Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cornerback
(03-14-2022, 05:26 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: What do we want to see happen at cornerback? We basically have Awuzie and Hilton.

Bengals weren't great defending the pass last year. We obviously have to upgrade either in FA or the draft. Knowing how much the Bengals value CB, I have this weird feeling they are going to sign a tier 1 or 2 guy in FA.

Who do we like?

JC Jackson
Stephon Gilmore
Carlton Davis
Charvrious Ward
Casey Heyward
Steven Nelson
Darius Williams

(03-14-2022, 05:31 PM)casear2727 Wrote: You dont have any of mine... 

CB1 options:
Donte Jackson (borderline T1/T2)   (one of the fastest CBs in the league and an LSU guy). 10M
Rasul Douglas (T2). (6'2, 26 yrs old, Packers want to keep him but ran out of money). 6.75M

Depth/Develop
Ahkello Witherspoon  (6'2, 26 yrs old) 4M

Lots of options that could be better than Apple honestly. But they have to fit what Lou runs. I like Casey Heyward, Stephon 
Gilmore, Donte Jackson, Charvarious Ward, Rasul Douglas and your guy Witherspoon Casear.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 10:13 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Lots of options that could be better than Apple honestly. But they have to fit what Lou runs. I like Casey Heyward, Stephon 
Gilmore, Donte Jackson, Charvarious Ward, Rasul Douglas and your guy Witherspoon Casear.

Many guys on your list are so good they could fit any scheme most likely..... Witherspoon is a developmental guy with big upside played with Awuzie in college - PITT guys thought we had an inside track.. ?

Rasul may be a one year wonder but he had a hell of a one year.

Chase lit up Ward but then turned around and said he was the toughest CB he faced at the end of the reg season.

Gilmore is so solid and may be ring hunting.

Heyward another solid vet.

We are better with any of these guys than we were last year in the secondary.

Donte's speed mixed with our guys is just a special formula and not top tier cash....

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 10:22 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Many guys on your list are so good they could fit any scheme most likely..... Witherspoon is a developmental guy with big upside played with Awuzie in college - PITT guys thought we had an inside track.. ?

Rasul may be a one year wonder but he had a hell of a one year.

Chase lit up Ward but then turned around and said he was the toughest CB he faced at the end of the reg season.

Gilmore is so solid and may be ring hunting.

Heyward another solid vet.

We are better with any of these guys than we were last year in the secondary.

Donte's speed mixed with our guys is just a special formula and not top tier cash....

Yes and if we do what we want and trade for La'el we can afford one of them. Rock On
Reply/Quote
Charvarious Ward got 3 years 42 million from SF. Did not see that one coming…
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 01:01 AM)Au165 Wrote: Charvarious Ward got 3 years 42 million from SF. Did not see that one coming…

yeah he got 4 or 5 mill a yr more than I thought he would.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 01:03 AM)pulses Wrote: yeah he got 4 or 5 mill a yr more than I thought he would.

At this rate Eli Apple may get 10 a year…
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 01:01 AM)Au165 Wrote: Charvarious Ward got 3 years 42 million from SF. Did not see that one coming…

That is exactly the number PFF project 3yrs 14M per and 23M guaranteed (actual is 26.7 guaranteed)

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 01:05 AM)casear2727 Wrote: That is exactly the number PFF project 3yrs 14M per and 23M guaranteed (actual is 26.7 guaranteed)

…yea, he ain’t worth that haha. Legitimately, he isn’t much better than Eli Apple.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 01:07 AM)Au165 Wrote: …yea, he ain’t worth that haha. Legitimately, he isn’t much better than Eli Apple.

neither is Donte Jackson  but everyone drools over him and his speed
Reply/Quote
Kendall Sheffield, should he become available, is my guy. Peeked over on the Falcons board and many expect/want him cut. Why do I want him? I think he fits the bill for what tools Lou likes in his CBs. Sheffield, a Buckeye, was a 5th round pick in 2019 who was taken more for his upside but hasn't really materialized, though he has shown flashes. He appears to be better on the boundary than in the slot from what I've read. Could slide into the Eli Apple role, especially if we don't retain him. Anarumo got more out of Apple than all his previous coaches did, so I feel Sheffield is at least someone to work with.

