Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Conservative, Boring 2nd Half (AGAIN)
(12-12-2016, 10:02 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Two minutes into the second half the Patriots went up 30-7 over the Browns and Brady had over 300 passing yards.  The rest of the game the Pats threw for only 75 yards and were outscored 6-3.  And they were not playing in the snow.

Does that mean Bill Belichick is also a pansy?

That's gotta be the only time Belichick hasn't run up the score... People really pity this Brown's team. Even notorious cheaters  Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2016, 10:02 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Two minutes into the second half the Patriots went up 30-7 over the Browns and Brady had over 300 passing yards.  The rest of the game the Pats threw for only 75 yards and were outscored 6-3.  And they were not playing in the snow.

Does that mean Bill Belichick is also a pansy?

This was the right strategy for an awful browns team

we have seen ,many times that it is the wrong strategy when we have leads against playoff level teams.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The Bengals have gone 5 straight games now without a 4th quarter TD, and only 1 in the last 8 games.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I don't know about you but I was not feeling too comfortable when the Browns had is 2nd and 7 at our 11 at the start of the 4th and only up 20-7. I still thought we would win but that it was a little too close to take your foot of the gas. We have all seen strange things happen to this team. Interesting that we still had a 87% win probability according to ESPN at that point.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2016, 12:34 AM)Wyche Wrote: Yeah.....I wouldn't have rubbed Hues face in it either. That said....he has had opportunity prior and not done it.

I was watching and ESPN 30 for 30 and saw a quote from Jimmy Johnson where he said that you never let off the gas because teams can go on a run and put up 20 points in a quarter.  I thought "yeah, that's just not the Bengals way".
Reply/Quote
If you're interested in running the score up needlessly just watch Ohio State games when they play clearly inferior teams, 66-3, etc.. I've never been a fan of that type of play and it can and often does put players in risk of needless injuries. Beyond that it can also lead to some bad blood down the road with players and coaches wanting to seek revenge with overly zealous hits and all kinds of ugliness. It can really come back to bite a team in the ass.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(12-12-2016, 01:35 PM)grampahol Wrote: ...clearly inferior teams.

In the NFL, there are NO "clearly inferior teams."
That kind of thinking leads to "unexpected losses."
Reply/Quote
I think some of our perceived lack of stepping on throats is the fact that we're not a great team at making halftime adjustments.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2016, 11:40 AM)bengals67 Wrote: we have seen ,many times that it is the wrong strategy when we have leads against playoff level teams.

No we have not.

What game have we lost because Marvin was too conservative with a big lead?

I specifically remember Marvin costing the Bengals a win against Tampa Bay in '10 because he was TOO AGGRESSIVE with a 7 point lead and less than 2 minutes left, but I can not remember us losing a game because Marvin was too conservative with a lead.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2016, 01:35 PM)grampahol Wrote: If you're interested in running the score up needlessly just watch Ohio State games when they play clearly inferior teams, 66-3, etc.. I've never been a fan of that type of play and it can and often does put players in risk of needless injuries. Beyond that it can also lead to some bad blood down the road with players and coaches wanting to seek revenge with overly zealous hits and all kinds of ugliness. It can really come back to bite a team in the ass.

The NFL is completely different than Ohio State or Alabama playing a game "North Middle of Nowhere State" before they start conference play.  Those teams go into the game knowing they are going to get blown out, they are there for some exposure and a pay day.  Even the worst NFL team has a chance every single week.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2016, 01:05 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: I was watching and ESPN 30 for 30 and saw a quote from Jimmy Johnson where he said that you never let off the gas because teams can go on a run and put up 20 points in a quarter.  I thought "yeah, that's just not the Bengals way".

There were 12 teams in the NFL that ran the ball more with a lead in the second half than the Bengals last year.
Reply/Quote
The Bengals haven't played an entire four quarters in about a year and a half. People are noticing it this year because they're losing so much (and we all know why).
Reply/Quote
I was happy when we went up 20-0, but I wish they could've scored a bit more and then pull Andy. Cleveland had 4 sacks, so I'm so glad Dalton wasn't hurt. We need him in one piece for next year.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
I enjoyed the win. Tiger
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2016, 02:59 PM)fredtoast Wrote: There were 12 teams in the NFL that ran the ball more with a lead in the second half than the Bengals last year.

That still does not change my point about it not being the Bengals' way of doing things.
Reply/Quote