Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cordless Power Equipment
I've known about it's existence for a while, but always just thought of it as a novelty for the Townhome folk with little, postage stamp yards. Recently, I was over to a friends house, and I saw he had a cordless weed eater sitting up against the wall. I asked him how he liked it, he said it was great, and offered to let me give it a try. I was impressed, so I decided to get myself one. My gas powered weed eater bit the dust last year (damn ethanol gas), and my corded electric blower that I've had for over 20 years just gave it's last breath this Spring.

I went to my local Lowe's and bought the 80 volt weed eater-blower combo kit. Let me just say that I'm quite impressed with the performance of these products. The blower 500 cu/ft of air per minute, it moves some debris.. The weed eater, I walked out into some two foot tall uncut field, and it just started going through it like regular lawn grass. This performance did come with a cost, the kit cost just over $300, but it also comes with a 5 year warranty on the tools and a 3 year warranty on the battery.

If any of you were contemplating purchasing cordless power equipment, but were skeptical as to how it might perform? Relax and don't be afraid to get the gas can and cord out of your life.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I have used cordless hand tools for a long time. I am sure most people have. But I never used them in any kind of huge project like professional builders would. So I never had any problem with the battery running down. That would be my biggest concern with lawn tools.

I don't buy the top of the line tools, but some of the cordless hand tools are incredibly powerful. I saw a guy who had built a homemade winch just using an electric drill motor. He obviously had it geared down, but it lifted over 200 lbs. three stories with no problem.

Like any other technology the batteries will just get lighter, longer lasting, and more powerful as time goes on.
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2020, 05:51 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I have used cordless hand tools for a long time.  I am sure most people have.  But I never used them in any kind of huge project like professional builders would.  So I never had any problem with the battery running down.  That would be my biggest concern with lawn tools.

I don't buy the top of the line tools, but some of the cordless hand tools are incredibly powerful.  I saw a guy who had built a homemade winch just using an electric drill motor.  He obviously had it geared down, but it lifted over 200 lbs. three stories with no problem.

Like any other technology the batteries will just get lighter, longer lasting, and more powerful as time goes on.

Oh, I've had cordless drills, saws, and combo kits for the past 25 years.  What I was skeptical of, was how they could translate that into workable power for yard equipment.  I think the brushless electric motor technology is what makes the difference.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I got a lot of cordless stuff. Works great. Leaf blower is powerful, but on a full charge, I’ve only got about a 1/2 hr of intermittent use and maybe 10 minute constant use. It’s a Kobalt. My weed eater is 20v and has been good to me. As well as my cordless drill. Those are Black and Deckers. I’ve had other B&D shit like leaf blower, bush trimmer, screwdriver, etc. don’t recommend those.

Reply/Quote
Not sure which brand you went with, Sunset, but I dipped my toe into the cordless yard tools with an Ego weed eater about 5 years ago and love it. Can do everything my old gas-powered equipment could. And it's so much cleaner. Last year, I added the blower to the mix. Lots of options on sizes, and I'm just as pleased with it. I don't kid myself into thinking that it's better for the environment in any way with those batteries, but from a noise, cleanliness and functional standpoint, I've been converted!
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2020, 05:38 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I've known about it's existence for a while, but always just thought of it as a novelty for the Townhome folk with little, postage stamp yards.  Recently, I was over to a friends house, and I saw he had a cordless weed eater sitting up against the wall.  I asked him how he liked it, he said it was great, and offered to let me give it a try.  I was impressed, so I decided to get myself one.  My gas powered weed eater bit the dust last year (damn ethanol gas), and my corded electric blower that I've had for over 20 years just gave it's last breath this Spring.

I went to my local Lowe's and bought the 80 volt weed eater-blower combo kit.  Let me just say that I'm quite impressed with the performance of these products.  The blower 500 cu/ft of air per minute, it moves some debris..  The weed eater, I walked out into some two foot tall uncut field, and it just started going through it like regular lawn grass.  This performance did come with a cost, the kit cost just over $300, but it also comes with a 5 year warranty on the tools and a 3 year warranty on the battery.

If any of you were contemplating purchasing cordless power equipment, but were skeptical as to how it might perform?  Relax and don't be afraid to get the gas can and cord out of your life.

