 2006 year with Cowher.
My point is that not even Ben had a non-losing season.  
We all have opinions and which team or player was the greatest.

I know this is a Smack forum, but I was expecting the post you just sent to refute my point of Tomlin. I was not expecting lamest smack .....

Obviously, this thread would  be exported from The Jungle forum. Nobody goes into the AFC North chat. So, this is the only viable place to place this topic.
My favorite non-Bengal Head Coaches are Jerry Glanville and Buddy Ryan. Neither of them were Great, some would say neither of them were good HC's. 

You are back on my respect list with your good respectable counter argue post.

But, I still Hate the Squealers/Stealers. Pitt Sux
[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2023, 10:03 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: The same number who've had a franchise QB their entire HC career with the exception of this season.

I think you’re forgetting that Roethlisberger was not exactly at his peak the last several of those seasons.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2023, 04:00 PM)BengalYankee Wrote: A much better counter view then your last post.

You mean the one that was responding to a point about Ben having two "losing seasons", an image of a tumbleweed and then a "fake news" meme?  I mean, did you expect a well thought out response to that?  

Quote:Yes, I am aware of the 2006 year with Cowher.
My point is that not even Ben had a non-losing season.  
We all have opinions and which team or player was the greatest.

As I pointed out, pretty much every QB has had a losing season, and with Ben you can only find one.  

Quote:I know this is a Smack forum, but I was expecting the post you just sent to refute my point of Tomlin. I was not expecting lamest smack .....

Again, the quality of my response was in direct correlation to what I was responding to.

Quote:Obviously, this thread would  be exported from The Jungle forum. Nobody goes into the AFC North chat. So, this is the only viable place to place this topic.
My favorite non-Bengal Head Coaches are Jerry Glanville and Buddy Ryan. Neither of them were Great, some would say neither of them were good HC's. 

You are back on my respect list with your good respectable counter argue post.

But, I still Hate the Squealers/Stealers. Pitt Sux

Fair enough, time to move on.

(01-13-2023, 07:07 PM)JS-Steelerfan Wrote: I think you’re forgetting that Roethlisberger was not exactly at his peak the last several of those seasons.

No, not at all.  But Ben not at his peak is still better than the majority of NFL QB's, especially of late with the overall lack of talent at the position right now.  If you had to win a single game, with the players in game ready condition, what current NFL starters would you take over Ben?  The list will be shorter than you think.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2023, 09:32 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: As I pointed out, pretty much every QB has had a losing season, and with Ben you can only find one.  

Yeah, but he did that under Tomlin.  Ben’s great, but he’s not even close to being in the GOAT conversation.  I don’t think he was good enough to carry a mediocre or even slightly above average coach throughout his career.  None of the all time greats did either, and, while Ben’s on that list, he’s not at the top of it.  

The point is that football is the ultimate team sport.  Countless first round QBs have turned out to be duds, not necessarily because they didn’t have the ability, but because they got drafted by terrible teams with terrible leaders.  To a man, the great QBs all benefitted from a strong supporting cast with good leadership.  Ben’s no different.  

(01-13-2023, 09:32 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote:  No, not at all.  But Ben not at his peak is still better than the majority of NFL QB's, especially of late with the overall lack of talent at the position right now.  If you had to win a single game, with the players in game ready condition, what current NFL starters would you take over Ben?  The list will be shorter than you think.

If you’re talking late-career Ben, the list is not that short.  Burrow, Mahomes, Allen, Rodgers, and (until this season) Brady all jump to mind immediately.  And there’s probably a few other guys who will make the list once we see how their careers pan out.  
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2023, 07:07 PM)JS-Steelerfan Wrote: I think you’re forgetting that Roethlisberger was not exactly at his peak the last several of those seasons.

Here's the Steelers record since the last time they won a playoff game:

Quote:2016: 4-3 by bye week. Finished 11-6 with 7 game winning streak. Last time they won a playoff game.

2017: 6-2 by the bye week. Finished 13-3. Lost in 1st round of playoffs.
2018: Started 7-2-1 with a six game winning streak. Ended 9-6-1. Missed playoffs
2019: Started 0-3. Got to 8-5. Finished 8-8. Missed playoffs
2020: Started 11-0! Finished 12-4. Lost in first round of the playoffs.
2021: Started 1-3. Got to 9-7-1. Never won more than two games in a row. Lost in 1st round.