Ideally we sign two cornerbacks. If a Kaiir Elam or Andrew Booth falls to us at 31, I would love that. Would love for us to not have any real need going into the draft and go pure BPA.
Build a great wall up front to protect Burrow!
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 05:56 PM)jj22 Wrote: JC Jackson a Charger.

The salary cap is a myth....  Ninja Ninja

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 06:09 PM)pulses Wrote: 5 for 82.5 and 40 signing bonus

Phew lord. We couldn’t have done that comfortably. Good job LAC.

We still have options
-Housh
Reply/Quote
Casey Hayward Jr + Eli Apple or another depth guy

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Two names we're being linked to this morning (take this with a grain of salt) if we don't sign Gilmore (very unlikely), are Patrick Peterson, and Darious Williams. Personally, if these are the two names we're looking into, give me Williams. Youth & Upside > Age & Decline. We could sign both and I would be happy with that. 1 yr for Peterson and 3yr for Williams.
"Whose kitty litter did I just s*** in?"

"He got Ajax from the dish soap!"
Reply/Quote
I think too we cant look at CBs that Chase and Higgins torched. Iv seen some friends talking about corners like the Steelers boy Nelson and they say "We shouldn't get him we torched him when we played. You cant judge corners off what Jamarr Chase did to them. Statistically Randy Moss is likely the best rookie WR of all time but to most people who actually saw both they will tell you Chase was the guy. He was well beyond his years.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 08:25 AM)Bengalpool Wrote: Two names we're being linked to this morning (take this with a grain of salt) if we don't sign Gilmore (very unlikely), are Patrick Peterson, and Darious Williams. Personally, if these are the two names we're looking into, give me Williams. Youth & Upside > Age & Decline. We could sign both and I would be happy with that. 1 yr for Peterson and 3yr for Williams.

My guess is Pat Pete.

He will not be alot of money and hes still good but has declined to the point where even he cant be expecting over 10 mill

We have to keep in mind too we need a STARTER. Trae W. just cant be trusted anymore. I think we are cutting him as soon as we sign a replacement.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 06:26 PM)grampahol Wrote: Apple isn't my first choice among all FAs, but he did settle down nicely after a rocky start and we went to the super bowl with him @ the position. They could have done a hell of a lot worse than Apple last year. 

This guy didn't watch the super bowl

It's absolutely mind blowing we still have people on the Eli Apple bandwagon. 
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2022, 11:38 PM)basballguy Wrote: This guy didn't watch the super bowl

Deciding that one game defined the guys whole season is kind of weird. He was objectively good down the stretch and is a low end #2 quality corner. Cooper Kupp against any teams #2 is going to demolish them. I mean heck, look what Ward just got paid and Chase put up 200 yards on him.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2022, 11:38 PM)basballguy Wrote: This guy didn't watch the super bowl

In all good conscience I cannot say a guy is trash because he cant guard Cooper Kupp 1 v 1 in the endzone.

Apple was SUPPOSED to be our 4th guy but he played kinda good all playoffs for a guy that had to guard Tyreke Hill, Julio Jones and Cooper Kupp/OBJ. 

If he can be had for 3 mill 1 yr then im fine. 

Cooper Kupp wouldve did that shit to everyone in the league but Jalen Ramsey. PERIOD. 

I posted this right after the bowl. That last TD they scored was the coaches fault. You just dont ask Apple to do that with your whole season on the line. Honestly that last call makes me question LOU HEAVILY and i honestly feel hes a dumbass for that call. That wasnt just a run of the mill bad choice. To me its as bad as Pete Carroll not running against New England. It was a coach knowing that if his call failed the media would blame Apple. I do not like Lou for that call but Apple shouldnt be the one on the grill for it.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 08:25 AM)Bengalpool Wrote: Two names we're being linked to this morning (take this with a grain of salt) if we don't sign Gilmore (very unlikely), are Patrick Peterson, and Darious Williams. Personally, if these are the two names we're looking into, give me Williams. Youth & Upside > Age & Decline. We could sign both and I would be happy with that. 1 yr for Peterson and 3yr for Williams.

Williams to the Jags

Reply/Quote