Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 4.29 Average
Coronavirus Information...who do you trust?
(11-14-2020, 01:02 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: brined with Worcestershire sauce and McCormick's Sweet and Smokey rub overnight. 

2 hours at 180
1 hour at 220
2 hours at 350 until it was about 175.

Bird was 13lbs, so for a larger bird you may need to go up to 4 hours at 350. 

Tender, juicy, and a great smokey taste.

I bought a frozen turkey and find out they are all pre-injected so I’m wondering can/should I still brine it? (Btw...I’ve never made a turkey before so I’ve just learned about brining. ) Is this pre-injection good enough? My memory on science is the salt between the brine and the injection should equal out, but if the solution in the turkey is a higher concentrate, then it’s not going to pull any of my brine in anyway. It will actually pull some salt out of the bird which is ok as long as the level of the salt in my brine is sufficient as it equals out. So then I turn to the MFing internet. Some say reduce the salt in the brine by half so it’s not too salty. But now my science from 100 years ago is saying if I do that then when it equals out there won’t be enough salt. Some say skip it,(which is probably safest) but then I don’t get to add any flavor via brining.( Now after reading that “paragraph” I feel as if some sort of COVID delirium must have set in.).
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2020, 01:42 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I bought a frozen turkey and find out they are all pre-injected so I’m wondering can/should I still brine it? (Btw...I’ve never made a turkey before so I’ve just learned about brining. ) Is this pre-injection good enough? My memory on science is the salt between the brine and the injection should equal out, but if the solution in the turkey is a higher concentrate, then it’s not going to pull any of my brine in anyway. It will actually pull some salt out of the bird which is ok as long as the level of the salt in my brine is sufficient as it equals out. So then I turn to the MFing internet. Some say reduce the salt in the brine by half so it’s not too salty. But now my science from 100 years ago is saying if I do that then when it equals out there won’t be enough salt.  Some say skip it,(which is probably safest) but then I don’t get to add any flavor via brining.( Now after reading that “paragraph” I feel as if some sort of COVID delirium must have set in.).

If it's pre-injected, I'd leave it be. Focus on the rub and once it's cooked you can determine for next time if the injection was enough.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(11-14-2020, 02:24 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: If it's pre-injected, I'd leave it be. Focus on the rub and once it's cooked you can determine for next time if the injection was enough.

I wanted a traditional profile so I went with a rub I found online. The ingredient list reads like a Simon and Garfunkel song.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(11-16-2020, 03:35 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I wanted a traditional profile so I went with a rub I found online. The ingredient list reads like a Simon and Garfunkel song.

haha, this is my go to:

[Image: 81T6LpDDfnL._SX425_.jpg]

They're Baltimore based, the people who make Old Bay. Not sure which other states they distribute to. I need to make it on my own in big batches, though, because it can get expensive.

Reply/Quote
I was going to be going to PA to pick up some things from my uncle's house, but I'm holding off because of COVID. I'm sad, because I would've come home with a couple of smokers and I was looking forward to smoking a turkey, this year.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2020, 03:35 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I wanted a traditional profile so I went with a rub I found online. The ingredient list reads like a Simon and Garfunkel song.

How did it turn out?

Reply/Quote
(11-16-2020, 03:47 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I was going to be going to PA to pick up some things from my uncle's house, but I'm holding off because of COVID. I'm sad, because I would've come home with a couple of smokers and I was looking forward to smoking a turkey, this year.

What kind of smokers?

Reply/Quote
(11-16-2020, 03:52 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: How did it turn out?

It’s going to be for Thanksgiving.

Reply/Quote
(11-16-2020, 03:40 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: haha, this is my go to:

[Image: 81T6LpDDfnL._SX425_.jpg]

They're Baltimore based, the people who make Old Bay. Not sure which other states they distribute to. I need to make it on my own in big batches, though, because it can get expensive.

McCormick? They’re everywhere around here.

Reply/Quote
(11-16-2020, 03:58 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: What kind of smokers?

One electric, and one barrel. There is also a pretty nice grill that doesn't look like it's ever been used. All are things I've been wanting, but haven't wanted to spend the money on.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2020, 04:06 PM)michaelsean Wrote: McCormick?  They’re everywhere around here.

Okay, didn't know if it was regional or not. That's a good one and really versatile. 

Reply/Quote
Well I’m set meat wise for a while once I’ve practiced with my smoker on Thanksgiving. Got a 16lb packer at $1.99lb and two ten lb pork butts at $.99lb.

Oh yeah to keep this on topic I did test positive. No symptoms outside of the taste and smell which really sucks. Isolate ten days from first symptom as long as symptoms are improving of which I really don’t have any. I don’t consider taste and smell like the other symptoms as it’s return is a function of healing and can linger for weeks or more, and not indicative that you still have the virus.

Reply/Quote
(11-16-2020, 04:09 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Okay, didn't know if it was regional or not. That's a good one and really versatile. 

Didn’t know they were Baltimore. I don’t think I knew they were Old Bay either.

Reply/Quote
(11-16-2020, 04:12 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Oh yeah to keep this on topic I did test positive. No symptoms outside of the taste and smell which really sucks. Isolate ten days from first symptom as long as symptoms are improving of which I really don’t have any. I don’t consider taste and smell like the other symptoms as it’s return is a function of healing and can linger for weeks or more, and not indicative that you still have the virus.

I had to have a test done before I had my guts checked out. I had the brain tickler type, which wasn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be. I tested negative, though, so I got to go through with having a doctor look at my insides from both ends.

Reply/Quote
(11-16-2020, 04:27 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I had to have a test done before I had my guts checked out. I had the brain tickler type, which wasn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be. I tested negative, though, so I got to go through with having a doctor look at my insides from both ends.

I thought it was pretty bad, but I had an idea of what it would be like. I imagine the early people who didn’t know what was coming were a bit shocked.

Reply/Quote
(11-16-2020, 04:12 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Well I’m set meat wise for a while once I’ve practiced with my smoker on Thanksgiving. Got a 16lb packer at $1.99lb and two ten lb pork butts at $.99lb.

Oh yeah to keep this on topic I did test positive.  No symptoms outside of the taste and smell which really sucks. Isolate ten days from first symptom as long as symptoms are improving of which I really don’t have any. I don’t consider taste and smell like the other symptoms as it’s return is a function of healing and can linger for weeks or more, and not indicative that you still have the virus.

Pulled pork is probably what I do best on the smoker. Lots of value compared to something like a brisket. 

Reply/Quote
And I don’t know if this is another side effect, but my farts don’t smell. I can let them go anywhere and nobody is the wiser.

Reply/Quote
(11-16-2020, 04:38 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I thought it was pretty bad, but I had an idea of what it would be like. I imagine the early people who didn’t know what was coming were a bit shocked.

I also think the people that have had to do it themselves have a hard time of it. Being able to have a nurse do it for you is probably better than you trying to figure out how deep to go on yourself.

Reply/Quote
(11-16-2020, 04:48 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I also think the people that have had to do it themselves have a hard time of it. Being able to have a nurse do it for you is probably better than you trying to figure out how deep to go on yourself.

Oh hell I didn’t know people had to do it themselves. That would blow.

Reply/Quote
Forgot to add to my last post, my sister just tested positive too. Her brother in law got it from working at the Post Office and passed it to some family members. Fortunately she didn't visit our grandmother during that time. She's been at home resting up, nothing too bad.

Reply/Quote