Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Continued Trump Administration Fallout
(07-12-2021, 01:28 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Maybe I'm even crazier than i thought, but I was more conservative when i was younger and got more liberal/libertarian as I aged.  

I certainly got more libertarian.  Even in the last ten years.  Maybe especially in the last ten years.  Do what you want, and leave me to do what I want.  Which isn't much by the way. LOL  I'm just not interested in controlling people and trying to make them live  a certain way or do things a certain way.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2021, 02:13 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I certainly got more libertarian.  Even in the last ten years.  Maybe especially in the last ten years.  Do what you want, and leave me to do what I want.  Which isn't much by the way. LOL  I'm just not interested in controlling people and trying to make them live  a certain way or do things a certain way.

Im the same way.  I think it's more the older I get the less concern I have for what other peiple are doing.  Being able to argue with people online helps me stay calm as far as people who kbow me in real life goes, too.  
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2021, 02:09 PM)Nately120 Wrote: In my case I just matured and realized that crying unfair and looking for excuses wasn't going to fix things.  It wasn't political for me, I voted for Gore when I was still in this mindset. 

I like it. Simple, easy to remember.
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2021, 02:13 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I certainly got more libertarian.  Even in the last ten years.  Maybe especially in the last ten years.  Do what you want, and leave me to do what I want.  Which isn't much by the way. LOL  I'm just not interested in controlling people and trying to make them live  a certain way or do things a certain way.

I actually used to be very libertarian in my positions. I mean, hardcore libertarian. However, I started reading more political theory, got more involved in public administration and policy, and I started to understand the role of government in a modern democracy a little more. But, I also have the firm position that policy should always be rooted in evidence. There are tons of bad policies out there, and they are almost always in place because policymakers have enacted a policy that was not rooted in evidence.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2021, 01:28 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Maybe I'm even crazier than i thought, but I was more conservative when i was younger and got more liberal/libertarian as I aged.  

I am the same way. After living in Columbus, OH for about 15 years after high school, I became much more liberal on social issues like gay rights etc. 

I also have become more liberal in other areas too like health care, especially this year after my diagnosis with Leukemia. I have seen the belly of the beast first hand of our health care system, and can't imagine how someone that is on a tight budget with not so great insurance could pay for everything not covered if they had to go through a similar situation.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(07-12-2021, 03:02 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I actually used to be very libertarian in my positions. I mean, hardcore libertarian. However, I started reading more political theory, got more involved in public administration and policy, and I started to understand the role of government in a modern democracy a little more. But, I also have the firm position that policy should always be rooted in evidence. There are tons of bad policies out there, and they are almost always in place because policymakers have enacted a policy that was not rooted in evidence.

Your mindset makes a lot of sense to me.  Take that for what it is worth. 
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2021, 03:58 PM)Millhouse Wrote: I am the same way. After living in Columbus, OH for about 15 years after high school, I became much more liberal on social issues like gay rights etc. 

I also have become more liberal in other areas too like health care, especially this year after my diagnosis with Leukemia. I have seen the belly of the beast first hand of our health care system, and can't imagine how someone that is on a tight budget with not so great insurance could pay for everything not covered if they had to go through a similar situation.

Gay rights isn't a liberal thing. It is more a human rights thing. Neither side owns any particular issue, it comes down to right or wrong.    
I know who I am! I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude!
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2021, 08:17 PM)Cicero Wrote: Gay rights isn't a liberal thing. It is more a human rights thing. Neither side owns any particular issue, it comes down to right or wrong.    

People tend to forget that same sex marriage was very unpopular, even in deep blue states.  There was a ballot measure on the ticket in '08 to legalize same sex marriage in CA, it lost quite handily.  I said, in the P&R section of the old board, that it would take either a Civil Rights Act type of legislation or a SCOTUS decision to enact it in most of the country.  Hell, Obama ran against in '08 before coming around when the polls shifted, I mean, he had a discussion with his daughter about the issue.
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2021, 08:36 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: People tend to forget that same sex marriage was very unpopular, even in deep blue states.  There was a ballot measure on the ticket in '08 to legalize same sex marriage in CA, it lost quite handily.  I said, in the P&R section of the old board, that it would take either a Civil Rights Act type of legislation or a SCOTUS decision to enact it in most of the country.  Hell, Obama ran against in '08 before coming around when the polls shifted, I mean, he had a discussion with his daughter about the issue.

The sooner people realize they are just props for the ruling class the better. It is naïve to think they actually give a damn one way or the other about any of us. 
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2021, 08:38 PM)Cicero Wrote: The sooner people realize they are just props for the ruling class the better. It is naïve to think they actually give a damn one way or the other about any of us. 

