Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 4.29 Average
Coronavirus Information...who do you trust?
Interesting article on the economic impacts of the pandemic: https://marker.medium.com/forget-shutdowns-its-demand-shock-that-s-killing-our-economy-3062e94c122e
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2020, 02:48 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Interesting article on the economic impacts of the pandemic: https://marker.medium.com/forget-shutdowns-its-demand-shock-that-s-killing-our-economy-3062e94c122e

Check out Totally Under Control on Hulu.
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2020, 11:36 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Rolleyes

I stated I was wrong about that because it's difficult to spread unless someone sneezes or coughs and you're inside in a closed setting (or if someone sneezes or coughs right in your face).

Furthermore, that comment offered nothing to the conversation.

How childish can you be?

I know many children who understand how a virus spreads and didn’t fall for and exacerbate dangerous misinformation. They should speak to you.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2020, 01:19 AM)Vas Deferens Wrote: I know many children who understand how a virus spreads and didn’t fall for and exacerbate dangerous misinformation.   They should speak to you.

If I were to make a personal attack like that on someone, we all know what would happen.........

Funny.

Once again, though, you have nothing of anything with any substance to offer.

Furthermore, I know many children who understand that all viruses are not spread the same way

Take for instance HIV, which is the human immunodeficiency virus (kind of serious) is NOT spread through the air.

I know many children who know that.  They should speak to you.  Actually, the children you know that understand that should speak to you since you don't understand it.  

ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2020, 12:02 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Check out Totally Under Control on Hulu.

Amen.

We got through about half last night and will finish it tonight.

Also wanted to update my own situation:

Earlier in the thread I mentioned that the virus had made it to my wife's work place.

Since the initial positive test (who is still off work with symptoms three weeks later) they are up to 25 people with positive tests including two within working distance of my wife.  Although they have been extra vigilant (they are essential and could not close down unless in the most extreme circumstances) the people with positive test results are close enough to her that my wife is going for a test today.  Her only symptoms are a headache and sinus problems, which I also have a sinus thing right now and attribute to my annual sinus problems when it gets warm in fall.  So hopefully by Monday at the latest we will know if she is positive or not.

In the mean time we were already off the rest of the week and I was to drive my 75 year old father to a hospital for a procedure on Monday.  I don't want to risk getting him or my mother sick but as I am the only option right now we will both wear masks in the vehicle and be as careful as possible.

All because one employee could not stay out of the bar and some of the others went to political rallies mask less because they 'didn't believe" in the virus being "that bad".

Just wear the masks, social distance and wash your hands.  It is, literally, the very least you can do to help your fellow citizen.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2020, 08:50 AM)GMDino Wrote: Amen.

Earlier in the thread I mentioned that the virus had made it to my wife's work place.

Since the initial positive test (who is still off work with symptoms three weeks later) they are up to 25 people with positive tests including two within working distance of my wife.  Although they have been extra vigilant (they are essential and could not close down unless in the most extreme circumstances) the people with positive test results are close enough to her that my wife is going for a test today.  Her only symptoms are a headache and sinus problems, which I also have a sinus thing right now and attribute to my annual sinus problems when it gets warm in fall.  So hopefully by Monday at the latest we will know if she is positive or not.

In the mean time we were already off the rest of the week and I was to drive my 75 year old father to a hospital for a procedure on Monday.  I don't want to risk getting him or my mother sick but as I am the only option right now we will both wear masks in the vehicle and be as careful as possible.

All because one employee could not stay out of the bar and some of the others went to political rallies mask less because they 'didn't believe" in the virus being "that bad".

Just wear the masks, social distance and wash your hands.  It is, literally, the very least you can do to help your fellow citizen.

When I was up in August to deal with some things, I had to rely on takeout for all of my meals as I was staying in a hotel and my uncle's place isn't exactly delivery distance from anywhere. One of the favorites of my family is Gorky's in Mt. Pleasant. I don't know why, the food wasn't very good, but I was just taken aback by the attitudes toward mask-wearing and distancing that were going on in there. How I ended up coming home from two trips there in the past couple of months without catching it is a mystery to me.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2020, 09:07 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: When I was up in August to deal with some things, I had to rely on takeout for all of my meals as I was staying in a hotel and my uncle's place isn't exactly delivery distance from anywhere. One of the favorites of my family is Gorky's in Mt. Pleasant. I don't know why, the food wasn't very good, but I was just taken aback by the attitudes toward mask-wearing and distancing that were going on in there. How I ended up coming home from two trips there in the past couple of months without catching it is a mystery to me.

We frequent a local place and one of the owners is strictly "be careful but quit letting this dominate your life" about the virus.  The location is VERY good but the patrons aren't.  Every place we have had take out from has been pretty good though with the masks...just not the people eating there.

But people are getting lax and it is coming home to roost.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2020, 08:50 AM)GMDino Wrote: Amen.