Over the last 3 years or so I've been thru like 4 gas weed eaters. Can't keep them running for nothing ! Like you say ethanol I guess ? I've had a couple elcheapo battery weed eaters over the years but this year I went and got a good one. I'll never mess with a gas one again. 
Reply/Quote
My ex-wife had a Steely Dan III from Yokohama, but it had been converted from steam power to run off a 12v car battery.

It seemed a little dangerous to me, but she claimed it was very effective.
Reply/Quote
My dad recently switched to a battery weed eater and likes it. For me I stick with Stihl gas powered weed eaters. I have a lot of fence and landscaping block to trim around. I run it hard and it has never had a problem. It starts well after being stored in the garage over the winter after about four pulls. During the season it starts in two or three.

For lawn mowers Honda. My dad is still using the same Honda mower he's had since the early eighties. Mine is one he gave to me and is about 6 years old. I turn the fuel line valve to off and let it run until it stops when getting ready for winter. In the spring starting it for the first time no more than two or three pulls and it starts right up.

I thought about going battery but I just like the power of my Sthil and not having to worry about running out of a charge part way through the job.

As far as other cordless power tools, I have a nice set of DeWalt 20VMAX that I love. Circular saw, impact driver and drill. I've run them all through the ropes doing stuff around the house over the last few years and they work great. The batteries hold a decent charge to get a lot of work done before needing to recharge.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
I got a battery powered lawn mower (we've got about a half of an acre we mow) and chainsaw. Love the crap out of them. I'm not out cutting down 80-foot oaks or anything, but the chainsaw cuts any branches I've got, and I've cut trees down up to a foot in diameter.

Only problem is, the brand (Worx) apparently doesn't make that size battery anymore. Or something. I've looked for two years and it's out of stock everywhere. The mower takes two batteries and it mows a little over half the yard on a full charge.

But, all in all, I'm happy with the performance. Just wish they had more batteries on the market.
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2020, 05:38 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I've known about it's existence for a while, but always just thought of it as a novelty for the Townhome folk with little, postage stamp yards.  Recently, I was over to a friends house, and I saw he had a cordless weed eater sitting up against the wall.  I asked him how he liked it, he said it was great, and offered to let me give it a try.  I was impressed, so I decided to get myself one.  My gas powered weed eater bit the dust last year (damn ethanol gas), and my corded electric blower that I've had for over 20 years just gave it's last breath this Spring.

I went to my local Lowe's and bought the 80 volt weed eater-blower combo kit.  Let me just say that I'm quite impressed with the performance of these products.  The blower 500 cu/ft of air per minute, it moves some debris..  The weed eater, I walked out into some two foot tall uncut field, and it just started going through it like regular lawn grass.  This performance did come with a cost, the kit cost just over $300, but it also comes with a 5 year warranty on the tools and a 3 year warranty on the battery.

If any of you were contemplating purchasing cordless power equipment, but were skeptical as to how it might perform?  Relax and don't be afraid to get the gas can and cord out of your life.

About a month ago i went out and bought a new cordless mower and weed eater. I went with the 40v to save a little money, just in case i didn't like it. Let me tell you, the mower is absolutely amazing. Quiet, cuts the same as my old gas powered and i can easily get 2 mows of the front and back yard before i charge the battery. The weed eater feels a bit weaker to me but i've only used it on the lower speed. This weekend i'll have to give it a go on the higher speed for a better gauge. I have a few pretty substantial weeds around the fence line in back, so it should get a good workout. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Cordless Power Equipment: A woman's dream. LOL

Reply/Quote
A friend has many Ego tools (mower, trimmer, blower, and chainsaw) and swears by them.

I won't go that route, as I have a ton of attachments for my gas trimmer and am not going to buy it all again, nor am I giving up my tractor and attachments to push a battery powered mower.
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2020, 07:52 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: A friend has many Ego tools (mower, trimmer, blower, and chainsaw) and swears by them.

I won't go that route, as I have a ton of attachments for my gas trimmer and am not going to buy it all again, nor am I giving up my tractor and attachments to push a battery powered mower.

