Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 4.29 Average
Coronavirus Information...who do you trust?
(08-10-2020, 11:15 AM)michaelsean Wrote: OK someone already forgot Miss Beadle.  

Shut up, Jim Bob.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2020, 10:47 AM)Mer Wrote: All those places and yet you're still alive. Shocker!

That's nothing...I've lived in Chicago and East Liberty and I never even got mugged, shot, or held at gunpoint...either crime isn't real or I'm just such a badass people are on their best behavior around me.
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2020, 10:47 AM)Mer Wrote: All those places and yet you're still alive. Shocker!

[Image: 31381726-0-image-a-19_1596129547575.jpg]

Currently, Covid-19 is the fourth leading cause of death in the US and will be the 3rd leading cause by month's end.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/leading-causes-of-death.htm
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2020, 11:25 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Shut up, Jim Bob.

I'm not even going to dignify that with a response.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote

I am fortunate. 163k others were not. Or the 5m who will live with some residual effects. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(08-10-2020, 08:12 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I am fortunate. 163k others were not. Or the 5m who will live with some residual effects. 

That is something often overlooked. There are potentially long-lasting cardiovascular effects they are finding. We just won't know how serious until long down the road.

On a bright spot, one of the potential reasons for asymptomatic cases is previous exposure to one of the common cold coronaviruses. For those that didn't know, the common cold is not a single virus, but a number of different viruses that present in a similar way. A handful of those viruses are in the coronavirus family and it seems like exposure to these has caused T-cells in those individuals to recognize the COVID-19 virus. This could mean that somewhere between 20-50% of people in some areas may have a partial immunity.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/06/health/coronavirus-immune-cells.html
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
While the first video is just an example of bad governing I'm posting this for the bad/dangerous information in the second video.  I'll figure out how to separate them one day.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
He literally doesn't understand anything.

Reply/Quote
Time to ditch the bandannas and gaiters.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/neck-gaiters-may-actually-increase-covid-19-transmission-study-finds-183034882.html
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(08-10-2020, 08:40 PM)GMDino Wrote: While the first video is just an example of bad governing I'm posting this for the bad/dangerous information in the second video.  I'll figure out how to separate them one day.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/how-deadly-is-covid-19-for-children-here-s-what-we-know-1.5023528

Just a little perspective.  No children are not immune, but they are extremely low risk according to this article, and unlikely to transmit to adults if asymptomatic.  I don't know what CTV news is so I guess take it with a grain of salt.

Reply/Quote
(08-11-2020, 09:25 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Time to ditch the bandannas and gaiters.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/neck-gaiters-may-actually-increase-covid-19-transmission-study-finds-183034882.html

Not surprising. I had people ask me why I got masks when I have several of those gaiters and it's because of this, which I suspected. Those gaiters, at least the ones I have that are designed for fishing, are intended to be breathable. They aren't about keeping warm or protecting from anything other than the sun. I have a half-dozen or so and wear them regularly, but I still have a mask with me because it just made sense that they weren't effective. I used bandannas at first, until I got some better options, but those are my snot rags so I'd prefer they not be on my face like that. LOL
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2020, 09:31 AM)michaelsean Wrote: https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/how-deadly-is-covid-19-for-children-here-s-what-we-know-1.5023528

Just a little perspective.  No children are not immune, but they are extremely low risk according to this article, and unlikely to transmit to adults if asymptomatic.  I don't know what CTV news is so I guess take it with a grain of salt.

I talked about this just a couple weeks ago with a doctor and he said studies at the time were showing that younger children were less likely to get sick.  But yesterday I heard on the radio a story that NOW they are saying children may be better carriers than previously thought.

My quote that it is hard to understand history when you are living it stands.  It will be some time before we fully understand everything about this new virus and hopefully we will be able to learn for the next one.  For example we are already learning that this virus is NOT like the flu in that it didn't just subside with summer but rather remained very contagious and prevalent.  Might be good to not assume things like that going forward.
Reply/Quote
Stolen from Facebook.

What is the end game with the ‘rona? Anyone? ?

