Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Constituents yell “You lie!” at Rep. Joe Wilson during South Carolina town hall
http://www.salon.com/2017/04/11/karma-comes-for-joe-constituents-yell-you-lie-at-rep-joe-wilson-during-south-carolina-town-hall/

Quote:Republican Rep. Joe Wilson of South Carolina, who became infamous after shouting “You lie!” at President Barack Obama during a 2009 speech before a joint session of Congress, was just treated to a taste of his own medicine by his constituents.

During a 40-minute town hall meeting at Aiken Technical College in Graniteville, S.C., on Monday, Wilson was met with considerable hostility from protesters, according to a report by The Post and Courier. This included chants of “You lie!” that lasted for 30 seconds.

One comment made by Wilson that elicited this response was when he claimed that “I’ve also supported the local solicitor here, and the solicitor in Lexington all efforts to make sure that violence against women is fully enforced.” When protesters responded to this by chanting “You lie!” it was in reference to Wilson’s vote against extending the Violence Against Women Act in 2013.

On another occasion, when trying to express support for President Donald Trump’s missile strikes against Syria, Wilson’s remarks could not be heard over the loud booing. Wilson was trying to assert that “I would have supported the prior president if he had acted, but he didn’t. Where chemical weapons are used, there should be immediate action. Because if we don’t, sadly it’s an opportunity for chemical weapons to be used around the world and, we know, ultimately, within the United States.”

[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Obama lied about a lot of things. More will be discovered. Plenty of dead kids to show for it.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(04-11-2017, 06:56 PM)GMDino Wrote: http://www.salon.com/2017/04/11/karma-comes-for-joe-constituents-yell-you-lie-at-rep-joe-wilson-during-south-carolina-town-hall/

Live by the sword.....
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
i agree with exercising free speech. And dealing out a dose of their own medicine.

on the other hand, I've been to dozens of town hall meetings oger the years. Normally, its the rep, his aide, one or two media, a couple local officials and maybe a half dozen people normally considered conspiracy theorists. The whole showing up and voicing your displeasure is more of a new thing in a lot of places. But my concern is, reps dont have to do these. They can have less interaction with constituents, and likely will, if all they do is show up and get heckled.
(04-11-2017, 07:42 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Obama lied about a lot of things. More will be discovered. Plenty of dead kids to show for it.

WTF?

How did you obtain inside onformation on lies told by Obama?

And who are these children who died because he lied?
(04-11-2017, 11:30 PM)Benton Wrote: i agree with exercising free speech. And dealing out a dose of their own medicine.

on the other hand, I've been to dozens of town hall meetings oger the years. Normally, its the rep, his aide, one or two media, a couple local officials and maybe a half dozen people normally considered conspiracy theorists. The whole showing up and voicing your displeasure is more of a new thing in a lot of places. But my concern is, reps dont have to do these. They can have less interaction with constituents, and likely will, if all they do is show up and get heckled.

Which is what has happened in my district. Goodlatte hasn't had a town hall in at least three years. There is someone in town, here, that has a cardboard cut-out of him that is referred to as "Flat Bob" that makes appearances at events where you would typically see your district's representative. Goodlatte just tends to ignore our city a lot, anyway, even though he has an office here because he hasn't been winning it in elections. Or maybe it's his ignoring us that is the cause for him losing the city? Either way, the city is blue and he doesn't come around much.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
The Congressmen should build a wall to keep their constituents out.
Paid protesters