I hear ya, where I currently live (about .4 acre lot) the cordless toys will do just fine.  However, when I move back to my 20 acres in Southern Oh. in about 2 years, I'll be looking to get something from the Massey Ferguson 1700 series.  They make fantastic hill tractors, and I'll need one, along with a few attachments.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2020, 07:52 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: A friend has many Ego tools (mower, trimmer, blower, and chainsaw) and swears by them.

All of the attachments from my gas weed eater work on my battery powered one. I just made the switch this year. Wish I would have done it sooner. 
Reply/Quote

As you know I am in Construction so I have used most everything. But the new cordless/battery powered tools from Harbor Freight
are kickass man. Hercules has drills, skill saws that are better than anything that I ran before so far. Better than Dewalt, Rigid, and 
all the others I have tried. Bought a battery powered chainsaw from them as well, Atlas brand and it is awesome.

Got some great battery powered tools nowadays.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2020, 06:25 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: As you know I am in Construction so I have used most everything. But the new cordless/battery powered tools from Harbor Freight
are kickass man. Hercules has drills, skill saws that are better than anything that I ran before so far. Better than Dewault, Rigid, and 
all the others I have tried. Bought a battery powered chainsaw from them as well, Atlas brand and it is awesome.

Another thing about what they have at Harbor Freight is that it's about half of hat the big name tools cost.  So, if you buy two of them for what it costs for one name brand, they will more than outlast the expensive tools.  
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(09-08-2020, 06:25 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: As you know I am in Construction so I have used most everything. But the new cordless/battery powered tools from Harbor Freight
are kickass man. Hercules has drills, skill saws that are better than anything that I ran before so far. Better than Dewault, Rigid, and 

A lot of "tool snobs" seem to look down upon, and talk shit about Harbor Freight, but I've had pretty good luck with their stuff, as well.  I'll give you a prime example.  Back when I was doing tile and stone (among other types of flooring), a DeWalt or Makita angle grinder would be good for about a year, maybe year and a half of hard use.  I had one where the bearings went out, and the cutting wheel would no longer hold a straight line.  The job was at a retail store, so the work was at night.  The only place open was Harbor Freight.  I bought their $20 angle grinder, and couldn't have been more pleased.

Not only did the Chicago Tool brand perform better out of the box than the name brand ones that cost over $100 each, that thing lasted nearly 5 years before it bit the dust.  And I believe that happened because it got left out in the rain..  So, you'll never hear me criticize Harbor Freight, or anyone who gets their tools from them.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2020, 06:30 PM)McC Wrote: Another thing about what they have at Harbor Freight is that it's about half of hat the big name tools cost.  So, if you buy two of them for what it coat for one name brand, they will more than outlast the expensive tools.  

Yes sir and a life time warranty on most their stuff. The Batteries cost the most, but they are worth it.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2020, 06:43 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: A lot of "tool snobs" seem to look down upon, and talk shit about Harbor Freight, but I've had pretty good luck with their stuff, as well.  I'll give you a prime example.  Back when I was doing tile and stone (among other types of flooring), a DeWalt or Makita angle grinder would be good for about a year, maybe year and a half of hard use.  I had one where the bearings went out, and the cutting wheel would no longer hold a straight line.  The job was at a retail store, so the work was at night.  The only place open was Harbor Freight.  I bought their $20 angle grinder, and couldn't have been more pleased.

Not only did the Chicago Tool brand perform better out of the box than the name brand ones that cost over $100 each, that thing lasted nearly 5 years before it bit the dust.  And I believe that happened because it got left out in the rain..  So, you'll never hear me criticize Harbor Freight, or anyone who gets their tools from them.

No doubt brother, love Harbor Freight. Their grinder discs are one tenth the price of the discs I have to be buy at the local shops
and they are 10 times better. It is the place to go, bought us a Predator Generator from them lately and a bunch of the tool boxes 
for doing mechanics. Can store and entire shop in 4 tool boxes, one of each color, red, black, green and yellow.

Not the big tools mind you, but sure makes the shop much more open and free.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2020, 01:07 PM)mallorian69 Wrote: All of the attachments from my gas weed eater work on my battery powered one. I just made the switch this year. Wish I would have done it sooner. 

Which attachments and which battery powered trimmer?

My stuff is all either Trimmer Plus or Ryobi.

If those are the same attachments you have, your answer might bum me out.  I blew the motor on mine this summer and bought a new one already...
Reply/Quote