Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Containing CJ Stroud
Houston running game is pretty suspect. Their top two RB avg 3.2 ypc combined. Means you can keep safeties out of the box and let them roam
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2023, 09:38 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Total disclosure: I’m an Ohio State alumnus and I loved CJ Stroud as a Buckeye — but now he’s a Texan and he needs to be defeated.  Most Ohio State quarterbacks fail miserably in the NFL but Stroud seems to be absolutely thriving.  

Let’s look at him objectively and see what Lou Anarumo will be facing this week.  First of all, Stroud has thrown 14 touchdown passes to only one interception all year; that’s extremely impressive.  This means he is super accurate and the Houston receivers are running great routes.

Also, Stroud holds two interesting records: Most passing attempts without an interception to start a career with 192 and the most passing yards in a game by a rookie with 470.  Those are insane numbers and I think Stroud will be Offensive Rookie of the Year.

The only way I see to stop Stroud is with constant pressure generated by blitzes and stunts combined with tight coverage downfield.  In no way do I consider the Texans an easy out.
Stroud will probably be ROOKIE OF THE YEAR in The NFL,  and he deserves it winning not just as a Quarterback but for the rebuilding Houston Texans.  

I said watch out for all those years of top draft picks Cleveland traded Houston for Watson, a great way for Houston to do a rebuild. 

But Rookie he is, and Bengals just beat Josh Allen.  The game is in THE JUNGLE and I have seen Rookies rattled by Crowd NOISE.  So I hope THE JUNGLE is LOUD on Defense.  

Also the best way to beat Houston is for The Bengals to score more points and for Burrow and Company to destroy the Texans Defense so bad that The Rookie Stroud can't keep up. 

Beat them and get ready for a quarterback that I am more worried about, and that is veteran Lamar Jackson and The Ravens.  Beat The Rookie.  

Oh, I am a Bengals Fan.  Once Ohio State players enter the NFL,  I am a Bengals Fan.  Also Burrow was once a Buckeye, but I would root for Burrow if he had only played at LSU, because I am a Bengals Fan, and I do NOT root for Buckeyes in NFL games, I root for my Bengals, no matter where they came from, be it Augustana, Bethune Cookman, Grambling or Horst from Germany.

Yes, do not take the Rookie Of The Year lightly.  and Crowd Noise helps against Rookie QB's.  

Also who on here remembers that Bengals had to play in 2011 and 2012 play-offs in a very LOUD Texans stadium ?   I think Bengals owe Texans a loss in THE JUNGLE, just as Bengals owed 49ers a loss game before last. 

GO BENGALS....this ain't College Ball Buckeyes.....GO BENGALS....My die hard Ohio State friends always said I was more into Bengals than Buckeyes, and they were correct, I am more of a Bengals Fan than a Buckeyes Fan. It helps that Bengals were started by Paul Brown who won Championships in Ohio High School, won NCAA Championship at Ohio State, won Championships with his Cleveland Browns and as owner saw his Cincinnati Bengals in 2 Super Bowls. Sorry Woody, but I think Paul Brown is Mister Football in OHIO for winning at all levels across the state. If not for Paul Brown there would have never been a Cleveland Browns or a Cincinnati Bengals, plus he won first NCAA Championship for Ohio State....Other Fans may be more into Buckeyes, but I am more into Bengals, so to me this is just a good rookie to beat, nothing more.

Tiger Who Dey Who Dey Tiger 

Also on this Rookie Of The Year coming in. He hasn't played THE BENGALS in THE JUNGLE yet. Welcome the rookie to the NFL with him taking a loss in THE JUNGLE.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2023, 09:38 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Total disclosure: I’m an Ohio State alumnus and I loved CJ Stroud as a Buckeye — but now he’s a Texan and he needs to be defeated.  Most Ohio State quarterbacks fail miserably in the NFL but Stroud seems to be absolutely thriving.  

Let’s look at him objectively and see what Lou Anarumo will be facing this week.  First of all, Stroud has thrown 14 touchdown passes to only one interception all year; that’s extremely impressive.  This means he is super accurate and the Houston receivers are running great routes.

