Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cooling in the North Atlantic
Some food for thought

Read this - http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/30/weather/atlantic-cold-blob/?iid=ob_homepage_deskrecommended_pool&iref=obnetwork

then this - http://oceanservice.noaa.gov/education/tutorial_currents/05conveyor2.html

Finally this - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shutdown_of_thermohaline_circulation

Discuss.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Basically the catalyst in the movie "Day After Tomorrow". Yes, I know that is a over fictionalization representation, but this can trigger an ice age over a long period of time.
The cooling of the ocean is because of global warming.
(10-03-2015, 09:06 AM)mallorian69 Wrote: The cooling of the ocean is because of global warming.

Global warming causes glaciers/ice to melt which runoffs into the ocean, lowering the temperature of it. Basically?
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(10-03-2015, 09:38 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Global warming causes glaciers/ice to melt which runoffs into the ocean, lowering the temperature of it. Basically?

It is part of the Thermohaline Circulation Cycle.  Happens systematically if not predictably, and is associated with the onset of major and minor Ice Ages.  Evidence shows that the when the TCC shuts down temperatures in the Northern Hemisphere can drop by more than 10 degrees in less than a decade.  It is very very rapid.  Almost instantaneous geologically.
I stick with my same line of thinking I came to while eating peanut butter and hazel nut spread sandwiches. It's cyclical. Over the course of thousands of years the world heats and cools. If we heat it too much, mechanisms kick in that will cool it. If we cool it too much, mechanisms kick in that will heat it.
(10-04-2015, 10:52 PM)Benton Wrote: I stick with my same line of thinking I came to while eating peanut butter and hazel nut spread sandwiches. It's cyclical. Over the course of thousands of years the world heats and cools. If we heat it too much, mechanisms kick in that will cool it. If we cool it too much, mechanisms kick in that will heat it.

Except that over thousands of years we had zero to do with the earths heating and cooling.
(10-04-2015, 11:08 PM)Blutarsky Wrote: Except that over thousands of years we had zero to do with the earths heating and cooling.

Exactly.

The earth experienced ice ages and non-ice ages before us and while we were just wearing loin clothes. We had nothing to do with that. Could we be accelerating that now? Sure. Will the earth fix itself? Yes.
(10-04-2015, 11:08 PM)Blutarsky Wrote: Except that over thousands of years we had zero to do with the earths heating and cooling.

Its simply amazing that people still think we have nothing to do with the environment around us.

From simple smog to the whole int he ozone layer to the extinction of various animals we have done damage to everything we as humans can get our hands on.

When it comes to climate change I agree with the cyclical theory...with the caveat that for the last 150 years humans have suddenly thrown a new variable in to the equation with our burning of fossil fuels.

and yet people will deny, deny, deny.  They believe man has no control over it.

And what should we do?  

Well if you came upon a burning house...even if you didn't start the fire...would you throw water on it or gasoline?  

Even if you think climate change is 100% natural and somehow humans are not affecting this one thing after all the other damage we did do you want to continue to throw gas on the fire?  
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(10-05-2015, 07:46 AM)GMDino Wrote: Its simply amazing that people still think we have nothing to do with the environment around us.

From simple smog to the whole int he ozone layer to the extinction of various animals we have done damage to everything we as humans can get our hands on.

When it comes to climate change I agree with the cyclical theory...with the caveat that for the last 150 years humans have suddenly thrown a new variable in to the equation with our burning of fossil fuels.

and yet people will deny, deny, deny.  They believe man has no control over it.

And what should we do?  

Well if you came upon a burning house...even if you didn't start the fire...would you throw water on it or gasoline?  

Even if you think climate change is 100% natural and somehow humans are not affecting this one thing after all the other damage we did do you want to continue to throw gas on the fire?  

Climate change in itself is 100% natural. Using your house on fire analogy... throwing a lit match into the inferno doesn't make it any worse.

If all emissions were to stop today, the planet would continue to warm for centuries.
(10-05-2015, 09:31 AM)Blutarsky Wrote: Climate change in itself is 100% natural. Using your house on fire analogy... throwing a lit match into the inferno doesn't make it any worse.

If all emissions were to stop today, the planet would continue to warm for centuries.

And continue to re-cool, naturally as it has been doing for millions of years.
(10-05-2015, 07:46 AM)GMDino Wrote:  

Sometimes that's all you can do. Fire management means sometimes you let the fire burn itself out.

I think we've accelerated global warming. Maybe even by a few hundred years. But in the scope of a few million years — the length of the current ice age we're still in — then we aren't talking about much on an acceleration.
Agent Smith: I'd like to share a revelation that I've had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species and I realized that you're not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment but you humans do not. You move to an area and you multiply and multiply until every natural resource is consumed and the only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet. You're a plague and we are the cure.

Every time this kind of discussion comes up, I always hear Agent Smith talking to Morpheus in the back of my mind.
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

(10-05-2015, 09:31 AM)Blutarsky Wrote: Climate change in itself is 100% natural. Using your house on fire analogy... throwing a lit match into the inferno doesn't make it any worse.

So you are against anything that helps since you don't think its your fault.

(10-05-2015, 10:03 AM)Stewy Wrote: And continue to re-cool, naturally as it has been doing for millions of years.

Millions of years without humans adding to it.  How much do we throw off the "natural balance" of the heating and cooling?  I don't know.

(10-05-2015, 11:05 AM)Benton Wrote: Sometimes that's all you can do. Fire management means sometimes you let the fire burn itself out.

I think we've accelerated global warming. Maybe even by a few hundred years. But in the scope of a few million years — the length of the current ice age we're still in — then we aren't talking about much on an acceleration.

Its enough because of how fragile we are when it comes to our environment.  Knowing we are contributing and trying to do something about is the right course of action...but it might cost a few dollars so it won't happen.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
The earth got cold, and man invented fire.

The earth got hot, and man invented air conditioning.

Climate change should only concern you if you have beachfront property.
Haha climate change

There is a better chance of finding Bigfoot than there is of one of these guys models to be accurate.

What a joke..... The religion of the left.
(10-04-2015, 11:40 PM)Benton Wrote: Exactly.

The earth experienced ice ages and non-ice ages before us and while we were just wearing loin clothes. We had nothing to do with that. Could we be accelerating that now? Sure. Will the earth fix itself? Yes.

I agree with your thoughts on global warming.  I agree that humans can not "destroy" the earth.  The Earth will continue to move along as it has.  The concern one should have is whether that continuation is conducive to human life.
[Image: m6moCD1.png]

(10-05-2015, 03:04 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: Agent Smith: I'd like to share a revelation that I've had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species and I realized that you're not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment but you humans do not. You move to an area and you multiply and multiply until every natural resource is consumed and the only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet. You're a plague and we are the cure.

Every time this kind of discussion comes up, I always hear Agent Smith talking to Morpheus in the back of my mind.
soon we will spread our virus to new planets...
(10-06-2015, 09:41 AM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: I agree with your thoughts on global warming.  I agree that humans can not "destroy" the earth.  The Earth will continue to move along as it has.  The concern one should have is whether that continuation is conducive to human life.

Agreed.

The planet will, most likely, fix itself. From microscopic life to heating/cooling cycles to new creatures evolving from existing life. Something alive will be here until — most likely — the sun burns out. It just may not be us.
All climate change people should worry less about "throwing gas on the fire". If they are that concerned then take the lead on colonization of Mars or somewhere else. That should be the focus over whether my Big Mac comes in paper or plastic.