They haven't had a strong second half of the season since 2017 until this year...and they missed the playoffs again.  And I'd propose that a lot of that was the teams they played with poor offenses.  But that is neither here nor there. 
[Image: giphy.gif]
Warning: Reading signatures may hurt your feelings.
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2023, 10:20 AM)JS-Steelerfan Wrote: Yeah, but he did that under Tomlin.

No, he did it in Cowher's last year.

Quote:  Ben’s great, but he’s not even close to being in the GOAT conversation.

I agree, he doesn't belong in the GOAT conversation, nor have I ever said he did.  He is a HoF QB, and I don't think that's disputable.

Quote: I don’t think he was good enough to carry a mediocre or even slightly above average coach throughout his career.  None of the all time greats did either, and, while Ben’s on that list, he’s not at the top of it.  

You essentially just said Ben is like every other top tier QB in this regard.

Quote:The point is that football is the ultimate team sport.  Countless first round QBs have turned out to be duds, not necessarily because they didn’t have the ability, but because they got drafted by terrible teams with terrible leaders.  To a man, the great QBs all benefitted from a strong supporting cast with good leadership.  Ben’s no different.  

I completely agree that football is the ultimate team sport.  I would also say that out of all the positions on the team, QB is by far the most important.  In fact, no other single position in any other team sport comes close.  Honestly, the only position even belonging in that discussion other than QB is goalie in ice hockey.  

Quote:If you’re talking late-career Ben, the list is not that short.  Burrow, Mahomes, Allen, Rodgers, and (until this season) Brady all jump to mind immediately.  And there’s probably a few other guys who will make the list once we see how their careers pan out.  

We're talking about right now, so you can cross Brady off your list.  So you have four definites, and I agree with all of those.  Honestly, look at other QB's.  Would you take Jackson over Ben in a high stakes playoff game?  I don't think I would.  You certainly wouldn't take Mayor McMessagge.  Hebert probably, and some others.  Point being, I'll bet you there are at least 20 starting QB's in this league that you'd still take Ben over, today.  Two things about that, it shows how good Ben was and, more accurately, it shows how poor the talent at the position is league wide right now.
Reply/Quote
The guy smoking a vape next to the coffee shop wasn't born the last time the Steelers has a losing season.

Cowher only had 3 losing seasons in 15 years. Tomlin has had 0 in 16 seasons. Tomlin's feat aside, that's an insane run for 2 consecutive coaches.
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2023, 05:08 PM)6andcounting Wrote: The guy smoking a vape next to the coffee shop wasn't born the last time the Steelers has a losing season.

Cowher only had 3 losing seasons in 15 years. Tomlin has had 0 in 16 seasons. Tomlin's feat aside, that's an insane run for 2 consecutive coaches.

Agreed.  I would point out that two of Cowher's losing seasons were during his failed Kordell experiment, further highlighting the importance of a quality QB towards this type of streak.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2023, 10:38 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: When the Bengals beat the Ravens this weekend, they will have more playoff wins in the last 12 years than the Steelers. A span during which the Steelers lost in the playoffs to Tim Tebow, Blake Bortles, and Baker Mayfield.

It has been surpassed. Now Taylor has a chance to more than double the Steelers 12 year playoff win total in just 2 years.

Reply/Quote
(01-10-2022, 01:23 PM)BengalYankee Wrote: The only coach in NFL history to start 15 years in a row without a losing record.

[Image: FIO4b_FWQAInEEn?format=jpg&name=medium]

(01-09-2023, 04:40 AM)BengalYankee Wrote: The only coach in NFL history to start 15, 16, 17 years in a row without a losing record.

Still rooting for the Steelers to enjoy another non-playoff year vacation ...

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRwIsy3uAjW3ouX6VmIpRv...g&usqp=CAU] 

Wink
[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
[Image: giphy.gif]
Warning: Reading signatures may hurt your feelings.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2024, 10:10 PM)GMDino Wrote: <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

The funniest thing is listening to Steelers fans talk about his streak. It’s become almost a punchline.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote