Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Corey Dillon chimes in on Marvin Lewis
(12-01-2016, 02:20 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: That 2004 Pats team was actually centered around Dillon. He ran for 1635 yards in 15 games and they rode him all the way to a championship. Keep in mind that Corey was 30 at the time. Now imagine if he'd played his whole career there. It's a shame he won't make the HOF.

In the 97 draft the Patriots were the next team to select a RB after the Bengals took Dillon.  17 picks between football purgatory and the Hall of Fame  Mellow

Fueled by satanism, violence, and sodomy, dinosaurs had little chance to survive as a species.

Reply/Quote
(12-01-2016, 02:20 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: That 2004 Pats team was actually centered around Dillon. He ran for 1635 yards in 15 games and they rode him all the way to a championship. Keep in mind that Corey was 30 at the time. Now imagine if he'd played his whole career there. It's a shame he won't make the HOF.

Imagine the level of frustration you must feel, knowing how good you are, but languishing on one terrible team after another.  Having to deal with Mike Brown and his "frugality" on a daily basis.  Knowing what you could do if only you had an even decent team around you. Knowing that you are missing out on fame and sponsorship money because of where you play and who you're surrounded with.  This guy was a star on some absolutely terrible teams.  Opponents knew he was the offense, but still could not stop him.

As you say, you put Corey Dillon on most other teams and he has a gold jacket.
Reply/Quote
It is just so incredibly wrong and sad what MB does to the Bengals overall and the great athletes that never got/get a chance to win anything here.

If there is one cancer the Bengals have, it is by far MB, hands down, no other way about it. MB should be jailed for crimes against great athletes.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2016, 09:52 PM)Southendbengal Wrote: I reckon you can say such is the life of a professional sports fan. I know some examples such as Brady remain but the vast majority of players don't stay with the one team there whole career.

Although I will admit that in the NFL it does happen more regularly than other sports such as soccer and rugby over here in Europe.

I can't speak as to basketball or Ice hockey (I don't follow them at all).

Is it expected more in the US for players to stay with a team there whole career?

Oh no, I was referring to the Bengals losing out on some good talents that may have helped us win a playoff game or two while Palmer and Co. were still pretty young.  We're constantly getting kicked in the sack with "good luck". LMAO

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2016, 11:40 AM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: Imagine the level of frustration you must feel, knowing how good you are, but languishing on one terrible team after another.  Having to deal with Mike Brown and his "frugality" on a daily basis.  Knowing what you could do if only you had an even decent team around you. Knowing that you are missing out on fame and sponsorship money because of where you play and who you're surrounded with.  This guy was a star on some absolutely terrible teams.  Opponents knew he was the offense, but still could not stop him.

It's frustrating just reading that. Living it? Ugh. Imagine if the Browns drafted AP. That was CD's first 7 years.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I still remember one tv interview when asked about the Bengals he said, "Man, they don't even want to win." which I actually believe. Those teams showed very little interest in winning. It was as if the only reason anyone bothered playing for the Bengals was because they at least were able to get seen by other teams and if they stood out as great players all they had to do was wait for their contracts to expire to get a better offer.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Contrary to how it feels MB isn't going to live forever. Sadly when he was a young man he was able to breed and produce offspring. I suspect they won't do too much differently than the old man. My window of rooting for the franchise is closing. If they continue the same path my allegiance will change. I no longer live in the area so if his kids do the same thing the old man does I'll be done as a Bengals fan once and for all.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(12-01-2016, 12:28 PM)grampahol Wrote: Contrary to how it feels MB isn't going to live forever. Sadly when he was a young man he was able to breed and produce offspring. I suspect they won't do too much differently than the old man. My window of rooting for the franchise is closing. If they continue the same path my allegiance will change. I no longer live in the area so if his kids do the same thing the old man does I'll be done as a Bengals fan once and for all.

I hear ya. Hell I'm only 28 and I'm sick enough of Mike Brown's Bengals. I'll give Katie a few years of loyalty after Mike passes but if she continues his frugal, lackadaisical approach to owning a football team I will be done. I would hope most people would be.

She should hopefully know first hand how awful her father is at running the team. Thankfully, her convincing Mike to keep Marvin after the 2010 season (or whatever she did... I know she challenged her father on something and won lol) shows she may have at least a little football knowledge. But there's still plenty more she needs to do to show she is serious about winning and won't be a penny-pinching bee-yotch. 

There would be absolutely no point in cheering for a hopeless franchise. Katie has to change the entire approach her father had. Will she? Honestly, I doubt it... But I'll give her a chance. If she doesn't change the culture, then I'm done. Not just with the Bengals but with the NFL in general. There's no way I could change my allegiance and cheer for another team, just not possible. The league is in a downward spin anyway, so I'd likely just have to go out and actually enjoy my Sunday's for a change
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2016, 02:35 PM)ZWP Wrote: Yep. That's really all that needs to be said. A fresh start is what we need. And we need it while our window of opportunity has not closed.

Not while Marv is blocking that window.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(12-01-2016, 12:17 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: It's frustrating just reading that. Living it? Ugh. Imagine if the Browns drafted AP. That was CD's first 7 years.

I remember lurking on the Browns board leading up to the 2007 draft. Almost all of them were on the AP train. They wound up crushed when they passed over him.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2016, 05:17 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I remember lurking on the Browns board leading up to the 2007 draft. Almost all of them were on the AP train. They wound up crushed when they passed over him.

Think of all the really good players, at positions of need, that franchise has passed up and it is mind boggling.  They have no franchise quarterback.  Not only did they pass up Wentz this past year, but I saw that they passed up Dak Prescott EIGHT times before he was drafted by Dallas.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2016, 05:24 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: Think of all the really good players, at positions of need, that franchise has passed up and it is mind boggling.  They have no franchise quarterback.  Not only did they pass up Wentz this past year, but I saw that they passed up Dak Prescott EIGHT times before he was drafted by Dallas.

The Browns were all about that PFF football analytics this year.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2016, 05:39 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: The Browns were all about that PFF football analytics this year.

Gotta take statistics in their context.

And Corey Dillon is right about Marvin.

Reply/Quote
my daughter's first game ever was when he broke the single game rushing record. I told her there's really no reason to ever come back.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(12-01-2016, 11:40 AM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: Imagine the level of frustration you must feel, knowing how good you are, but languishing on one terrible team after another.  Having to deal with Mike Brown and his "frugality" on a daily basis.  Knowing what you could do if only you had an even decent team around you. Knowing that you are missing out on fame and sponsorship money because of where you play and who you're surrounded with.  This guy was a star on some absolutely terrible teams.  Opponents knew he was the offense, but still could not stop him.

And proof of how much things have changed since then is the high number of quality players that re-sign with the Bengals instead of leaving in free agency.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2016, 02:35 PM)Wyche Wrote: Hell man, even Lee Johnson was fed up.  You know it's bad when the punter/kicker speaks up......Takeo Spikes was another one that got fed up during that era.

Carl Pickens too
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2016, 01:25 PM)fredtoast Wrote: And proof of how much things have changed since then is the high number of quality players that re-sign with the Bengals instead of leaving in free agency.

Yep, we've gone from the worst of the worst to the worst of the good teams.  The only reason we retain good FAs is due to the cap floor.  Without it, Son of Paul would still be Scrooge McDuck-ing it out there.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Its not just lack of spending money. It's what they choose to spend the money they do have to spend on. John Thorton, Manny Lawson Brandon Lafell Antonio Bryant Richmond Webb, Even resigning below average talent like Maluaga , Peko , Nugent , Hewitt. You would think a true busines savvy guy would get the most bang for his buck.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2016, 01:46 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Its not just lack of spending money. It's what they choose to spend the money they do have to spend  on. John Thorton, Manny Lawson Brandon Lafell Antonio Bryant Richmond Webb, Even resigning below average talent like Maluaga , Peko , Nugent , Hewitt. You would think a true busines savvy guy would get the most bang for his buck.

Well in fairness, they almost signed Kevin Greene once, but lost out when they flew him in on a coach ticket. Then they almost signed Warren Sapp, but lost out when they played with the bonus money. Mikey has always been willing to swing for the fences...as long as the bat is really cheap and you place the ball on a tee. Ninja
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2016, 09:18 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Well in fairness, they almost signed Kevin Greene once, but lost out when they flew him in on a coach ticket. Then they almost signed Warren Sapp, but lost out when they played with the bonus money. Mikey has always been willing to swing for the fences...as long as the bat is really cheap and you place the ball on a tee. Ninja

Remember the Shaun Rogers ordeal? Mike is a POS
Reply/Quote