Most people are fine with the way things are until their life gets painful.  That goes for just about anywhere on the plaent.
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2021, 08:42 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Most people are fine with the way things are until their life gets painful.  That goes for just about anywhere on the plaent.

Excellent point. Unfortunately that usually means violence. 
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2021, 08:38 PM)Cicero Wrote: The sooner people realize they are just props for the ruling class the better. It is naïve to think they actually give a damn one way or the other about any of us. 

Just curious, Cic--in your view, who is the ruling class in the U.S.?  

Are those in it party affiliated? Are they an economic or political class, or both, or something else?  

Who are the "props"? 
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2021, 08:17 PM)Cicero Wrote: Gay rights isn't a liberal thing. It is more a human rights thing. Neither side owns any particular issue, it comes down to right or wrong.    

Most people don't tend to understand political ideologies in this country, and that is because most people aren't ideologues. They just form ad hoc opinions about issues as they are presented to them. Neither party is actually synonymous with conservative or liberal when it comes down to defining those terms, and both of them (the establishment, anyway) are right-of-center in geopolitical terms.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
I have to think Lindell will go with the Trump defense of "I say all kinds of crazy things!"

But this ruling seems to say that's not good enough...yet.

I hate that some people can scream craziness and then when challenged the court says "well no reasonable person would believe them" and they go on saying the crazy things and people go on believing them.

Legal to do?  Yup.  Still bad news.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
Isn't Trump supposedly getting reinstated August 13th according to Mike Lindell?
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2021, 10:18 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Isn't Trump supposedly getting reinstated August 13th according to Mike Lindell?

That's what I heard.

But hey they say no one believes or listens to him too....lol.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2021, 10:18 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Isn't Trump supposedly getting reinstated August 13th according to Mike Lindell?

Today's the day!

So long Biden.

All of you who have been laughing at the Trump conspiracies believed by millions--

Today you'll find out how wrong you've been ALL ALONG about EVERYTHING!
Reply/Quote
Stolen from Wil Wheaton, ya that Wil Wheaton:

"Shoutout to all the ***** idiots who sincerely believed tRump was going to be somehow magically made president today.  Keep ***** that chicken guys. You're doing a great job."

Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(08-13-2021, 06:16 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: Stolen from Wil Wheaton, ya that Wil Wheaton:

"Shoutout to all the ***** idiots who sincerely believed tRump was going to be somehow magically made president today.  Keep ***** that chicken guys. You're doing a great job."

Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious

The idea of Trump being reinstated today was due to Mike Lindell's cyber symposium presenting such proof the election was stolen that "The supreme court will rule 9-0 to overturn the election and make Trump the president" I believe. It's been over 7 months, so I think most people other than the most hardcore have given up on the notion that Trump can/will be president any time before the 2024 election, if then.

I do have friends who had parents who forced themselves to watch Biden's inauguration because they were convinced that he and Kamala Harris (and maybe Obama and the Clintons?) were going to be placed under arrest and Trump was going to be sworn in.

This latest bit of post-election stuff is odd because the concept of people promising things are going to happen (and still keeping followers despite being proven wrong) is nothing new, but usually the predictions are far more general and have more leeway.  You see experienced grifters like the psychics or the Jim Bakkers of the world making generic predictions or saying "the end times will be upon us very soon" and they just keep selling their info or their doomsday kits for decades at a time.  

The idea that Lindell keeps giving specific dates in the near future when something specific will happen just shows that he's not an experienced con man and he clearly believes what he's saying.  It's fascinating.  
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2021, 08:18 PM)Nately120 Wrote: The idea of Trump being reinstated today was due to Mike Lindell's cyber symposium presenting such proof the election was stolen that "The supreme court will rule 9-0 to overturn the election and make Trump the president" I believe. It's been over 7 months, so I think most people other than the most hardcore have given up on the notion that Trump can/will be president any time before the 2024 election, if then.

I do have friends who had parents who forced themselves to watch Biden's inauguration because they were convinced that he and Kamala Harris (and maybe Obama and the Clintons?) were going to be placed under arrest and Trump was going to be sworn in.

This latest bit of post-election stuff is odd because the concept of people promising things are going to happen (and still keeping followers despite being proven wrong) is nothing new, but usually the predictions are far more general and have more leeway.  You see experienced grifters like the psychics or the Jim Bakkers of the world making generic predictions or saying "the end times will be upon us very soon" and they just keep selling their info or their doomsday kits for decades at a time.  

The idea that Lindell keeps giving specific dates in the near future when something specific will happen just shows that he's not an experienced con man and he clearly believes what he's saying.  It's fascinating.  

Mike Lindell was probably more rational when he was smokin' dat shit back in the day.  He's going to need one of them peanut butter and crack sammiches once Dominion gets in his ass and he's on the street.
Reply/Quote