Also, Stroud holds two interesting records: Most passing attempts without an interception to start a career with 192 and the most passing yards in a game by a rookie with 470.  Those are insane numbers and I think Stroud will be Offensive Rookie of the Year.

The only way I see to stop Stroud is with constant pressure generated by blitzes and stunts combined with tight coverage downfield.  In no way do I consider the Texans an easy out.

Nice thread FIK. I am just happy Stroud had the best game ever by a rookie QB the week before playing us.

Lots of film on this guy unlike most all rookie QB's. 470 yards and 5 TD's? WTF?WTF

We will not take him lightly. Good team the Texans. We will be tested but that is just the way we want it.
Reply/Quote
This game is going to be very interesting against Stroud and his Texans.470 yds.5 touchdowns.No interceptions.As a Rookie.Rare.Impressive.
Yes,I would take this guy seriously.
Reply/Quote
It's funny, during the draft process, if IIRC, the knock on him was he was a one-read type and needed time. As a lifelong OSU fan, I watched all his games and I saw a kid who could make all the throws, stayed calm and collected, and fed his weapons (3 first-round WR) accordingly. His throwing drills at the combine were impressive. Smooth, fluid, all areas of the field. The Texans got themselves a good one.

The Bengals are going to have to play solid on the back end. Leave him small windows to throw into. Confuse him w pre snap looks. Blitz occasionally w a fifth (or more, stop relying so heavily on the front four to get pressure, especially Hendrickson having his hands full w Tunsil. The rush is going to HAVE to come from someone else). And don't sleep on their running game, just because they haven't "broken out" on the ground doesn't mean it WON'T.
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2023, 05:30 PM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: It's funny, during the draft process, if IIRC, the knock on him was he was a one-read type and needed time. As a lifelong OSU fan, I watched all his games and I saw a kid who could make all the throws, stayed calm and collected, and fed his weapons (3 first-round WR) accordingly. His throwing drills at the combine were impressive. Smooth, fluid, all areas of the field. The Texans got themselves a good one.

The Bengals are going to have to play solid on the back end. Leave him small windows to throw into. Confuse him w pre snap looks. Blitz occasionally w a fifth (or more, stop relying so heavily on the front four to get pressure, especially Hendrickson having his hands full w Tunsil. The rush is going to HAVE to come from someone else). And don't sleep on their running game, just because they haven't "broken out" on the ground doesn't mean it WON'T.

He's definitely got all the skills.  I remember he's not very good at avoiding sacks, and won't beat you with his legs.  But with a fairly clean pocket he can hurt you bad.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I was lucky early in the season to pick Stoud and Dell on waivers through fantasy football. Tongue
[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote
We should dominate this game but for whatever reason we struggle against rookies and back ups. It’s maddening, we can confuse Mahomes, Allen hell even the QB guru himself coaching SF but yet we struggle against these guys. Is it lack of film, it’s frustrating. I expect us to get a couple picks and completely confuse the Texans.
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2023, 07:16 PM)TKUHL Wrote: We should dominate this game but for whatever reason we struggle against rookies and back ups. It’s maddening, we can confuse Mahomes, Allen hell even the QB guru himself coaching SF but yet we struggle against these guys. Is it lack of film, it’s frustrating. I expect us to get a couple picks and completely confuse the Texans.

I don’t think that Stroud is going to tear us up, but if he were to play well I wouldn’t be quite as mad as getting smashed by a backup. Stroud threw for 470 yards last week and has several good games. He’s a solid QB even for a rookie.
"I'm not going to accept losing"

-- Joe Burrow
Reply/Quote
We should be able to handle the Texans. I’m not looking past them, they are a young and exciting team. However, based on who we beat in consecutive weeks, this is a game that we simply should have in form
Control. That said, any given Sunday is a real thing. Broncos beating chiefs, as an example.
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2023, 10:20 AM)Millhouse Wrote: Stroud is definitely on pace to be ROY. He has been  pretty insane so far.

