Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 4.29 Average
Coronavirus Information...who do you trust?
(07-26-2020, 01:16 PM)bfine32 Wrote: How many people would be motivated to return to work; if you could make more not working:
https://www.yahoo.com/gma/white-house-chief-staff-details-plan-unemployment-benefits-135624062--abc-news-topstories.html

IMO, the desire to extend this unemployment bonus while not eliminating payroll taxes is a tactic to ensure those that have a choice chose to stay home while those that have no choice must make less.

I get this argument.  I really do.

But most people aren't off work because the chose to be in the first place.  We are in a pandemic that was poorly handled and places were forced to close down.  The bigger issue is that a lot of states make getting unemployment so hard and pay so little because they don't want to see the numbers and they want people to go find a job, any job.  Really this hasn't changed since the 80's and it's all part of the union busting, wage lowering, benefit removing plan that has been in place since then which really goes off on another tangent.

We just hired someone who was laid off, has no idea when his old job will reopen, but he figured when those extended benefits ran out a bunch of people would be looking for work more than they are now.  We're looking to hire a couple more guys so we'll see if next week when the benefits expire brings any more resumes than the three we've had in the past month.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2020, 01:49 PM)GMDino Wrote: I get this argument.  I really do.

But most people aren't off work because the chose to be in the first place.  We are in a pandemic that was poorly handled and places were forced to close down.  The bigger issue is that a lot of states make getting unemployment so hard and pay so little because they don't want to see the numbers and they want people to go find a job, any job.  Really this hasn't changed since the 80's and it's all part of the union busting, wage lowering, benefit removing plan that has been in place since then which really goes off on another tangent.

We just hired someone who was laid off, has no idea when his old job will reopen, but he figured when those extended benefits ran out a bunch of people would be looking for work more than they are now.  We're looking to hire a couple more guys so we'll see if next week when the benefits expire brings any more resumes than the three we've had in the past month.

Can you get unemployment if you refuse a job?  I didn't think you could.
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2020, 01:53 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Can you get unemployment if you refuse a job?  I didn't think you could.

Now you're getting the point. Why take a job if you can make more not working? 

Now make unemployment less lucrative and make working more so; then folks will be more likely to return to work. 

Took my lawnmower in for service this week and the owner said it will take longer than usual because he cannot get anyone to work. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2020, 02:02 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Now you're getting the point. Why take a job if you can make more not working? 

Now make unemployment less lucrative and make working more so; then folks will be more likely to return to work. 

Took my lawnmower in for service this week and the owner said it will take longer than usual because he cannot get anyone to work. 

Because if you don't take a job that is offered you're not eligible to receive unemployment.
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2020, 02:24 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Because if you don't take a job that is offered you're not eligible to receive unemployment.

How does the agency know a job was offered? 

Admittedly I'm not expert on drawing unemployment. I drew it for about 3 weeks when I had a break in service. In those days you had to show up at the office and show them where you applied. Folks would apply at places they knew they wouldn't get accepted. But I find it hard to believe an auto mechanic couldn't draw unemployment if he refused to work at my guy's lawn mower repair shop. 

Reply/Quote
(07-26-2020, 02:30 PM)bfine32 Wrote: How does the agency know a job was offered? 

Admittedly I'm not expert on drawing unemployment. I drew it for about 3 weeks when I had a break in service. In those days you had to show up at the office and show them where you applied. Folks would apply at places they knew they wouldn't get accepted. But I find it hard to believe an auto mechanic couldn't draw unemployment if he refused to work at my guy's lawn mower repair shop. 

I think it comes down to "honor" code. The agency will ask if you refused employment, as part of their process. If you did and you are truthful about it, then they know. If you're not truthful, I don't believe the agency really has a way to know unless someone else who knows the situation reports you.
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2020, 02:30 PM)bfine32 Wrote: How does the agency know a job was offered? 

Did you apply to places you knew wouldn't hire you? Or was that just everybody except you?