Because the incubation period is 1-2 weeks with the average being one week, you could test negative initially and positive days later as we saw with the White House outbreak.  The safest thing would be to postpone your dad's procedure if possible.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2020, 12:18 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Because the incubation period is 1-2 weeks with the average being one week, you could test negative initially and positive days later as we saw with the White House outbreak.  The safest thing would be to postpone your dad's procedure if possible.

So at this point she would 10 days isolated from the one co-worker she was in closest contact with (still social distancing and with masks) who tested positive.  We are playing it day by day but I appreciate the information.  This is one of those things we may or may not be able to postpone and we are working on an alternative way to get him there.
Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/25/politics/mark-meadows-controlling-coronavirus-pandemic-cnntv/index.html

Jake Tapper and Mark Meadows sparred on the administration's failings on Covid, specifically with regards to Pence not quarantining after multiple staffers tested positive. Tapper challenged the argument of calling Pence an essential employee to justify him campaigning.

At one point Meadows said "We are not going to control the pandemic. We are going to control the fact that we get vaccines, therapeutics and other mitigation areas" and that this was "Because it is a contagious virus just like the flu."

Meadows' comments that the White House is focused on treatment rather than preventing the spread doesn't help Trump with just over a week to go before the election. Pence is scheduled to campaign across the US every day until the election.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(10-26-2020, 12:08 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/25/politics/mark-meadows-controlling-coronavirus-pandemic-cnntv/index.html

Jake Tapper and Mark Meadows sparred on the administration's failings on Covid, specifically with regards to Pence not quarantining after multiple staffers tested positive. Tapper challenged the argument of calling Pence an essential employee to justify him campaigning.

At one point Meadows said "We are not going to control the pandemic. We are going to control the fact that we get vaccines, therapeutics and other mitigation areas" and that this was "Because it is a contagious virus just like the flu."

Meadows' comments that the White House is focused on treatment rather than preventing the spread doesn't help Trump with just over a week to go before the election. Pence is scheduled to campaign across the US every day until the election.

They’ve never been focused on prevention. They’ve been focused on downplaying it because it will eventually go away like a miracle.
Reply/Quote
Sounds France is going into another lockdown.

At least, you never had a second wave for you are still on the first.

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
(10-22-2020, 07:45 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: If I were to make a personal attack like that on someone, we all know what would happen.........

Funny.

Once again, though, you have nothing of anything with any substance to offer.

Furthermore, I know many children who understand that all viruses are not spread the same way

Take for instance HIV, which is the human immunodeficiency virus (kind of serious) is NOT spread through the air.

I know many children who know that.  They should speak to you.  Actually, the children you know that understand that should speak to you since you don't understand it.  

ThumbsUp

I have to hand it to you, your practice of starting off by claiming to be a victim of personal attacks and unable to retaliate due to unfair standards and bias against you BEFORE you launch into personal attacks is pure poetry.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2020, 04:27 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I have to hand it to you, your practice of starting off by claiming to be a victim of personal attacks and unable to retaliate due to unfair standards and bias against you BEFORE you launch into personal attacks is pure poetry.

Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious

I pointed out how it was a personal attack, and then I post facts, and then, as you call it, I make a "personal attack" which was directly just countering his personal attack.  

Read his post before you start accusing me of personal attacks and realize that I was just using his personal attack against him.

ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2020, 11:11 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious

I pointed out how it was a personal attack, and then I post facts, and then, as you call it, I make a "personal attack" which was directly just countering his personal attack.  

Read his post before you start accusing me of personal attacks and realize that I was just using his personal attack against him.

ThumbsUp

So you admit you were:

1. complaining that you can't make personal attacks
2. making a personal attack
Reply/Quote
https://www.washingtonpost.com/video/politics/36-times-trump-said-the-coronavirus-would-go-away/2020/04/30/d2593312-9593-4ec2-aff7-72c1438fca0e_video.html

I think it will just go away.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2020, 11:23 PM)Nately120 Wrote: So you admit you were:

1. complaining that you can't make personal attacks
2. making a personal attack

Rolleyes

Way too totally take it out of context and change the subject to avoid admitting that you were wrong.

1.  Just stating facts off of actual events.

2.  It was pointing out the irony and hypocrisy, which isn't really a personal attack.
Reply/Quote
I believe its all bullshit. I think its real, but nothing more than the regular flu. Hell i was just in vegas on fremont street CROWDED no mask.. I got tested when i came back..nothing.
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2020, 06:50 AM)Nati#1 Wrote: I believe its all bullshit. I think its real, but nothing more than the regular flu. Hell i was just in vegas on fremont street CROWDED no mask.. I got tested when i came back..nothing.

How many flu seasons have killed +226K people (and counting) in the US alone?

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/symptoms/flu-vs-covid19.htm

Quote:COVID-19 seems to spread more easily than flu and causes more serious illnesses in some people.
Reply/Quote