Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Congratulations Jake Browning-AFC Offensive Player of the Week
(12-07-2023, 02:59 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Nope, he's on a 1-year deal

He's ERFA.

So the Bengals own his rights by the balls.

What they COULD do, is a Matt Flynn sitch and do a sign and trade (I know his wasn't sign and trade, just that we could unload him) to accrue some picks: I'd be down for that (but not sure the team is).
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2023, 04:11 PM)casear2727 Wrote: FS1 (1)

I'm sure a lot of people don't like Nick Wright because of who he roots for but i love that show. Super entertaining. I was shocked at that segment though. Big Grin

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2023, 04:03 PM)depthchart Wrote: From what I am finding, Browning makes $750,000 in 2023 which is the league minimum.

As a player accrues seasons by being on a Team's Roster 6 or more games in a season the minimum increases 

to $870,000 in year 2 and $940,000 in year 3.

*I just did an Internet Search for this information, so others on this Board may know more or differently. 
  If so, please clarify.

Say Browning does very well and gets offered $870,000 as an exclusive rights free agent.  

If I were him that would be insulting to me given how valuable Quarterbacks are in the NFL.

Holdout for more money ?  -or-  Am I looking at this the wrong way or with wrong information ?

I suppose I should have said the least the Bengals would need to do to keep him would be to offer him the minimum.  They could always offer him more and for more than 1 season should he perform well the rest of this season.   He doesn't have a whole lot of leverage here.  If they offered him a longer and or more valuable deal the Bengals could basically say, "We think this is fair.  Take it or we'll just tender you for the minimum this year."   Then he'll have a decision to make, take more money and probably a longer contract or gamble that he thinks can earn more from another team in 2025 and play on the tender in 2024.

Of course he could sit out if tendered but in his situation having not earned a lot even the minimum pay for his experience level is still a lot of money.  Also he would not accrue another season, more experience, and really wouldn't be doing himself any favors in my opinion.  I suppose if he felt he could earn more down the road to make up for that lost year of pay it might be worth it.  Now if he wins a Super Bowl as the Bengals QB this year at least he'll probably have a lot of sponsorship offers to offset his low salary.    Big Grin

We are talking a lot of what-ifs now.  Let's wait to see how the rest of his season plays out before we start worrying about what kind of house and car he'll be able to afford next year.  :)

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2023, 09:40 AM)Sled21 Wrote: The team has given him two nickames....

"Downtown Jake Browning" and "Jake Feisty".  Tiger

Somebody yelled out Jake the Snake when Zac was referencing him while giving out the game balls. Which thought that nickname was kind of played out already and he deserved a unique one to him. 

Like the ones you say the team has given him much better. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2023, 02:07 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: I believe we have him for another year. He becomes an extremely valuable backup and then likely moves on for a chance to start.

Agree
 If he does well the rest of the year and looks the part of a NFL QB1, big "IF" but he has one game like that under his belt already and may just keep rolling.  So once again "if" that happens the Bengals will have 4 choices.

Bench or trade Burrow and make Jake the new face of the Bengals (not likely), keep Jake for another year and have the luxury of a great back up QB for only a million a year. Very tempting, but ultimately he will leave as a FA after that season with the Bengals getting nothing in return. Or trade him for a early round pick after this year and try to get some return on his value. 

Nice problem to have "if it comes to fruition.  Rooting for Jake to achieve this and shock the world.

(12-07-2023, 02:59 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Nope, he's on a 1-year deal

That was more of a team friendly deal than player friendly. If Bengals want him for another year they own him, only if the team doesn't want him any longer then it's a 1 year deal from the way I understand it.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Great high school and college resume that equated to the highest level on Monday night. Good on him, shocked me for sure.
Late round surprise, Tom Brady mk2.
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2023, 05:22 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I looked at this for like 2 minutes trying to find Jake... only to realise he's at the top LOL

(12-06-2023, 05:26 PM)Earendil Wrote: I did the same thing.

Only Purdy and Prescott are ahead of him in passer rating.   Cool

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2023, 05:24 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I'm sure a lot of people don't like Nick Wright because of who he roots for but i love that show. Super entertaining. I was shocked at that segment though. Big Grin

Definitely my favorite.

Reply/Quote
(12-07-2023, 05:17 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Klingler wasn't a 1st overall pick...

1st round, yes, but not 1st overall

I really have to double check things before I post. Yes, he was the 6th overall pick.

Before anyone else tries to correct me, I know the rest of the post is 100%, and I did look up the stats.

Ugh.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Bengals coach Zac Taylor said that of his five incompletions, two were dropped passes by receivers. Two were throwaways and another was a tipped ball at the line of scrimmage.

He basically didn’t throw an incompletion.

That’s unreal.
Reply/Quote