Auto shops shouldn't have been affected by government shut downs.  Thus auto mechanics shouldn't be out of work because of Covid 19.  Quick check of average salaries for auto mechanics shows every state's average salary is above $15/hour or more than $600/week.  So if your guy's lawn mower repair shop can't hire an auto mechanic it is because he isn't offering a competitive salary.
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2020, 02:46 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Did you apply to places you knew wouldn't hire you? Or was that just everybody except you?

Auto shops shouldn't have been affected by government shut downs.  Thus auto mechanics shouldn't be out of work because of Covid 19.  Quick check of average salaries for auto mechanics shows every state's average salary is above $15/hour or more than $600/week.  So if your guy's lawn mower repair shop can't hire an auto mechanic it is because he isn't offering a competitive salary.

It wasn't me or everyone, but I'd have to think if you could "earn" more money for your family by not working than you could working you might be faced with a morale dilemma.

Everyone was affected by COVID 19. So there's more to it than just being offered a job?  

Reply/Quote
(07-26-2020, 02:50 PM)bfine32 Wrote: It wasn't me or everyone, but I'd have to think if you could "earn" more money for your family by not working than you could working you might be faced with a morale dilemma.

Everyone was affected by COVID 19. So there's more to it than just being offered a job?  

But, you're discussing unemployment benefits due to Covid 19.  Not everyone is receiving unemployment benefits because of Covid 19.
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2020, 03:01 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: But, you're discussing unemployment benefits due to Covid 19.  Not everyone is receiving unemployment benefits because of Covid 19.

I agree. Many are receiving it because they can make more money. 

My point is a simple one. Paying a $600 kicker makes staying or going on unemployment more lucrative than working in many instances. 

Is this example far fetched.

I'm working at Mc Donalds, I just found out I can make more money if I don't work. What is my motivation to keep my job? 

Now the same scenario except I don't make that extra money and I can actually take home more if they eliminate my payroll taxes. Now what is my motivation?

Reply/Quote
(07-26-2020, 03:11 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I agree. Many are receiving it because they can make more money. 

My point is a simple one. Paying a $600 kicker makes staying or going on unemployment more lucrative than working in many instances. 

Is this example far fetched.

I'm working at Mc Donalds, I just found out I can make more money if I don't work. What is my motivation to keep my job? 

Now the same scenario except I don't make that extra money and I can actually take home more if they eliminate my payroll taxes. Now what is my motivation?

If you're working at McDonald's . . . you have a job.  If you have a job, you don't get unemployment.  If you quit your job at McDonalds you won't be eligible for unemployment.
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2020, 03:27 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: If you're working at McDonald's . . . you have a job.  If you have a job, you don't get unemployment.  If you quit your job at McDonalds you won't be eligible for unemployment.

Oh, I don't quit; I just can't always make it in and when I do I'm not the good worker I once was. "bfine I'm going to need you on the grill this Friday night. Sorry I can't I've got church. Also it's getting harder and harder for me to work in the mask. I think it's affecting my health".

We can continue to play the round and round game or you can share your views on a $600 unemployment kicker versus a payroll tax reduction. 

Reply/Quote
(07-26-2020, 03:33 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Oh, I don't quit; I just can't always make it in and when I do I'm not the good worker I once was. "bfine I'm going to need you on the grill this Friday night. Sorry I can't I've got church. Also it's getting harder and harder for me to work in the mask. I think it's affecting my health".

We can continue to play the round and round game or you can share your views on a $600 unemployment kicker versus a payroll tax reduction. 

In Ohio you have to be lose you job through no fault of your own to qualify for unemployment. If you have shitty attendance and are a shitty worker and get fired that’s your fault.
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2020, 03:33 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Oh, I don't quit; I just can't always make it in and when I do I'm not the good worker I once was. "bfine I'm going to need you on the grill this Friday night. Sorry I can't I've got church. Also it's getting harder and harder for me to work in the mask. I think it's affecting my health".

https://kcc.ky.gov/career/If-you-are-an-Employer/Pages/Frequently-asked-questions.aspx

If you're fired for misconduct in Kentucky, you're not eligible for unemployment, either.
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2020, 03:44 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: https://kcc.ky.gov/career/If-you-are-an-Employer/Pages/Frequently-asked-questions.aspx

If you're fired for misconduct in Kentucky, you're not eligible for unemployment, either.

Not misconduct; I just couldn't make it in and that mask is really starting to bother me.

From your link:

Q: If I fire an employee for absenteeism, is he or she eligible for UI benefits?

A: If an employee’s absences amount to misconduct connected with the work, he or she will be disqualified. Generally, good cause for missing work is not misconduct. Simple numbers of days or percentages of lost time cannot show a worker is guilty of misconduct.

Quote:We can continue to play the round and round game or you can share your views on a $600 unemployment kicker versus a payroll tax reduction.

But I do look forward to you sharing more KY employment law with me. 

Reply/Quote
I'm just thinking we should be talking about why so many jobs pay so little that an extra $600 makes it worth it.

But while that gets kicked around let's also examine the UI system of most states that aren't 21st century enough to handle the sheer volume of enrollment right now, Florida for example where they REDESIGNED the system to make it harder to collect unemployment.

And throw in that THAT makes setting a percentage of increase during a special occasion like this almost impossible so they had to settle on a flat number meaning some people made more than when they were working but man were still making less.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2020, 03:49 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Not misconduct; I just couldn't make it in and that mask is really starting to bother me.

From your link:

Q: If I fire an employee for absenteeism, is he or she eligible for UI benefits?

A: If an employee’s absences amount to misconduct connected with the work, he or she will be disqualified. Generally, good cause for missing work is not misconduct. Simple numbers of days or percentages of lost time cannot show a worker is guilty of misconduct.

But I do look forward to you sharing more KY employment law with me. 

“I just couldn’t make it” isn’t a good reason for missing work. Absenteeism without good reason is disqualifying for unemployment benefits in Kentucky as you can clearly read.

McDonalds contracts with occupational medicine clinics for Worker Comp injuries. One of the functions of an occupational medicine clinic is to determine if it is safe for prospective employees to wear respirators. So if the mask is bothering you, we’ll get you an appointment to determine if you have a medical condition that would require a medical exemption to wearing a mask or cloth face covering. If so we can provide you with modified duty. If not, then you can wear the mask no matter how much it bothers you.
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2020, 10:20 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: “I just couldn’t make it” isn’t a good reason for missing work. Absenteeism without good reason is disqualifying for unemployment benefits in Kentucky as you can clearly read.

McDonalds contracts with occupational medicine clinics for Worker Comp injuries. One of the functions of an occupational medicine clinic is to determine if it is safe for prospective employees to wear respirators. So if the mask is bothering you, we’ll get you an appointment to determine if you have a medical condition that would require a medical exemption to wearing a mask or cloth face covering. If so we can provide you with modified duty. If not, then you can wear the mask no matter how much it bothers you.
Doesn't need to be a "good reason" (who, besides you, determines that anyway); it simply needs to not qualify as misconduct,

For the 4th time:

Quote:We can continue to play the round and round game or you can share your views on a $600 unemployment kicker versus a payroll tax reduction.

Reply/Quote
(07-26-2020, 10:39 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Doesn't need to be a "good reason" (who, besides you, determines that anyway); it simply needs to not qualify as misconduct,

For the 4th time:

Are you seriously asking who determines if an employee misses work for a good reason? The employer.

I’m assuming you were in at least one leadership position while in the Army. In what world would “I couldn’t make it” be an acceptable excuse for a PVT not coming to work?

Stop the trolling. Seriously.
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2020, 11:38 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Are you seriously asking who determines if an employee misses work for a good reason?  The employer.

I’m assuming you were in at least one leadership position while in the Army. In what world would “I couldn’t make it” be an acceptable excuse for a PVT not coming to work?

Stop the trolling. Seriously.

You're right. I'll defer to your vast knowledge of KY employment law.

I'll stop trolling now and I guess this was just too hard to do:

Reply/Quote