What is the magic formula that is going to allow us to sound the “all clear”? Is it zero cases? For a while, the goal was to simply “flatten the curve,” but now that we are disconnecting utilities for gatherings in California, setting up check points in New York, and recommending goggles (what’s next?), it seems as if there is, in fact, no end game. And, truthfully, the only way that we will see numbers drop is if we cease testing and stop reporting. Bear in mind that hundreds of thousands have shown up to be tested, registered, left due to long waits, and still come up positive when they received their results. ??‍♀️

Is it a vaccine?? It took 25 years for a chicken pox vaccine to be developed. The smallpox inoculation was discovered in 1776 and the last known natural case was in 1977. We have a flu vaccine that is only 40 to 60% effective (that’s generous- the last two years it was more like 20-25%), less than half of the US population chooses to get one, and roughly 20,000 Americans still die annually due to flu or flu complications.

Oh, you'll mandate it in order to attend school, travel to some foreign countries, etc.? We already have a growing number of vaccine researchers refusing proven, tested, well-known vaccines that have been administered for decades! Do you really believe the majority of people will flock to get a fast-tracked vaccine, whose long-term side effects and overall efficacy rates are anyone's best guess? How long are we going to cancel? Postpone? Reconsider?

Now we are advised against in-person school until second quarter? What if October's numbers are the same as August's? Then what?

Move football to spring? What if next March is worse than this March?

When do we decide quality of life outweighs risk?

We understand this virus can be deadly for SOME, but so are shellfish, peanut butter, and bee stings. We take risks every day without a second thought.

We know driving a car can be dangerous, but we don't leave it parked in the garage for months on end. We know the dangers of smoking, drinking, and eating fried foods, but we do it, none-the-less. We speed on highways, some idiots still don't buckle their seatbelts, we take medications more than “as directed,” and a good number of individuals don't think twice about unprotected sex.

Is hugging Grandma really more dangerous than rush hour on the freeway? Is going to a bar with friends more risky than four day old gas station sushi? Or operating a chainsaw?

When and how did we so quickly lose our free will?

I want a waiver that says, "I understand the risks, but I choose a life with hugs, smiles, college athletics, the state fair, concerts, and school dances."

I understand that there is a minuscule possibility I could die but, more probable, I will end up feeling like junk for a few days.

I understand I could possibly pass this virus onto someone else, but I can pass ANY virus onto someone else at any time until the end of time.

Are we busy living or busy dying?

It’s hard to tell these days.
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
Russia claims to have a vaccine...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2020, 11:00 AM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: Stolen from Facebook.

What is the end game with the ‘rona? Anyone? ?

What is the magic formula that is going to allow us to sound the “all clear”? Is it zero cases? For a while, the goal was to simply “flatten the curve,” but now that we are disconnecting utilities for gatherings in California, setting up check points in New York, and recommending goggles (what’s next?), it seems as if there is, in fact, no end game. And, truthfully, the only way that we will see numbers drop is if we cease testing and stop reporting. Bear in mind that hundreds of thousands have shown up to be tested, registered, left due to long waits, and still come up positive when they received their results. ??‍♀️

Is it a vaccine?? It took 25 years for a chicken pox vaccine to be developed. The smallpox inoculation was discovered in 1776 and the last known natural case was in 1977. We have a flu vaccine that is only 40 to 60% effective (that’s generous- the last two years it was more like 20-25%), less than half of the US population chooses to get one, and roughly 20,000 Americans still die annually due to flu or flu complications.

Oh, you'll mandate it in order to attend school, travel to some foreign countries, etc.? We already have a growing number of vaccine researchers refusing proven, tested, well-known vaccines that have been administered for decades! Do you really believe the majority of people will flock to get a fast-tracked vaccine, whose long-term side effects and overall efficacy rates are anyone's best guess? How long are we going to cancel? Postpone? Reconsider?

Now we are advised against in-person school until second quarter? What if October's numbers are the same as August's? Then what?

Move football to spring? What if next March is worse than this March?

When do we decide quality of life outweighs risk?

We understand this virus can be deadly for SOME, but so are shellfish, peanut butter, and bee stings. We take risks every day without a second thought.

We know driving a car can be dangerous, but we don't leave it parked in the garage for months on end. We know the dangers of smoking, drinking, and eating fried foods, but we do it, none-the-less. We speed on highways, some idiots still don't buckle their seatbelts, we take medications more than “as directed,” and a good number of individuals don't think twice about unprotected sex.

