Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cordell Volson-Can be one of the best
(06-11-2023, 04:23 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: At least when i post, i am not posting just to boost my count like Fred. 

He's an ascending second year player and he's shown he's go the moxie to stick. He's not going anywhere no matter what anyone thinks. We need players like him in order to offset the big contracts we will have. I'm actually starting to not enjoy this board anymore. 

I'm a big fan of The Mike M..The other one can be a tool. 

WTH would anyone want to boost their "count"; are there prizes awarded, of which, I am unaware? 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I thought this was a very cool thread with good discussion except when people started insulting each other.

It is just the Offseason in the summer, it is cool to debate the future of a rookie that started and got a little better as the year
went on. Don't understand how this thread could turn you off of the board. We all cooled down besides Rfaulk who went a little
rough in calling people names because he comes off as hating on our starting LG, but we all hope Cordell Volson does well in
his sophomore year. The debate was good and KillerGoose's last post on Volson is entirely accurate. Same with Mike M's on that
Volson's floor is a below average LG from what we seen.

Volson could be much better than what he shown as a rookie...
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2023, 09:35 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I thought this was a very cool thread with good discussion except when people started insulting each other.

It is just the Offseason in the summer, it is cool to debate the future of a rookie that started and got a little better as the year
went on. Don't understand how this thread could turn you off of the board. We all cooled down besides Rfaulk who went a little
rough in calling people names because he comes off as hating on our starting LG, but we all hope Cordell Volson does well in
his sophomore year. The debate was good and KillerGoose's last post on Volson is entirely accurate. Same with Mike M's on that
Volson's floor is a below average LG from what we seen.

Volson could be much better than what he shown as a rookie...

Right on Nate

I don't know why people get so bent out of shape over stuff like this? A teammate gave his new friend a few good words, a boost of confidence. You really think he was going to say "oh he's very mediocre, it's up in the air whether he makes it or not?"

As I've said before, all things considered Volson did fairly well last year. I'm anxious to see if he can build on that and come out stronger in camp? Or is he destined to be a backup? I'm fine either way.

He was a 4th round pick for crying out loud.
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2023, 01:25 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Getting a bit tired of the back and forth here.

First off, Volson was an above average ROOKIE, slightly below average vs VETS.
Look at his first three games and compare them to the last 3, his arrow is pointing UP.

What else we know is that his Floor appears to be that of a slightly below avg Vet at this time. Since he was able to show improvement last year, then the odds are he will continue to improve and push him into the Avg Guards group or possibly better by the end of the year as well.

I can understand being split on him, but you have to keep him and give him the shot to show improvement, and if he doesn't, then Bengals have options (Ford/Collins).

Uh oh. Should i be scared?

No he wasn't. There were 7 rookie guards that took at least 50% of max snaps and Volson was #4. Right smack in the middle. Average. 

I agree, at this point, with him starting the season. If he doesn't improve by the time Collins is fully healthy, they should consider using someone else at LG. Or deal with his sub-par play and look for a replacement next FA or draft. There's absolutely nothing about his game that indicates he will be a "good" starting NFL guard, up to this point. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2023, 12:30 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Uh oh. Should i be scared?

No he wasn't. There were 7 rookie guards that took at least 50% of max snaps and Volson was #4. Right smack in the middle. Average. 

I agree, at this point, with him starting the season. If he doesn't improve by the time Collins is fully healthy, they should consider using someone else at LG. Or deal with his sub-par play and look for a replacement next FA or draft. There's absolutely nothing about his game that indicates he will be a "good" starting NFL guard, up to this point. 

Except they are fine with him. They have confidence in him.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(06-11-2023, 06:05 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I'm a big fan of The Mike M..The other one can be a tool. 

WTH would anyone want to boost their "count"; are there prizes awarded, of which, I am unaware? 

I am willing to sell some of my count to those looking for immediate credibility enhancement....

Reply/Quote
Reports from OTAs is Volson put on a lot of muscle in the off season. I think everyone is putting in the work this off season.
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2023, 09:04 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: No need to apologize. The graphs weren’t PFF grades, but pressure data aggregated by PFF. That is PFFs bread and butter, data aggregation. I don’t care for their grades, either. I only used RBLK grade because I didn’t know anything else to use.

There’s nuance to the conversation. Volson started off very poorly, but improved as the season went on. By the time the season ended, he was still a below average player, but only slightly so. However, he had been on an upward trend. That’s positive news. If he can do that to some degree in 2023, then he is going to be fine. I don’t think anyone here is saying that he won’t improve, we are just saying that he wasn’t very good in 2022. However, he did improve and can continue to do so.

I don't think Volson was a strength at LG in 2022. My issue is a lot of fans pigeon hole rookies and young players. Was Joe Burrow better in year 2 than year 1? Was he better in year 3 versus year 2?

How about Boyd? Did he getter better after his rookie year?

Those NFL players who want to be great need 2 things. The heart and sole to work hard, listen and learn. They also need position coaches and team mates to help them get better.