But he is about to face the hottest team right now playing top level complimentary football on both sides of the ball. THey haven't really faced a team like the Bengals right now since week 1 against the Ravens.

Bengals just have to keep doing what they are doing.

They really have had a easy schedule. They are in a weak division and played the weakest division in the league. Either way despite a weak schedule Stroud has still been impressive. 

Ravens
Colts
Jaguars
Steelers
Falcons
Saints
Panthers
Buccaneers
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2023, 07:16 PM)TKUHL Wrote: We should dominate this game but for whatever reason we struggle against rookies and back ups. It’s maddening, we can confuse Mahomes, Allen hell even the QB guru himself coaching SF but yet we struggle against these guys. Is it lack of film, it’s frustrating. I expect us to get a couple picks and completely confuse the Texans.

That's just proof of how good the coaching staff is at preparing. Put someone in there with little to no tape on them and we can't stop them.
Reply/Quote
Stroud is legit but the Bengals team is better than the Texans.

Got to be ready to go and take care of business early

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2023, 12:01 PM)Housh Wrote: You guys are gonna be surprised at how quick he is processing defenses

and you shouldn’t be because I’m telling you right now he’s already top 10 at doing it

This game looks like it’s gonna be hard because CJ but i believe the talent gap will show up and we’ll win by 3 scores

The Texans just don’t have the roster to beat us even if Stroud is amazing

He hasn't faced an Anarumo defense yet, and our D absolutely confused the hell out of Mahomes in two different second halves. 
Reply/Quote
Just gonna leave this here...

I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(11-08-2023, 03:28 PM)Synric Wrote: Just gonna leave this here...

Hilarious. Good on CJ lol  Hilarious
Reply/Quote
I can’t get into the granular level, mainly because I don’t understand how Anarumo does what he does.

But, what’s worked for us is disguising blitzes and dropping into coverage taking away the deep ball. Lou doesn’t let opposing players get behind our coverage either.

I know a lot of you like Stroud because of his Ohio connection. But, he ain’t Joe Burrow. And, his inexperience will be his undoing this game.

Plus, DJ Reader is going to make his day miserable.

IF they’re comparing Stroud to Pickett….we’ll be just fine.
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2023, 02:13 PM)Graphicguy Wrote: I can’t get into the granular level, mainly because I don’t understand how Anarumo does what he does.

But, what’s worked for us is disguising blitzes and dropping into coverage taking away the deep ball.  Lou doesn’t let opposing players get behind our coverage either.

I know a lot of you like Stroud because of his Ohio connection.  But, he ain’t Joe Burrow.  And, his inexperience will be his undoing this game.

Plus, DJ Reader is going to make his day miserable.

IF they’re comparing Stroud to Pickett….we’ll be just fine.

I am no OSU fan so that isn't me as far is liking Stroud. I think he is a good, young QB. But you are right, he is no Joe Burrow
and Trey Hendrickson could also make his day miserable. Our Defense just played against the Seahawks and made Geno Smith 
who never throws interceptions throw interceptions. Then we played against the 49ers and held them in check while Burrow 
finally got healthy, then we played the Bills and beat them pretty handily.

This Texans team isn't in these teams' category right now. CJ Stroud will have to play just as good of a game as he did against 
Tampa Bay against our Defense if they want to come away with a win in Cincy. Don't see it.
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2023, 01:31 PM)Memphis_Bengal Wrote: Houston running game is pretty suspect. Their top two RB avg 3.2 ypc combined. Means you can keep safeties out of the box and let them roam

Key point here.

IMO the way you beat the Bengals is by not letting them get early leads and then leaning on the run.  If you can't run, it's kind of dead in the water.  
Reply/Quote
It happens

Great game by CJ

Lou is great but it does appear he has a habit of staying in bad D’s until halftime

Playing zone all 1st half is damn near stupid against CJ. That’s the one defense he’s picked apart all season

It’s as if we didn’t know what CJ could do
-Housh
Reply/Quote