Is hugging Grandma really more dangerous than rush hour on the freeway? Is going to a bar with friends more risky than four day old gas station sushi? Or operating a chainsaw?

When and how did we so quickly lose our free will?

I want a waiver that says, "I understand the risks, but I choose a life with hugs, smiles, college athletics, the state fair, concerts, and school dances."

I understand that there is a minuscule possibility I could die but, more probable, I will end up feeling like junk for a few days.

I understand I could possibly pass this virus onto someone else, but I can pass ANY virus onto someone else at any time until the end of time.

Are we busy living or busy dying?

It’s hard to tell these days.

The problem with all of this, and similar attitudes, is that it isn't just about the individual saying these things. When people flout the masking ordinances, social distancing, etc., it's not just themselves they put at risk but everyone they interact with. If you are willing to put yourself at risk, fine, I don't care. However, the reason why the government has the authority to put out these mandates is because what you choose to do has an impact on all of those around you. The old saying about "your rights end at the tip of my nose" comes into play here because going out without a mask and getting in close to people infringes on their rights. Does it suck? Sure does. But we just need to deal with it and think of someone other than yourself.

Reply/Quote
(08-11-2020, 11:19 AM)jason Wrote: Russia claims to have a vaccine...

They do their vaccines differently.  They are applying Phase 3 to the general public.  Whereas our phase 3 tests are still done in a closed environment. We are more cautious to the side effects end of it, before it becomes available and approved to the general public.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2020, 11:28 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: The problem with all of this, and similar attitudes, is that it isn't just about the individual saying these things. When people flout the masking ordinances, social distancing, etc., it's not just themselves they put at risk but everyone they interact with. If you are willing to put yourself at risk, fine, I don't care. However, the reason why the government has the authority to put out these mandates is because what you choose to do has an impact on all of those around you. The old saying about "your rights end at the tip of my nose" comes into play here because going out without a mask and getting in close to people infringes on their rights. Does it suck? Sure does. But we just need to deal with it and think of someone other than yourself.

Yep, people don't seem to realize living your life unafraid and unencumbered by covid regulations is more akin to driving drunk than not wearing your seatbelt.  Yes, you are putting yourself at risk and that's fine but you are putting others at risk and that is not fine.

But hey, I can either sit at home all scared of life and the outside world or I can truly live and drink to excess and then get behind the wheel of an automobile and possibly kill myself and others.  I mean, we take risks every day...are people so afraid of living?  Sad.

THere you go, Ted Kennedy could have stayed at home and hid but no, he went out and LIVED and you know what...someone died because of him but hey the flu could have killed her so feh...
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2020, 10:13 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Not surprising. I had people ask me why I got masks when I have several of those gaiters and it's because of this, which I suspected. Those gaiters, at least the ones I have that are designed for fishing, are intended to be breathable. They aren't about keeping warm or protecting from anything other than the sun. I have a half-dozen or so and wear them regularly, but I still have a mask with me because it just made sense that they weren't effective. I used bandannas at first, until I got some better options, but those are my snot rags so I'd prefer they not be on my face like that. LOL

Speaking of snotrags, you may be too young to have a father who carried a handkerchief around.  The handkerchief he blew his nose in was the same handkerchief he pulled out to clean your mouth off.  Often after spitting on it a little.

Reply/Quote
(08-11-2020, 11:40 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Speaking of snotrags, you may be too young to have a father who carried a handkerchief around.  The handkerchief he blew his nose in was the same handkerchief he pulled out to clean your mouth off.  Often after spitting on it a little.

Not only did my father always carry a handkerchief, I always carry a handkerchief. However, I have no memory of my father doing this, so I may have avoided this particular thing.

Reply/Quote
(08-11-2020, 09:25 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Time to ditch the bandannas and gaiters.

I think we need to be more conscious about the materials used to make the neck gaiter or bandana rather than just getting rid of them.

I had a neck gaiter made out of polypro and it kept my neck and face warm if there was no wind. I have a nomex neck gaiter that I used when I rode my motorcycle and it didn’t allow any wind to cut through it. That thing is worth it’s weight in gold to me.

One analogy could be sunglasses. Some block UV light and some don’t. We don’t need to get rid of all sunglasses, just don’t use the ones that are useless for UV light.
Reply/Quote