I think the answer to my question is simple. What rookie peaks as a rookie? I think a rookie rarely peaks, but gets better. A better Volson in 2023 could mean a lot for our offensive line. I say he gets better, but time will tell.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Volson wasn't good last year, by any stretch. However, as a rookie coming out of a small school, I didn't expect him to be good, either. This year, I think, we'll have a lot better idea of what we have with him. He hasn't shown anywhere near enough for me to crown him, but it's also way too early to write him off. I'll be happy if he shows improvement and can play at low end of average starter level.
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2023, 01:05 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Except they are fine with him. They have confidence in him.

Who gives a ****? Just because someone is "fine" with someone, doesn't mean he's going to be any good. Why can't you understand that? You hang on every word coaches and players say and trust it as gospel. Words don't mean shit.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2023, 01:46 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Who gives a ****? Just because someone is "fine" with someone, doesn't mean he's going to be any good. Why can't you understand that? You hang on every word coaches and players say and trust it as gospel. Words don't mean shit.

Do you expect Volson to improve? That would be a reasonable expectation.
Do you really believe he peaked as a rookie? That seems more than a little far fetched.
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2023, 01:54 PM)SladeX Wrote: Do you expect Volson to improve? That would be a reasonable expectation.
Do you really believe he peaked as a rookie? That seems more than a little far fetched.

Player A Rookie Season: 558 snaps, 7 penalties, 1 sack allowed, 55.5 PFF Rating.

Player B Rookie Season: 1107 snaps, 5 penalties, 5 sacks allowed, 51.6 PFF Rating 

Player A: Billy Price

Player B: Cordel Volson 

Reply/Quote
(06-12-2023, 02:42 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Player A Rookie Season: 558 snaps, 7 penalties, 1 sack allowed, 55.5 PFF Rating.

Player B Rookie Season: 1107 snaps, 5 penalties, 5 sacks allowed, 51.6 PFF Rating 

Player A: Billy Price

Player B: Cordel Volson 

So by using your comparison you are in the camp rookies peak in year one????? Can you give us a Whittworth LT comparison year 1 as the bengals LT and then one a couple of years later?
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2023, 02:50 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: So by using your comparison you are in the camp rookies peak in year one????? Can you give us a Whittworth LT comparison year 1 as the bengals LT and then one a couple of years later?

Nope, I'm in the Camp of It's not "far-fetched" to think a rookie who struggled his rookie season may be because he's just not very good. 

As to Whit: He scored an 81.9 PFF Rating his first year as starting RT . He was good from the start.

Reply/Quote
(06-12-2023, 11:34 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I don't think Volson was a strength at LG in 2022. My issue is a lot of fans pigeon hole rookies and young players. Was Joe Burrow better in year 2 than year 1? Was he better in year 3 versus year 2?

How about Boyd? Did he getter better after his rookie year?

Those NFL players who want to be great need 2 things. The heart and sole to work hard, listen and learn. They also need position coaches and team mates to help them get better.

I think the answer to my question is simple. What rookie peaks as a rookie? I think a rookie rarely peaks, but gets better. A better Volson in 2023 could mean a lot for our offensive line. I say he gets better, but time will tell.

Sometimes, rookies do peak and never get better. I’m not going to say it is often, or that Volson is one or the other but it does happen. We saw a positive trend with Volson as he got better as the season went on. ThTs encouraging. I personally believe he can improve more and be the guy. However, it is very possible that he doesn’t get better than he was last year. It could be out of his control, like an injury, or it could just be him.

Like you said, time will tell. We are getting awfully close to football!
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2023, 01:54 PM)SladeX Wrote: Do you expect Volson to improve? That would be a reasonable expectation.

I think there's a real possibility that he improves. The level of his improvement, i don't know. 

It's just baffing that people keep saying he got better--which he did, but when you're starting from the basement and you don't quite make it to the first floor--but people keep talking about this massive improvement and he can be one of the best...nah, there's no basis in reality for that. 

Reply/Quote
(06-11-2023, 10:20 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Right on Nate

I don't know why people get so bent out of shape over stuff like this? A teammate gave his new friend a few good words, a boost of confidence. You really think he was going to say "oh he's very mediocre, it's up in the air whether he makes it or not?"

As I've said before, all things considered Volson did fairly well last year. I'm anxious to see if he can build on that and come out stronger in camp? Or is he destined to be a backup? I'm fine either way.

He was a 4th round pick for crying out loud.

Yes, impressed me for a 4th round pick. All I hear is praise for Cordell Volson from the players and coaches. His work ethic is fantastic.

Rock On
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2023, 07:27 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yes, impressed me for a 4th round pick. All I hear is praise for Cordell Volson from the players and coaches. His work ethic is fantastic.

Rock On

Name a player the other players and coaches don't praise..

Reply/Quote
(06-12-2023, 07:32 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Name a player the other players and coaches don't praise..

Can't lol 

But some are praised more than others and Volson is one of them.
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2023, 07:27 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yes, impressed me for a 4th round pick. All I hear is praise for Cordell Volson from the players and coaches. His work ethic is fantastic.

Rock On

You know how it goes around here.  A coach or teammate puts some heavy praise on a developing player.

Some of us:  "Yeah, that's great.  I think that he's got a shot at becoming a household name around here".

Some others:  "Dude sux!  He suxed last year, he's going to sux this year, chances are he's going to sux next year, as well"...

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote